Best Boz/Moz song since (the year) 2000

Best Moz/Boz song since (the year) 2000

• Total voters

Maurice E

Martin J Boorer made a welcome return to the songwriting team for YOR after his contributions for ROTT were overlooked. So a good time, perhaps, to appraise his contributions since the (so called) wilderness years.
Generally, though, it's hard to deny that none of these songs comes close to his mid-90's stuff...

Last edited:
One day Goodbye.....is a stunning song. Love it and it is so real..
Cheers Moz

One day Goodbye.....is a stunning song. Love it and it is so real..
Cheers Moz

it's a cracking piece of music and, for that, we should certainly thank Martin B.
but some of the lyrics are pretty dire. Moz has given us some intriguing thoughts on the mysteries of the afterlife over the years but 'when I die I want to go to hell' certainly ain't one of them. 'the smiling children tell you that you smell' is another clanger.

it's in my top 5, Come Back to Camden.
beautiful and haunting.

Generally, though, it's hard to deny that none of these songs comes close to his mid-90's stuff...

Erm, I'd say Come Back to Camden, I'm Not Sorry, The World is Full of Crashing Bores, I Like You, That's How People Grow Up, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Black Cloud, One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, and possibly even Christian Dior are all easily on a par with 90s Moz material.

The rest are rather nice b-sides.

And you missed I'm Playing Easy To Get, not released but recorded, which is something of a lost gem...

Erm, I'd say Come Back to Camden, I'm Not Sorry, The World is Full of Crashing Bores, I Like You, That's How People Grow Up, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Black Cloud, One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, and possibly even Christian Dior are all easily on a par with 90s Moz material.

The rest are rather nice b-sides.

And you missed I'm Playing Easy To Get, not released but recorded, which is something of a lost gem...

yeah, I realised I'd missed 'Easy to Get' but it was just too late. don't think you can edit poll options.
not comparing these songs with 90's Moz material, generally, but with the Boz highlights (e.g. J the R, Now my heart, et cetera).

Great idea for a poll! Looking at the whole list, there are more gems than I thought.

I can't articulate it well but while Alain is my favourite Moz-solo collaborator, Boz does "pretty" songs better than any of Moz' many songwriting partners. It's very difficult to make a song pleasant without it being bland. Paris, Public Image, Christian Dior, Mexico and others achieve this very well. Camden is a beauty but the one case where Quarry's synthetic production was completely wrong, IMHO.

Boz' Vauxhall tracks, particularly Speedway and Now My Heart is Full are powerful, modern classics at the top of Morrissey's entire discography. He may not reach those heights but don't underestimate him! I wasn't sure about Boz' own description of Black Cloud as "mighty" but now agree that it is.

Finally, Bozman seems to be an extremely loyal friend to Morrissey, and not out of neediness (he has a well-established career of his own). This is very important to facilitate new Morrissey records. It's not just about guitar gymnastics.

I hope Boz is part of all future Morrissey records.

I'm Not Sorry and Christian Dior.

Forgot to mention that I voted for Christian Dior. There are other tracks that could take the top spot but I wanted to give CD its props.

I love the idea of Morrissey projecting through the life of Dior while capturing his slice of hedonism during his time in Italy against a backdrop of wasted years. Incredible vocal melody on this track.

you handsome devil:p

[don't ever made me choose 1]

so 'Come back to Camden'won it over
'the world is full of crashing bores'

Boz's best is Speedway but thats 6 years before 2000

:guitar:

bet next poll is best song moz/gannon :D

I Like You holds special meaning for me so therefore it is the one I choose...there is a person out there in the world who knows why...

Great comments from King Leer. I too went for Christian Dior but could’ve chosen Paris or Black Cloud (never known a Moz song to grow on me so much).

But am I the only person on Planet Earth who can’t flipping stand 'Come Back To Camden'? The synth strings are horrible. The lyrics are ludicrously clichéd (taxi drivers who never stop talking? There’s a thing!). The piano just plods and plods. The ‘I’ll be good line’ is childish and unfunny. Moz’s grammar is dreadful. I can’t stand it when people say ‘I’ when it should be ‘me’. It smacks of trying to be gramatically superior when you’re actually being a dim-witted buffoon. Then there's the clumsiness of the line 'discoloured, dark brown staircase'.
The whole thing is just ... yuck!

Aaargh! So it's just me who thinks The Public Image is an absolute gem? Vote with your hearts, folks, vote with your hearts, and make The Public Image the top song.

Peter

I voted for "I'm not sorry" because to be honest I don't remember most of the others. Sorry Mr Boorer. It wasn't entirely your fault either, sometimes someone else didn't do a very good job. Bloody awful mess of lyrics and dodgy predictable "in all the right places as a verse drags on like a month drags on" singing can't help any tune :sick:
Your ears must be as tired as mine Mr Boorer...Confess.

Can't blame you for your inspiration running dry...:rolleyes: Don't you long for some creative excitement? A change of theme perhaps?:lbf:
It's like a 9 to 5 office job isn't it... Like, dunno, a bank clerk...

I can't blame you, I really can't...

I'm not Surrey was :cool: though! And so say all the Essex girls :squiffy: er

Finally, Bozman seems to be an extremely loyal friend to Morrissey, and not out of neediness (he has a well-established career of his own). This is very important to facilitate new Morrissey records. It's not just about guitar gymnastics.

I hope Boz is part of all future Morrissey records.

Well said.

Song-writing aside, I think Mr Boz's contribution to Morrissey's career (I know, I know...) is huge. Boz is Morrissey's much-needed rock.

And let's not forget his exquisite production (and arrangements?) on Interlude.

Anyone votes for Boz as producer on Morrissey's next long player?

Back
Top Bottom