Benedict Cumberbatch quotes Morrissey lyrics in interview

Via The Daily Beast:

Benedict Cumberbatch on 'The Imitation Game,' Homophobia, and How to Combat ISIS - The Daily Beast

DB: "There’s still a lot of homophobia in the U.S., as well."

BC: "Oh, the Christian far right? Yes. Very homophobic. You need to have a female president next, and then after that, a gay president. That’s the full journey from Obama’s legacy onwards. There’s a great Morrissey lyric from “America Is Not the World” from You Are the Quarry that goes, “In America, the land of the free, they said / And of opportunity, in a just and truthful way / But where the president is never black, female or gay, and until that day / You’ve got nothing to say to me, to help me believe.” It’s quite an old song from before Obama took office, but you’ve done black, then you need to do female, then the next, gay."

Last edited by a moderator:
In reference to Touring, in my industry and education background (Computer Information Technology), Touring has not been forgotten, and in fact, is revered. Ironically, this is in the same community that is comprised of predominantly right-wing gay-haters. I guess some people's loyalties are based on mathematics and science first, and their religion second. I'm guessing the author of the aforementioned comment is neither a scientist or a humasexual.

I assume you are talking about Alan Turing, not "Touring". First, computer scientists are not generally "right-wing gay-haters"; from my experience (as a gay, CS PhD), the best of us are quite liberal. Secondly, if they were, it would not be "ironic" -- ungrateful though (see http://notironic.com ). Third, what is a "humasexual"?

Back
Top Bottom