Morrissey Central "DANA GILLESPIE VINYL" (April 9, 2024)

April 9, 2024

1000017694.jpg

The first 7-inch single from Dana Gillespie's new album is Spent The Day In Bed, and is available on 19 April. The song is from Dana's new album First Love, which is released on 31 May on CD, standard black vinyl, and special colored vinyl. Production is by Marc Almond and Tris Penna, and above sleeve photography is by Terry O'Neill, with sleeve art by Morrissey.

Order Dana's vinyl 45 here:

Sister Ray: https://sisterray.co.uk/products/spent-the-day-in-bed

Rough Trade: https://www.roughtrade.com/en-gb/artist/dana-gillespie

For further information contact:

[email protected]

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
My record guru has not 1 bit of information on it and suggested to me that a 10 day window from announcement (only by Central) to market is extremely unusual even with a small label. There is a digital release penned in for that date though.
Could be misinformation or jumping the gun. Won't be the first time.
FWD.

Unfortunately it's not direct, but if you go further into the website under "Pre-orders" it is available for purchase.
That is the album is it not?
FWD.

Unfortunately it's not direct, but if you go further into the website under "Pre-orders" it is available for purchase.

And in that recent radio interview she said it will be available at her next shows.

That is the album is it not?
FWD.

Yes... yes it is kind soul!

My record guru has not 1 bit of information on it and suggested to me that a 10 day window from announcement (only by Central) to market is extremely unusual even with a small label. There is a digital release penned in for that date though.
Could be misinformation or jumping the gun. Won't be the first time.
FWD.
On Radio 2 Dana said herself that there was a 7” single available.

Bizarre song to choose - Morrissey's version is one of his weakest singles.
Not a favourite of mine but one of his most successful ever from an airplay point of view. Only First of the Gang got as much airplay. It provided impressive first week sales for Low in High School (despite awful reviews) and powered the ticket sales for his biggest ever UK solo tour in early 2018. Most tickets sold in 2017 i.e. just before all the shit was hitting the fan in relation to Der Spiegel, UKIP, Anne Waters etc.

A fabulous song; very catchy. Assuming it’s sensibly priced, I’ll be buying it.

Having revived the format, it’s noticeable that stores and record companies seem to have half an eye on taking vinyl to the brink once more. I’m still recovering from the Interlude price.

Okay cover, overall I like Morrissey's version better (and I really like the song to begin with) although the rocky outro on Dana's version is really good. What did M do to the sleeve art? Chose the photo and the font?

Okay cover, overall I like Morrissey's version better (and I really like the song to begin with) although the rocky outro on Dana's version is really good. What did M do to the sleeve art? Chose the photo and the font?

Yeah. And added his trademark “very stereo” and “listen loud” watermarks to the bottom corners. And the rpm thing in the middle.

Yeah. And added his trademark “very stereo” and “listen loud” watermarks to the bottom corners. And the rpm thing in the middle.
Mhm, yeah. Not what I would consinder mindblowing but better than BOT for sure. I mean it's just some fonts splashed on a photo and they don't even work that well with the photo. But he is always good in choosing good looking / fitting photos 👍

So, it appears to be 250 copies on black vinyl, and a further 250 copies pressed on “Translucent Orange” vinyl. I imagine a fair few of these will be snapped up by hardcore Morrissey completists. It is news I suppose, but not very exciting!

On Radio 2 Dana said herself that there was a 7” single available.
Indeed.
I don't think my indie shop owner's observations were mutually exclusive of that fact. "Could be misinformation or jumping the gun" seems accurate in this case - I don't think the date was ever 'pushed back' to May either. Buying in sheets are already close to the end of May for the majority of labels, so April wasn't ever that realistic?
FWD.

Lovely cover, and a lovely cover of one of Morrissey’s best songs.

Said in another post… I’m preferring it over the original! blasphemous! I know!
The harpsichord really makes it jump! more lively, and the rock parts give it a kick with more edge and needed contrast. Her vocal delivery and take on this is wonderful. And I’m sure it made him smile, when he heard she was going to cover it.

Lovely cover, and a lovely cover of one of Morrissey’s best songs.

Said in another post… I’m preferring it over the original! blasphemous! I know!
The harpsichord really makes it jump! more lively, and the rock parts give it a kick with more edge and needed contrast. Her vocal delivery and take on this is wonderful. And I’m sure it made him smile, when he heard she was going to cover it.
It's all about the fonts

Back
Top Bottom