Best song on Without Music the World Dies so far

Best song on Without Music the World Dies so far?

• Total voters
"Pop" is a tremendous Morrissey song. Absolutely love it.

WMTWD is pretty decent.

The less said about N-D, the better.

I voted Notre Dame. Musically the best of the three, and while the lyrics are the bad poetry of a conspiracy theorist, that’s actually better than the boring late-Morrissey-by-numbers lyrics of the other two. I guess if Morrissey is really going bonkers and lazy, then let him go all the way with it. Spectacle is better than bland. Point in Notre Dame’s favor: it’ll never be gleefully sung along to by 8000 carnivorous normals at Glastonbury.

All three are really poor lyrically. If pushed to choose, the funky music to Pop is probably my favourite. But I think I've reached the stage where the weakest link in the songs is Morrissey. He needs to find himself a decent lyricist - a Bernie Taupin to his Elton John. The guy is past it.

I voted Notre Dame. Musically the best of the three, and while the lyrics are the bad poetry of a conspiracy theorist, that’s actually better than the boring late-Morrissey-by-numbers lyrics of the other two. I guess if Morrissey is really going bonkers and lazy, then let him go all the way with it. Spectacle is better than bland. Point in Notre Dame’s favor: it’ll never be gleefully sung along to by 8000 carnivorous normals at Glastonbury.
Jesus wept.

I went with 'Notre-Dame' too; 'Pop' a close 2nd, & 'WM' 3rd. Looking at/listening to the video footage, N-D seemed to have been well received by the crowd on the night. I love the music, & find the almost chant/mantra-style of it addictive, tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notre Dame is musically good, but soooooo... lyrically. It is a "no" for me. I am speechless this time.

I went with 'Notre-Dame' too; 'Pop' a close 2nd, & 'WM' 3rd. Looking at/listening to the video footage, N-D seemed to have been well received by the crowd on the night. I love the music, & find the almost chant/mantra-style of it addictive, tbh.

Did they understand the context of the lyrics though, I agree, the music is good.

Jesus wept.
LOL
Def my fecking post of the Year, mate Thank You
Without Music The World Dies I really fecking love. I like quite a lot of Jesse's work over the last few years. Im no fan of him as a person but I have to be fair and say he has written some great songs

So 1 Without Music 2 Pop . I refuse to rate Notre Dame. I like Alain's works but he never should have let M sing stupidmess on it and we are meant to be grading M songs, I can't rate an M song, if it has bad lyrics , basic singing and 4 chain mentality, it kills me to do that. I used to say even a bad M song is better than most peoples best. I can't say that these days

Last edited:
Did they understand the context of the lyrics though, I agree, the music is good.
I expect they didn't mate. Let's be honest, lots of people who like M songs have no clue what most smiths / M songs are about- the homo stuff especially, The further you get from the UK/Ireland the less is understood, as a general rule.
I don't mean that in a little Englander way. I'm not being anti American or anything I have hung out with a number of Moz Angelese folk, at the bar, a few times, they haven't got a monkeys , same with certain "super fans"
As others have pointed out lots are into M for what he represented as a cultural figure. The whole fecking, look Im wearing a M tshirt , that means I am like him. Very basic stuff. They read a few books, say "that line is from a book" and they think that is understanding the song. LOL

It’s a good way of filtering out which Solo members need their hard drives in an evidence bag, is this poll.

I'm not playing until the man who wrote this returns.

Nine times fined
Never mind
Things can only improve
We are just stood here
Waiting for the next great wound
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes
And to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake
All in all, imagine this :
Nobody loves us
Dab-hands at trouble
With four days of stubble, we are
Never loosen the grip on our hand
Call us home
Kiss our cheeks
Nobody loves us
So we...oh...we tend to please ourselves
People think all we do
Is lie around and think of how
Rich we'd be if we didn't think
Life could improve
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes
And we just can't wait till the whole thing blows up in our face
Call us home
Kiss our cheeks
Nobody loves us
Dab-hands at Trouble
With four days of stubble, we are
So, never loosen the grip on our hand
Call us home
Make our tea
Nobody loves us
Call us home
Tuck us in
Nobody wants us
Dreamers and schemers
All pie-eyed, and bog-eyed, and cross-eyed
Oh, never loosen the grip on our hand
Whack us, then
Hug us hard
Nobody loves us
And we just can't stress, oh, how more the mess
And complete distress won't make much difference to us
Sing us our
Favorite song
Nobody loves us
Born-again atheists
Practicing troublemakers
Make us our
Favorite jam
Nobody loves us
Useless and shiftless
And jobless
But we're all yours

Without Music the World Dies. But I have to say thus far I like the Bonfire songs better :(

Yeah, musically they’re more dynamic and catchy.

Back
Top Bottom