Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
lets play family fortunes.
we asked a hundred people in the street what do you know about the smiths.
95 poeple said morrissey.
5 people said marr.
i remember their first time on top of the pops,watching it live their was only one person you wanted to know more about and that was the singer.

his legacy is secure,no need to worry.

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.
Morrissey was the lyricist and chief creative talent in The Smiths. Without his unique lyrics and driving force they would have been just a mildly locally known Manchester indie band with forgettable lyrics like those on Marr’s solo albums. Obviously attempts to downplay his role are purely because of his non-Woke views. Yes Morrissey’s lyrics on his solo albums went downhill but this would still have happened had the band stayed together. Marr flounced out of the Smiths in a misguided fit of pique and so ended it. His post Smiths career has been completely uninteresting while at least Morrissey’s has had highs and lows. Morrissey was the main creative force in the Smiths and this was combined with a highly original guitarist (Marr) and a great top notch rhythm section.

Really, it's what you might call the persona of the modern-day Morrissey that people are trying to distance from the essence of The Smiths - in many people's eyes, the clash between what The Smiths represented and what Morrissey has become simply doesn't make sense.

I usually think he’s being overly paranoid about these things, but it certainly felt that with all the jubilation surrounding Rick Astley and The Blossoms at Glastonbury there was an attempt to celebrate The Smiths whilst pretending Morrissey doesn’t exist. It seemed as if Rick Astley wasn’t even allowed to mention his name in the interview after the karaoke session.
Hard agree. The elephant in the room was very noticable after Glastonbury and I do think he has every right to feel slighted on this occasion (a broken clock and all that!). Maybe two separate meetings have been conflated, but perhaps the specifics don't even matter that much. The general point stands that his contribution was essential and cannot be dismissed by rewriting history.

Sounds hurtful. Viva hate, is that it? But it's a thin line. It really is.

I love you, but you are already me, carrying the burden of my unrepaired past, my deprivation and my destructiveness. And I am doubtless that for you, taking the brunt of punishment for what you never received; we are for one another already faulty substitutions for irreversible pasts, neither one of us ever really getting past the desire to repair what cannot be repaired. And yet here we are, hopefully sharing a decent glass of wine [let us dream]. “Life, as we find it,” Freud tells us in Civilization and Its Discontents, “is too hard for us.” This explains the need for various forms of narcosis (including, of course, art)...

from The Force of Non-Violence by Judith Butler, who says even the most loving relationships contain some hatred, . While the lazy just hate, child-like hope can help cope with these primal forces. Or something like that.

Epicurus has come into my mind repeatedly in recent weeks. One of his suggestions was to, in effect, 'stop watching the news' and live a quiet life of delights, friendships and reflections. He wasn't quite a household name in his lifetime, 2000 years or so ago, but what he did accomplish, in designing a distinct practical philosophy, has been increasingly cherished to this day.

Nobody can realistically deny what Morrissey has achieved. He commented on this himself during Dave Fanning's excellent 2002 radio interview with him:

-> DF: It’s the obvious thing that people have this phrase, a lot of British journalists have of “Being Morrissey”, where you can get a wry little sentence out that sort of dismisses any question that might have to go into too much detail or whatever…is that a defensive mechanism, or does it exist at all?

M: Well, I think it’s…I think it defines a certain type of sort of…supposedly willowy, but ummm….feisty character, I think. So it simply defines a type. I think…maybe not.

DF: Well, it’s not for you to have to worry about, I suppose..

M: It’s not for me to worry about, because…I am Morrissey.

DF: Exactly. Your music has been judged a lot more than a lot of other people’s music down through the years because… it just meant so much to so many people.

M: Yes, yes.

DF: Are you okay with that?

M: Well…..it annoys me sometimes because so many people in music just seem to get away with so much and so many artists who I think are absolutely dreadful are very leniently dealt with and…I never am, of course. People seem to take a very severe line and so…I just see so many people slipping through the net with just dreadful songs and dreadful presentation and…they go on to be multi-platinum and applauded and so forth and…it does irk me sometimes. But there’s nobody else I’d rather be…I don’t think “Well, I wish I was that person”. I don’t think anybody has the perfect career…everybody has great gaping holes in what they do.<-

Another interesting exchange there:

->DF: Do you think it’s better that artists remain aloof and give off the vibe of being superior? I’ve often thought that you’ve looked up to people like that, right down through your career.

M: Well, I don’t know how many people can really do that, because if you play the fame game then you just have to dive in and you have to be orchestrated somehow and if you don’t- if you’re uncontrollable- then people say you’re a problem. And if people can’t get one over on you, they say you’re a problem and you’re awkward. But it just means that they don’t really get away with anything where you’re concerned, so then they say you’re really difficult. But as far as I can see, most people do tow the line. I can’t really see anybody in pop music who’s rebellious. And certainly, when groups and artists have a certain footing and a large audience, they’re somewhat trapped. (Pause) God knows why…

DF: But when you were that teen person I was talking about, compared to now and nobody ever believes that life goes as fast as it does - it goes so slow, I suppose, in your teen years, compared to your 20’s, 30’s or 40’s - are you ok with that?

M: I feel fine, I mean..the older I get, the happier I feel and the prospect of a shock of grey hair, I think, is really quite nice..<-

- https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/dave-fanning-interviews-morrissey-the-transcript.14327/

Hopefully negative reactions still don't bother him much, and he can observe with a healthy shot of detachment.

“The information age is actually a media age. We have war by media; censorship by media; demonology by media; retribution by media; diversion by media — a surreal assembly line of obedient clichés and false assumptions.” - John Pilger, 2014

That was 10 years ago. Things haven't improved. Fighting cancellation isn't easy, as people like Graham Linehan are discovering. The control of the info net is being fine-tuned, with shadow-banning, memory-holing, and God knows, but how long can it go on for? Certainly people are falling for it and going along with sides, for an easy life or personal gain or whatever. Deserves its own thread really? Not everyone's happy though. I'm not sure if art is going there enough yet, to illuminate and debate.

The fuzzy thought that Morrissey might contract again with Rough Trade fizzles out with this message. He has such a rich legacy to be curated. He might enjoy shifting gear, coming down to earth, and living among us for a while. In an odd sense I think this silencing partly helps protect him in the long-term. They'll be knocking on the door for him again soon enough. But whichever it is, boot the grime of the world in the crotch, dear

🥊🤗🥊🤗

Last edited:
This is why artists like Neil Arthur from Blancmange/Fader/The Remainder are so prolific - they don't waste time or mental effort like this denying crap that no right-minded person would believe or probably even notice. Put the drama into the music.
Well said but what would Neil Arthur do if there was a hidden evil media conspiracy going on trying to silence him, deny him a well-earned record deal and to erase him and Blancmange from the chart history books of the mid-80s?

Really, it's what you might call the persona of the modern-day Morrissey that people are trying to distance from the essence of The Smiths - in many people's eyes, the clash between what The Smiths represented and what Morrissey has become simply doesn't make sense.

It's the "persona" that doesn't make any sense.

It needs a serious investigation - not this endless he said X so he must be Y just like Z.

lets play family fortunes.
we asked a hundred people in the street what do you know about the smiths.
95 poeple said morrissey.
5 people said marr.
i remember their first time on top of the pops,watching it live their was only one person you wanted to know more about and that was the singer.

his legacy is secure,no need to worry.
You didn't say 'our survey said...' Gordy

Moz needs to be loved!! We love you fool! "I'm human and I need to be loved like everyone else"..... It killed me when Moz said, "the lyrical feelings came from my heart"... It's very true, it releases very strong vibrations on stage

I've always felt and still feel that Morrissey is the essence of The Smiths.

To me, as a fan, the band is unthinkable without Morrissey's active role and contributions. Any honest Smiths fan knows it. But, unfortunately, I have to agree with M that there's been a few efforts to deny the reality of his importance in The Smiths by not even mentioning his name on a radio show in the UK, for instance. We have seen it happen and that's crazy and dishonest. And when he's mentioned in an article, there's always the usual disclaimer... All that must make him feel really awful. I feel awful for him whenever I see it happen.

And by saying this, I'm not attempting to minimize Johnny Marr's importance as musician and songwriter or the contributions of Andy and Mike to the whole of The Smiths' music.

Last edited:
Moz has very artfully painted himself out of The Smiths picture. Sure Moz was an essential component of the The Smiths, but he didn't do it alone. We could have had a reunion gig or tour if it weren't for the perpetually bitter Morrissey. He certainly deprived us of that! Despite his claims of how proud he is of The Smith's legacy he has always been jealous of his former band, deathly afraid of comparisons with his solo career, and he's absolutely haunted by the genius of Marr. Now that he's old he's foolishly equating himself with Mick Jagger. What would the Stones be without Mick Jagger? A better question would be, what would the Stones be without Keith Richards?

Geez, it's gotta be rough when multiple people are claiming a different story from your own. What seems trivial now, can be significant down the line.

Nice photo of M

Back
Top Bottom