British accents: northern and southern

I have a question: how do you embed Youtube videos here?

I was wondering the same, but there's a way!
Press "quote" in a post which has a video and you'll see the code. :cool:

Ask vicarinatutgal, she told me. By showing me the link to the page that Davidt made to show people how.

Is it just me or does the Irish accent Sinead speaks sound a tiny bit like American?

Yes, her accent (to American ears) is very mild, just a slight lilt. The boys from U2 are the same way -- maybe they just lose their accents more easily? Except for Adam Clayton of course, who's always sounded British to me :)

I'm Australian and I sound bloody awful!

One thing that confuses me is Moz's accent. I can differentiate british accents very easily, but he just doesn't sound Manc to me. Perhaps slightly - and I mean very slightly - more so back in the days of the Smiths, but still not completely manc. I've heard some say it is due to his Irish heritage and parenting, but he would still have been educated in Manchester schools, I don't understand how he could be raised in Manchester and sound so un-Mancunian.

I'm Australian and I sound bloody awful!

One thing that confuses me is Moz's accent. I can differentiate british accents very easily, but he just doesn't sound Manc to me. Perhaps slightly - and I mean very slightly - more so back in the days of the Smiths, but still not completely manc. I've heard some say it is due to his Irish heritage and parenting, but he would still have been educated in Manchester schools, I don't understand how he could be raised in Manchester and sound so un-Mancunian.

Brel who was also born and bred in Manchester arond the same time as Morrissey answered your question:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67708&page=2#32

;)

I'll have to record my boyfriend saying something and post it up. He has a very Yorkshire accent... I liked it when we first met (4 years ago) but now it's just sort of annoying :p

I'll have to record my boyfriend saying something and post it up. He has a very Yorkshire accent... I liked it when we first met (4 years ago) but now it's just sort of annoying :p

Funny ,how that happens,eh?

The different areas of Yorkshire have different accents / dialects in themselves, though. I sound completely different from a person from Barnsley, or Sheffield, etc, yet we're all from Yorkshire.

I was more interested in Brel's revelation that Morrissey's nickname in school was "Bunny" -- too cute :)

Watching "Inside The Smiths" I noticed that rourke and joyce seem to have a bit of an irish thing going on when they say "any", just like morrissey, maybe they picked it up from him.

Back
Top Bottom