Book of Condolence Thread

Lynn Redgrave. 1943-2010. :(

Tanie Kitabayashi (1911 - 2010)

Very sad to hear that one of the oldest Japanese actors has gone.

She appeared in many stage productions, TV series and films.

RIP.

Kei Sato (1928-2010)

Japan has lost another great actor.
Mr Sato's most famous roll is Hachi in Kaneto Shindo's (who is the second oldest active filmmaker after Portugal's Manoel de Oliviera) 'Onibaba'.
Also he's in many films of Nagisa Oshima.

RIP.

Last edited:
Lena Horne (1917 - 2010) african-american singer ("Stormy weather"),
discriminated against because of her skin colour and her involvement with the civil rights movement

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it. "

"You have to be taught to be second class; you're not born that way"

:tears: :) This is from the thread about Mel Torment's funeral wreath in Site Feedback:

I just wanted to report back on Mel’s memorial and on the donations, as promised.

We ended up raising $914.53 from nearly 30 people. I know all of this support meant so much to Mel’s family. We sent a really beautiful arrangement to the memorial (Here's a link to a pic of the flowers: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9441/melsflowers.jpg ) and have already sent along the rest of the money for donation. The note we included with the flowers read: “To the Hsu family, Mel was so dear to us and she will not be forgotten. There is a light that never goes out, and wherever you are, we hope you're singing now. Your Morrissey friends near and far.”
Special thanks to Melissa for helping me to coordinate this, and to David for posting the donation link and collecting the money.

Bright and early on Saturday morning, a few of us who were close to Mel gathered along with her family for the interment ceremony. It was a small, short gathering and Mel’s remains were placed with those of her father, who died 39 years ago before Mel’s first birthday. I cannot emphasize how kind and lovely her family is. It was so apparent that it meant a great deal to them, especially to her mother, to have so many of her friends there, and that the support from those who couldn’t make it but who’d sent along such kind words and donations had also been so appreciated.

Later that day, we all met for the memorial. There were at least 20 of the Morrissey fan family there. A few of us had arranged for green carnations (a la Oscar Wilde) in Mel’s memory so we distributed those and visited in the parking lot before we headed in. Morrissey’s letter was printed in the ceremony program that was handed out at the door. The ceremony itself was beautiful. Jose Maldonado of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans did an amazing job (remarkably managing to hold back his tears) of providing the music throughout the ceremony, playing acoustic versions of There Is A Light, Lost, Moon River and Oh Well I’ll Never Learn. There was also a beautiful slideshow featuring many of our familiar faces with Mel’s, and Sing Your Life was played during that.

The eulogies were absolutely beautiful. Since Mel’s death, I’ve thought a lot about how my own family would make sense of the whole Morrissey thing if something were to happen to me. Like many of us, I think they just don’t understand it, and I’m certain they couldn’t have done such a graceful job of incorporating that part of my life into the service as Mel’s did. Her brother said some truly moving things about how they’d just assumed she was concert crazy, but seeing the outpouring of support has made them understand that Morrissey tour was like a family reunion for Mel, and those of us who traveled with her truly were her second family. As you can imagine, we all completely lost it when he said that. Mel’s old friend Vu, who she’d met back in Fresno through a Moz zine in the early 90s, also spoke, as did Adam who remembered meeting Mel via a hilarious note she’d included with her request to buy one of his own fanzines. Jose also offered some touching words about how much Mel’s approval had meant to him and the rest of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, and that he looked forward to her watching their shows from a “balcony seat” rather than her old place in the front row.

There was a reception afterwards where we all caught up. I headed out after that but I know TONS of people met up at the Cat & Fiddle for drinks and were eventually kicked out of the main bar area and placed in a private room (we’re a raucous bunch, us Moz fans . . .)

Altogether, it was so lovely, and it meant so much to have so many of us present, both physically as well as emotionally though all of your kind words on solo or directly to her family.

Thank you, Claudia2006. I thought about her all day Saturday. :tears:

stuart cable ex(orginal) drummer of stereophonics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Cable

brian duffy , photographer

Born: 15 June, 1933, in East London.

Died: 31 May 2010, in London, aged 76.
BRIAN Duffy was one of the hugely influential photographers who captured and reflected the spirit of London's Swinging Sixties. He was a brilliant photographer whose unconventional skills and delightfully quirky eye changed the attitude to photograph
ADVERTISEMENT
Click here to find out more!
y as an art form. He could be a demanding colleague, but was widely respected for his avant-garde and decidedly idiosyncratic pictures. Always known simply by his surname he was a contemporary – and rival of – David Bailey and Terence Donovan. They became known as the "Black Trinity" for their ability to produce the provocative and unusual.

Duffy's unforgiving nature was demonstrated in 1979 when he tried to destroy all of his work after a member of his staff asked where the spare loo rolls were kept. Duffy sent everyone home and started a bonfire of his negatives. For years after that Duffy refused to take any photographs. Bailey recently commented: "If you said 'It's a nice day' to Duffy he'd pick an argument with you." The Sixties icon Molly Parkin, who ran a Kings Road boutique throughout the era, said: "Because he was the most objectionable (of the photographers] he was the most interesting."

Brian Duffy was brought up by his Irish parents in London. He studied at St Martins School of Art, but in 1950 changed to dress design, partly because, as he said, there were "a lot of good-looking girls doing it". He worked as an assistant at various design shops, and in 1954 turned down a job in Paris with Balenciaga, instead accepting a post with Harper's Bazaar as a freelance fashion artist. While there he saw some photographic contact sheets and was inspired to become a photographer.

Work was not easy as commercial photography was still very traditional. His first solo fashion shoot, in London's Covent Garden, was for The Sunday Times and that made such a strong impression that in 1957 he joined Vogue. For six years Duffy worked particularly closely at Vogue with the model Jean Shrimpton. The photographs of Shrimpton saw Duffy at his most romantic, with the model's hair blowing in the wind, eyes large and alluring and her beautiful face at ease and in repose.

His success was cemented in 1963 when he set up his own studio and regularly contributed to Elle magazine. Two years later Duffy was commissioned to shoot his first Pirelli calendar, on location in Morocco. He was one of the few photographers commissioned to work on two Pirelli calendars – the second, equally exotic, was in 1973.

The stars he photographed were the icons of the Sixties. He snapped Joanna Lumley (then working as a model) with her son. She recalls that "Duffy plied his models with wine and wouldn't photograph them until they sang". But the list included everyone from the decade: Brigitte Bardot, Jean Shrimpton, Charlton Heston, Sidney Poitier, Reggie Kray and even Harold Wilson, as well as Michael Caine, Peter O'Toole, John Lennon, Sammy Davis Jr, and Jane Birkin.

Duffy's negatives were saved from burning when an official from Camden Council peered over the fence and insisted Duffy put out the bonfire. Duffy packed what remained away in shoe boxes and turned to painting and furniture-restoring. It was only in 2007, when his son, Chris, went through the boxes, that Duffy reluctantly agreed that they were worth another look. This led to an exhibition in London last year.

Interest in Duffy's work was furthered earlier this year when he was the subject of a BBC4 documentary, The Man Who Shot the Sixties, in which his work was reassessed purely on professional grounds. Several colleagues did refer to his erratic nature, but all considered his work afresh and highly rated his output.

In 1967, with the novelist Len Deighton, Duffy set up a film production company called "Deighton Duffy". The two most successful movies were an adaptation of Deighton's Only When I Larf (1968, starring David Hemmings and David Attenborough) and Oh! What a Lovely War (1969) which had a star-studded cast. Duffy's other noted work included the cover shot for three David Bowie albums: Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters and Lodger.
Duffy, ever the consummate artist, summed up his philosophy: "I wanted to make women look good. That really intrigued me. To make a model look as though she owned the clothes."
Duffy is survived by his wife June, whom he married in 1956, and by two sons and two daughters.

thanks for putting it in here claudia, that was a very thouching read.

Stuart was a good drummer and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and drumming, and as an drummer he explored the drum kits of Wales, from Cardiff to the Swansea and... up to... Llandudno... He was taken from us like so many young men of his generation, he was taken before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364!!! These young men gave their lives. And so would Stuart. Stuart, who loved drumming... And so, Theodore Stuart Cable in accordance with what we think your final wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the drum kit, upon which you were loved so well. Good night, sweet drummer.

It's a shame, I'd never heard of him.
Horsley is perhaps best known for a bungled attempt to have himself crucified in the Philippines in 2000 as part of an art project. The procedure almost ended in disaster when his foot support broke, threatening to rip his hands apart (he was caught and taken down from the cross just in time.) But notoriety doesn't necessarily bring wealth, and Horsley often complained of being broke, quipping that he'd invested most of his money on drugs and prostitutes — and squandered the rest.​
It's a shame I'd never heard of him.

Dave

Nice bit of quotage ~
"You may look back on your life and accept it as good or evil. But it is far, far harder to admit that you have been completely unimportant; that in the great sum of things all a man's endless grapplings are no more significant than the scuttlings of a cockroach. The universe is neither friendly nor hostile. It is merely indifferent. This makes me ecstatic"

Quaife.jpg

Pete Quaife, the original bassist for the legendary UK outfit The Kinks, passed away yesterday at the age of 66. The exact cause of death is unknown, but he had been undergoing kidney dialysis for over a decade, reports Rolling Stone.
Alongside brothers Ray and Dave Davies, Quaife was a founding member of The Kinks and would prove instrumental in the band’s early success during the 1960s. He would go on to release six albums with the band, including three of its most commercially received — 1964’s Kinks, 1965’s Kinda Kinks, and 1965’s The Kink Kontroversy.
In 1966, Quaife broke his leg in a car accident and briefly left the band. While he was convinced to rejoin after just three months, the bassist would quit for good just three years later, in 1969, citing a lack of creative input. “I would have been squished with a size 16 boot I had even suggested they listen to an idea from me,” he said in a 2005 interview (via RS). “I felt like a session man most of the time. Ray wanted complete control of everything. He was a control freak.”
After forming a short-lived country band, Quaife all but retired from music, ultimately choosing to relocate to Canada and become a graphic artist. His last onstage appearance was at The Kinks induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

Pete Quaife, the original bassist for the legendary UK outfit The Kinks, passed away yesterday at the age of 66. The exact cause of death is unknown, but he had been undergoing kidney dialysis for over a decade, reports Rolling Stone.
Alongside brothers Ray and Dave Davies, Quaife was a founding member of The Kinks and would prove instrumental in the band’s early success during the 1960s. He would go on to release six albums with the band, including three of its most commercially received — 1964’s Kinks, 1965’s Kinda Kinks, and 1965’s The Kink Kontroversy.
In 1966, Quaife broke his leg in a car accident and briefly left the band. While he was convinced to rejoin after just three months, the bassist would quit for good just three years later, in 1969, citing a lack of creative input. “I would have been squished with a size 16 boot I had even suggested they listen to an idea from me,” he said in a 2005 interview (via RS). “I felt like a session man most of the time. Ray wanted complete control of everything. He was a control freak.”
After forming a short-lived country band, Quaife all but retired from music, ultimately choosing to relocate to Canada and become a graphic artist. His last onstage appearance was at The Kinks induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/06/25/rip-pete-quaife-of-the-kinks/

Kimihiko Tsukuda (1930 - 2010)

Mr Tsukuda was a Japanese equivalent of Charles M. Schulz.

I loved his cartoon, my late aunt bought me a brown cotton bag with his illustration when I was 10.

RIP.

k19780801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom