Boy (2) dies in car, forgotten by daddy...

These news reports make it look like the man is generally the more reckless parent.

Maybe they just can't be bothered to write about reckless women? :confused:

Do I get a PhD now? :p

These news reports make it look like the man is generally the more reckless parent.

Yes, they certainly do. Such an observation would be enough to earn you a Media Studies degree in some "universities"

In past cases, I have seen it suggested that when the father is in charge of the child, it is more often out of the ordinary, out of routine, and that's the explanation for him "forgetting."

I find that very hard to believe. Very hard. It would be very hard to miss a child sitting in your backseat, even if that child were sleeping and was therefore being quiet (for a change.)

This is not a case of recklessness but still...

A 29-year old mother was arrested today because she hung her 3-year old daughter yesterday. They think she was trying to hang her other three children as well, but a friend of one of the kids walked in and "messed up" mommy's plans...
:tears:

Was it, I thought I heard it was here. Apologies!

Maybe it also happened in England. A lot of women there are big, fat and filled with ale so it would be hard to tell what was strapped into the passenger seat sometimes - someone's wife or their weekend tipple.

This is not a case of recklessness but still...

A 29-year old mother was arrested today because she hung her 3-year old daughter yesterday. They think she was trying to hang her other three children as well, but a friend of one of the kids walked in and "messed up" mommy's plans...
:tears:

Just out of the blue? Did she have any psychiatric issues before?

Case hasn't been investigated yet.
It is a bible belt community, maybe that has something to do with it too.
But I think it's safe to say that she must've been mentally unstable.

Just like that Andrea Yates in Texas (I may have the details wrong) a few years ago. Drowned all of her kids in the bathtub.

These kinds of things are horrible, but I can see, ever so slightly, how they can happen. It's hard to explain unless you've been through those rough post-partum years yourself.

Just like that Andrea Yates in Texas (I may have the details wrong) a few years ago. Drowned all of her kids in the bathtub.

These kinds of things are horrible, but I can see, ever so slightly, how they can happen. It's hard to explain unless you've been through those rough post-partum years yourself.

Well clearly it can result in mental illness, so it's perfectly understandable. But mental illnesses should be diagnosed, and children should be safe at all times. You can't just assume it will turn out okay.

Of course there is also:

Chris%20Benoit.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit

Which was not associated with Roid Rage but with too many knocks to the head.

Well clearly it can result in mental illness, so it's perfectly understandable. But mental illnesses should be diagnosed, and children should be safe at all times. You can't just assume it will turn out okay.

Think about the pressure that moms are under to be perfect moms. It's ridiculous. I'm not going to go into the details here.

Mmmm, not really.

In Japan many irresponsible young parents often leave their small child in a locked car in summer.
They often go play pachinko (pinball like game) then forget about their poor child. :(

We hear at least one child die like this every year.

Yes, they should. Recently, I and two other teachers' including the head teacher, sat in school until 7pm with a child we thought it was not safe to send home with his mum. We called social services at 4 pm. At 5 pm, we discovered the woman spoken to had buggered off home without passing it onto her co worker. At 5.30, the police arrived. They fiddled about, didn't talk to the child very much, went to the flat, decided that as it was 'clean and there were toys' it was safe to send him home, against the advice of 3 teachers and social services (who didn't bother to turn up at all). Brilliant. It's so frustrating, knowing you've tried your best (we're still watching this family and their movements) and the services who are supposed to help you, don't.

Yes, they should. Recently, I and two other teachers' including the head teacher, sat in school until 7pm with a child we thought it was not safe to send home with his mum. We called social services at 4 pm. At 5 pm, we discovered the woman spoken to had buggered off home without passing it onto her co worker. At 5.30, the police arrived. They fiddled about, didn't talk to the child very much, went to the flat, decided that as it was 'clean and there were toys' it was safe to send him home, against the advice of 3 teachers and social services (who didn't bother to turn up at all). Brilliant. It's so frustrating, knowing you've tried your best (we're still watching this family and their movements) and the services who are supposed to help you, don't.

Apparently it is the same there as NYC. That is horrific.

Back
Top Bottom