Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputa

In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own reputation - The Telegraph
by Brendan O'Neill

Excerpt:

But it isn't Morrissey we should be slating here; it's Penguin. In agreeing to publish Moz's apparently revealing life story as a classic, Penguin has unwittingly set fire to its own reputation. It has shown itself willing to cave in spectacularly to cultural relativism, to embrace the modern fashion for eschewing judgment in favour of squawking: "Everything is equally valid."

Also similarly, link posted by mozzeriansaroundtheworld / Tumblr:

Boyd Tonkin: Morrissey gets what he wants, and Penguin Classics sinks in the Ship Canal - The Independent

Excerpt:

This they don't teach you at business school. How do you wreck overnight the reputation of a global brand that, since 1946, has built up its worldwide trust on the basis of consistent excellence, expert selection and a commitment to pick and sell only the very best? Easy, really. You chuck 67 years of editorial rigour and learning out of the corporate window and kowtow to the whims of a petulant pop icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

Bit daft of him to call it a classic if his book turns out to be a pile of dogshit, he's gonna feel like a right silly sausage if that's the case.

Morrissey doesn't care he loves courting controversy, loves it. The publishing industry has changed. This is a question for Penguin not Morrissey, and the proof is in the pudding. I hope it lives up to our wildest dreams.

Re: Article: "In publishing Morrissey's autobiography as a classic, Penguin has destroyed its own re

Dumb.
They're missing the point -- Morrissey is the only person they'd probably do this for. I can't imagine there will be another. It's a one-off for all time. Journos toiling away for years with scant recognition... Build your own art and myth then, you lazy sods!
it is interesting to consider who they would dole this out for other than Morrissey :guitar:
perhaps someone like David Bowie? I'd read that as well :thumb:

Murdoch seems to hate Morrissey

all publicity is good wether is positive or negative, but Rupert has ordered all his journalist to
get the booksale downspiral

well it won't work so much sold already in pre-sale

'and they say he's mentall'... journalist lie and amazon BP paperback 6.35

Reading the sycophantic posts on here is worrying. Moz can do no wrong and walks on water. Why doesn't he just go all the way and have it published as one of the Gospels? Moz has descended into psychotic megalomania. Penguin haven't or wouldn't do this for anyone else because no artist has been so grandiose to issue such a ridiculous ultimatum. It may well be a classic. It may be 500 pages of ranting and rambling. Let the reader decide...

It is entirely the decision of the editorial staff of Penguin which books to release under which imprint. Penguin is a very, very savvy house and are only improving the quality of their books over time. They devote time and resources to new cover art, new introductory material, and new translations, as well as curating editions in series which help keep classics relevant and which showcase newer writing of top quality. They are, of all things, NOT literary snobs--exactly the opposite. Their current editorial staff are doing a tremendous job of carrying on Allen Lane's legacy of bringing great books across genres to ordinary people. He would be thrilled beyond belief to see the direction the house is going. Subverting the idea of a "classic," and making room for new classics, is entirely the point of Penguin's mission.

This is not a zero-sum game. Publishing M's autobiography doesn't diminish the value of any other book they publish--or the merits of those works. They are rightfully acknowledging his accomplishments as a powerful and unique artist who has done and said things nobody else has ever done and said. He is also an unsung expert in pop music, particularly British pop music, from the 50s through today. Think of it this way: think of him going to virtually every gig in Manchester from 1974 or 76 through the time the Smiths broke big. What would you give to read a book by someone who had seen all of that? "I Swear I Was There"? HE WAS. I'm dying to read it for that reason alone.

The book itself, while it may be very idiosyncratic, is not going to be bad. If it was truly awful, they would not have agreed to publish it, no matter how hard anyone begged.

Further, it would be a tremendous honor to be published by Penguin. Ask any writer you know--without exception, Penguin is the house we'd most like to publish our work.

So, frankly, I don't care if you worked in a newsagents for a year or whatever--unless you actually work in publishing or bookselling, keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Frameable.

It is entirely the decision of the editorial staff of Penguin which books to release under which imprint. Penguin is a very, very savvy house and are only improving the quality of their books over time. They devote time and resources to new cover art, new introductory material, and new translations, as well as curating editions in series which help keep classics relevant and which showcase newer writing of top quality. They are, of all things, NOT literary snobs--exactly the opposite. Their current editorial staff are doing a tremendous job of carrying on Allen Lane's legacy of bringing great books across genres to ordinary people. He would be thrilled beyond belief to see the direction the house is going. Subverting the idea of a "classic," and making room for new classics, is entirely the point of Penguin's mission.

This is not a zero-sum game. Publishing M's autobiography doesn't diminish the value of any other book they publish--or the merits of those works. They are rightfully acknowledging his accomplishments as a powerful and unique artist who has done and said things nobody else has ever done and said. He is also an unsung expert in pop music, particularly British pop music, from the 50s through today. Think of it this way: think of him going to virtually every gig in Manchester from 1974 or 76 through the time the Smiths broke big. What would you give to read a book by someone who had seen all of that? "I Swear I Was There"? HE WAS. I'm dying to read it for that reason alone.

The book itself, while it may be very idiosyncratic, is not going to be bad. If it was truly awful, they would not have agreed to publish it, no matter how hard anyone begged.

Further, it would be a tremendous honor to be published by Penguin. Ask any writer you know--without exception, Penguin is the house we'd most like to publish our work.

So, frankly, I don't care if you worked in a newsagents for a year or whatever--unless you actually work in publishing or bookselling, keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Not terribly impressive writing, is it? Ad hominem attacks and decontextualized quotes served up by a journalist so prejudiced and bloody-minded, he almost justifies Morrissey's famous paranoia. Hell, maybe it's Morrissey himself, under a pseudonym, trying to beat the hatchet men at their own game.

I have to say, I'm impressed by Morrissey. Six months ago, he was Sicknote Steve - fat, failed, washed-up, taking time off from his exciting tour of South American backwaters to go see bloody Soundgarden play in LA. Now, he's got a product that people are excited about for the first time since You Are the Quarry and a group of stuffy op-ed writers grinding their pearls to a fine paste over him, making him seem like this great literary badass. All for repurposing an old, venerable brand logo (which he has done for the entirety of his solo career, right up until Quarry was published on the obscure reggae label Attack!), and for teasing the possibility that he might let us know who he's been f***ing all this time.

God forbid Penguin leverage their brand to make a little cash to keep the wolf from the door. Isn't that the whole point of branding? Does anyone here work in publishing these days? Not easy, is it? Somehow, I doubt that those well-designed, accessibly-priced editions of Plutarch and Flaubert are contributing much toward rent.

Kudos to PregnantForTheLastTime - excellent post.

Last edited:

a3iasx.png

.So, frankly, I don't care if you worked in a newsagents for a year or whatever--unless you actually work in publishing or bookselling, keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Er...Yes...Who on earth are you talking to, Pregs? Good to see you btw.
Come on, relax a little, if people were only allowed to have informed opinions, Morrissey himself would never be able to say anything...:)

Er, no it wasn't because clearly Morrissey FORCED the editorial staff to do his bidding by threatening to have it published elsewhere - Wordsworth Classics perhaps?

- Wordsworth Classics perhaps?

more like Ladybird books:

v0_master.jpg

Dumb.
They're missing the point -- Morrissey is the only person they'd probably do this for. I can't imagine there will be another. It's a one-off for all time. Journos toiling away for years with scant recognition... Build your own art and myth then, you lazy sods!

Spot on! :thumb:

Bowie would certainly be a coup. But despite some phenomenal lyrics in his back catalogue, he's never been seen as a "wordsmith" the way Morrissey has. Mick Jagger, too, has shown a lot of wit over the decades with more than enough stunning lyrics, and yet...

You'll get trolls and sophisticated haters on here going on about Morrissey's "sixth form" prose but the fact is Morrissey's considered the most literate pop star of his generation, and perhaps ever. When you come up with a timeless lyric like "Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind rule the body? I don´t know..." a gaffe like "Everyday is like Sunday" or some awkward prose and failed attempts at trying to be brilliant in interviews are beyond forgivable.

it is interesting to consider who they would dole this out for other than Morrissey :guitar:
perhaps someone like David Bowie? I'd read that as well :thumb:

Last edited:

the critics who can't break you...

The disagreement between Moz and Penguin was over the cover itself, I have the original promo cover...

ap7oef.jpg

I've been working at FIBF this week and popped round the Penguin stand today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 12
The problem with most people is that they just can't take a joke. A profound joke is always #egalitarian by design.

Congrats, M'sies. I wubs you — Wozzles

Penguin should release the audio version of this book read by Morrissey in vinyl only. :D

Well put! That's how I see it too. Why are these journalists acting like Penguin made a bad move? As if the directors at Penguin aren't business savvy capitalist controlling shareholders who don't know what they are doing? And did the people really declare all those books to be classics in the first place? Not totally. The government tells students what to read. Before that the publishers had to say yes and do some marketing. Nothing is totally chosen by the people, except maybe submission.

cleary??
what a ludicrous statement.
Moz gets what he wants. Penguin make a fortune and someone somewhere gets irked through bitter jealousy.
so Mozza pushed a boundary, hardly the first time.
i'd say he comes out of it fully clothed and resplendant as ever.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom