Brett Anderson interview mentions The Smiths (Idler magazine)

Tom Hodgkinson: So who would you say were your top bands of the 1980s?

Brett Anderson: Well, The Smiths obviously, I know you don’t need anyone else blathering on about The Smiths, but they were very influential. They were our role models in lots of ways, in the way we went about writing and their attitude. Their non-conformist attitude, but also their pop sensibility. They were not avant-garde.

TH: We all had Smiths posters as students.

BA: Did we, though? I’m not sure – I mean, I totally did – I was a Smiths fan at university in 1985 and I remember feeling like an oddball. The hall of residence I was in wasn’t decked with “Boy with the Thorn in his Side” posters. Me and my mate were the only guys that liked The Smiths. They’re one of those bands that have become bigger since they split up. Part of the beauty of The Smiths was that it didn’t feel mainstream. It felt like one’s own little club, like their brilliant B-sides were a gift in exchange for your loyalty. A kind of “Thank you for being part of our little gang”. That’s something that I really wanted to do with Suede. Especially in the early days, B-sides were very important to us. It was about creating a little cult, a group that people can identify with and want to be part of. I always wanted to polarise people’s opinion, to be hated and loved in equal measures. I never just wanted to be quite liked. There was something rather dull about being quite liked.

This is an extract from a longer interview which appears in Idler 64. To buy a copy, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their first two albums and the singles from that period are all that one needs IMO. Dog Man Star couldn’t be bettered by the band, and knowing this Bernard left! :lbf: well not really, but, where can they go after DMS ? where they went... I couldn’t be bothered to go.

Though, Suede over Oasis and Blur ANYDAY !

:cool:

Ketamine Sun, have you bothered to listen to their latest two albums? Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour are among their finest work.
And Suede are definitely one of the best live bands around.

Ketamine Sun, have you bothered to listen to their latest two albums? Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour are among their finest work.

No, but maybe I will.

Heard ‘Life is golden’ it sounds like Suede, but it didn’t blow me away. Though I’m glad they’re still doing their thing, better than a lot of crap that’s out there these days.

Seen them 3 times live when they first came to America. Plus a record signing. Still got my purple ‘We are a boy we are a girl’ shirt !

No, but maybe I will.

Heard ‘Life is golden’ it sounds like Suede, but it didn’t blow me away. Though I’m glad they’re still doing their thing, better than a lot of crap that’s out there these days.

Seen them 3 times live when they first came to America. Plus a record signing. Still got my purple ‘We are a boy we are a girl’ shirt !

suedestomp is not wrong - the last two records really are great. you should really check them out.

I agree with you for 100% They are a great live band and I enjoy myself tremendously at a Suede concert, lots of opportunities to sing along. Their setlist is also more balanced than Morrissey's, with more old favorites to keep the attention and energy of the crowd flowing.
Both Brett and Morrissey are charismatic performers with a great voice.
And I still prefer Morrissey when he has his better moments.

Agreed, I remember playing Another No One everyday for a month straight, I loved that song.
Me too. 'This Time' was/is great too. 'My Dark Star' is one of the best bsides ever from any band. Brett's autobiography is well worth a read. Part two comes out this year. I found part one far more interesting than the Moz autobio, which for me went downhill after the excellent first sentence.

I agree with you for 100% They are a great live band and I enjoy myself tremendously at a Suede concert, lots of opportunities to sing along. Their setlist is also more balanced than Morrissey's, with more old favorites to keep the attention and energy of the crowd flowing.
Both Brett and Morrissey are charismatic performers with a great voice.
And I still prefer Morrissey when he has his better moments.
The Suede concert I went to for Night Thoughts was probably the best concert I've been to. Maybe second only to The Cure Prayer Tour in 89. Brett let us hold him up and the bouncers were not looking to break our heads, unlike most Moz concerts.

Their first two albums and the singles from that period are all that one needs IMO. Dog Man Star couldn’t be bettered by the band, and knowing this Bernard left! :lbf: well not really, but, where can they go after DMS ? where they went... I couldn’t be bothered to go.

Though, Suede over Oasis and Blur ANYDAY !

I liked what they did on Coming Up (Trash is a Suede anthem) and Bloodsports. Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour then took it to another level entirely. Listen to 'Life Is Golden' from The Blue Hour. If Moz did that he'd be hailed as the comeback king. No filthy pun intended.

Listen to 'Life Is Golden' from The Blue Hour. If Moz did that he'd be hailed as the comeback king. No filthy pun intended.

I did listen to LIG.

‘comeback king’ :rolleyes:

Let’s put things back into perspective here ....

If it wasn’t for Moz, there would be no Coal Black Mornings for you to read.

The Blue Hour was one of the best albums of last year, the equal of or perhaps even better than the early Suede classics. It always seemed to me that musically First of the Gang was totally based on Trash.

The Suede concert I went to for Night Thoughts was probably the best concert I've been to. Maybe second only to The Cure Prayer Tour in 89. Brett let us hold him up and the bouncers were not looking to break our heads, unlike most Moz concerts.

Well I remember coming out of the night Thoughts concert tour as a reborn Suede fan (I had lost track of them until then) and that was good enough for me. I also felt quite reassured after the first European "World Peace…" tour, and I know few people on this site will share this view, but to me it is what defines a great artist / band. It is the ability to draw you back in time and again.
I enjoyed Suede's Blue Hour more than Morrissey's Low In High School (both the CD and the tour), but this is subjective and it may be different next time.

Well I remember coming out of the night Thoughts concert tour as a reborn Suede fan (I had lost track of them until then) and that was good enough for me. I also felt quite reassured after the first European "World Peace…" tour, and I know few people on this site will share this view, but to me it is what defines a great artist / band. It is the ability to draw you back in time and again.
I enjoyed Suede's Blue Hour more than Morrissey's Low In High School (both the CD and the tour), but this is subjective and it may be different next time.
I also loved the LIHS concert from Feb Dublin last year. Probably my favourite Moz concert since Kilmainham 2008 (hits tour). I still highly rate Moz and love his concerts and always look forward optimistically to new Moz albums. I've been really impressed by the consistently strong last 3 Suede albums and will be even more looking forward to their next one which will likely see them move in a new direction.

I also loved the LIHS concert from Feb Dublin last year. Probably my favourite Moz concert since Kilmainham 2008 (hits tour). I still highly rate Moz and love his concerts and always look forward optimistically to new Moz albums. I've been really impressed by the consistently strong last 3 Suede albums and will be even more looking forward to their next one which will likely see them move in a new direction.

I still rate Morrissey and his wonderful voice, but hearing "I bury the living, "Who will protect us from the police" and My love…" all in one concert was a negative point for me as I am not the biggest fan of this heavy and loaded stuff. But glad for you that you enjoyed it as much as you did.

I've been really impressed by the consistently strong last 3 Suede albums and will be even more looking forward to their next one which will likely see them move in a new direction.

New direction ?

I listened to LIG, and it just sounded like Suede to me. Which is great if that’s what you want.

People won’t agree with me, but at least Morrissey is making an effort to not be the Morrissey he was in the Smiths or repeat his early solo work (lyrical and music styles).
Think it’s a tough spot and a courageous move to move forward with the knowledge that one might lose fans along the way. In regards to new directions I mean.

I liked what they did on Coming Up (Trash is a Suede anthem) and Bloodsports. Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour then took it to another level entirely. Listen to 'Life Is Golden' from The Blue Hour. If Moz did that he'd be hailed as the comeback king. No filthy pun intended.

Life is golden. So is urine.

"I was a Smiths fan at university in 1985 and I remember feeling like an oddball. The hall of residence I was in wasn’t decked with “Boy with the Thorn in his Side” posters. Me and my mate were the only guys that liked The Smiths. They’re one of those bands that have become bigger since they split up."

False
Meat is murder was n°1 at the Time, the first album already a n°2. Perhap the most successfull band in UK behind Wham! in 1985.
I think that the Smiths is less famous now, for the best band of all Time its a shame.

The first Suede album is really good with great guitars but after... How could i say... a bit pompous.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom