Depeche Mode Tour 2009 to start in May in Israel

Yep. 88 was the last time they played most of those. 90 for Master And Servant. Photographic was awesome last tour. I waited years for that. Now if they'd bring back Shout and See You. But hell will freeze over first. Why can't more bands be like The Cure and play a lot of the old stuff?

Oh, I forgot to mention how excited I was to hear Photographic last tour. That was pretty amazing. I dont know much about The Cure these days but I think its time for DM to go way back to the early stuff. If they brought back Photographic, maybe they will bring out some more good stuff this time :D

Oh, I forgot to mention how excited I was to hear Photographic last tour. That was pretty amazing. I dont know much about The Cure these days but I think its time for DM to go way back to the early stuff. If they brought back Photographic, maybe they will bring out some more good stuff this time :D

Listening to the early bootlegs makes me miss Ice Machine a lot. I have a bootleg of Martin playing it and a bunch of other stuff at a hotel bar. Shame they wouldn't play that one in an arena. I also wished they had released more on their re-releases. Un-released songs (Television Set, Ghost Of Modern Time, I Like It, Reason Man, Price Of Love, Let's Get Together)..etc..and some early live stuff.

You actually got to watch this on T.V.? :eek: They hardly ever have DM on T.V. here. I liked this interview, especially the part when Dave talks about his mother-in-law watching the show. He said he had to watch what he did but then do his thing lol :D
I did watch it on tv. I was lucky to have school lessons at afternoon, and when I opened the tv I saw Dave's face and I pumped up the volume too much!!! I loved it! But I didn't know his wife was Greek! So there's still hope for me...!!! :D:D:D:D

I did watch it on tv. I was lucky to have school lessons at afternoon, and when I opened the tv I saw Dave's face and I pumped up the volume too much!!! I loved it! But I didn't know his wife was Greek! So there's still hope for me...!!! :D:D:D:D

What a nice surprise! :D

I didnt know Dave's wife was Greek either...Well, I heard Martin's ex-wife was from Texas so theres hope for me too!;):p

Listening to the early bootlegs makes me miss Ice Machine a lot. I have a bootleg of Martin playing it and a bunch of other stuff at a hotel bar. Shame they wouldn't play that one in an arena. I also wished they had released more on their re-releases. Un-released songs (Television Set, Ghost Of Modern Time, I Like It, Reason Man, Price Of Love, Let's Get Together)..etc..and some early live stuff.

I could definately see them playing older songs like Ice Machine. They should add more songs from 81-85. Maybe they would fit in with new songs since they are supposed to sound more 'old school DM.'

Is there a full version of Lets get together? I dont think ive ever heard the full song.

I could definately see them playing older songs like Ice Machine. They should add more songs from 81-85. Maybe they would fit in with new songs since they are supposed to sound more 'old school DM.'

Is there a full version of Lets get together? I dont think ive ever heard the full song.

Well since most of the music is programmed (ie:That's why they play virtually the same set, except for Martin every show) I don't see why they can't play 25-30 songs (which of course, they won't). I'm spoiled since I saw The Cure play for almost 3 hours (almost 35 songs, 11 in 3 different encores).

I'm certain they recorded it, I've seen a clip of them rehearsing, and Vince later "gave" the song to some American girl group a few years ago. I wouldn't doubt it if those songs were demoed, and just left on the cutting room floor (whether anyone has those recordings is of course another good question, since half of the 101 concert is "missing"). DM just seem to be very concerned about their early image (from what I can tell), which is why they haven't released the videos for See You, The Meaning Of Love, Get The Balance Right and Leave In Silence on any commercial video. It's a bit ridiculous, since everybody sounded and looked silly in the early 80's....They just evolved beyond it.

I got the Yazoo Box Set DVD, and Fletcher is interviewed talking about Vince leaving DM and saying at the time "We all thought he was a bit arrogant because he thought he could do it by himself...and it turned out he could...but of course we were heading in two different directions and I doubt ever of us (Vince or DM) would have achieved long term success had we continued working together. In many ways I view A Broken Frame as their first true album, since it was done without Vince and laid the groundwork for Black Celebration and Music For The Masses with its dark intonations. Speak & Spell was a good album, but it really didn't show case their abilities to their full extent. Dave was more than just a Pop singer, which is pretty much all Vince has ever needed. Mind you, I'm a very big fan of Vince and all of his work, but Speak & Spell really doesn't come close to any of Yazoo's work or the majority of Erasure's output. Martin had to take control and re-focus the band into more than just another 80's new wave band or they would have suffered the fate of the dreaded 1 hit wonder. I seriously don't think they would have lasted as long as they did had Vince remained with them, since they were more than just a pop single machine.

I always thought Leave In Silence would have worked well on the Exciter tour. Even though it's nice to hear an acoustic version by Martin, I think most people would prefer to hear it the original way (same with Shake The Disease). I would prefer Martin bring back more of his older songs than sing hits that Dave did originally. Of course, I have no more influence on him than the stars above.

Well since most of the music is programmed (ie:That's why they play virtually the same set, except for Martin every show) I don't see why they can't play 25-30 songs (which of course, they won't). I'm spoiled since I saw The Cure play for almost 3 hours (almost 35 songs, 11 in 3 different encores).

True. It seems like they use to play more in the earlier days too. In 101 they had the other instruments in their set (in sure what they're called) but the things they used to bang on during Stripped I think it was. Also during that time it seemed like Alan even did most of the keyboard work out of the three....Wow, 3 hours, 35 songs? That's hard to imagine.

I'm certain they recorded it, I've seen a clip of them rehearsing, and Vince later "gave" the song to some American girl group a few years ago. I wouldn't doubt it if those songs were demoed, and just left on the cutting room floor (whether anyone has those recordings is of course another good question, since half of the 101 concert is "missing"). DM just seem to be very concerned about their early image (from what I can tell), which is why they haven't released the videos for See You, The Meaning Of Love, Get The Balance Right and Leave In Silence on any commercial video. It's a bit ridiculous, since everybody sounded and looked silly in the early 80's....They just evolved beyond it.

Yeah the first time I heard "Lets get together" was on the Behind the Music program. I remember when that girl group covered the DM song, not sure if it was that one but I think Fletch's daughter was in it or something. I dont really remember. You can tell at times that DM is embarrassed by some of their early work and videos but whatever, I dont see why they should be now, I mean they've come a long ways.

I got the Yazoo Box Set DVD, and Fletcher is interviewed talking about Vince leaving DM and saying at the time "We all thought he was a bit arrogant because he thought he could do it by himself...and it turned out he could...but of course we were heading in two different directions and I doubt ever of us (Vince or DM) would have achieved long term success had we continued working together. In many ways I view A Broken Frame as their first true album, since it was done without Vince and laid the groundwork for Black Celebration and Music For The Masses with its dark intonations. Speak & Spell was a good album, but it really didn't show case their abilities to their full extent. Dave was more than just a Pop singer, which is pretty much all Vince has ever needed. Mind you, I'm a very big fan of Vince and all of his work, but Speak & Spell really doesn't come close to any of Yazoo's work or the majority of Erasure's output. Martin had to take control and re-focus the band into more than just another 80's new wave band or they would have suffered the fate of the dreaded 1 hit wonder. I seriously don't think they would have lasted as long as they did had Vince remained with them, since they were more than just a pop single machine.

From what I understand Vince and Alan left for simliar reasons. I think that Vince, Alan, and Martin are all very strong musicians and its kinda hard to imagine Vince still in Depeche, as well as Alan when you have Martin and Dave, a strong frontman. I dont know, theres just too much genius there lol Even now, Dave finally decided to work on his solo stuff which could have effected the band (I mean, i know I was worried for a while) since he wanted more writing credits in DM. But back to Vince, I still think its crazy that he left and I never really knew why he actually did but I guess he wanted to do other things. And now of course we see that Vince is better off on his own. I guess if he would have stayed in the band there eventually would have been conflict just like if Alan would have stayed longer, he would have eventually left.

I always thought Leave In Silence would have worked well on the Exciter tour. Even though it's nice to hear an acoustic version by Martin, I think most people would prefer to hear it the original way (same with Shake The Disease). I would prefer Martin bring back more of his older songs than sing hits that Dave did originally. Of course, I have no more influence on him than the stars above.

I enjoyed the versions Martin did during his solo shows especially "In Your Room." But i also enjoy Martins songs not the ones sung by Dave.

Didnt Martin bring back Somebody last tour?

Last edited:
True. It seems like they use to play more in the earlier days too. In 101 they had the other instruments in their set (in sure what they're called) but the things they used to bang on during Stripped I think it was. Also during that time it seemed like Alan even did most of the keyboard work out of the three....Wow, 3 hours, 35 songs? That's hard to imagine.

Yeah the first time I heard "Lets get together" was on the Behind the Music program. I remember when that girl group covered the DM song, not sure if it was that one but I think Fletch's daughter was in it or something. I dont really remember. You can tell at times that DM is embarrassed by some of their early work and videos but whatever, I dont see why they should be now, I mean they've come a long ways.

From what I understand Vince and Alan left for simliar reasons. I think that Vince, Alan, and Martin are all very strong musicians and its kinda hard to imagine Vince still in Depeche, as well as Alan when you have Martin and Dave, a strong frontman. I dont know, theres just too much genius there lol Even now, Dave finally decided to work on his solo stuff which could have effected the band (I mean, i know I was worried for a while) since he wanted more writing credits in DM. But back to Vince, I still think its crazy that he left and I never really knew why he actually did but I guess he wanted to do other things. And now of course we see that Vince is better off on his own. I guess if he would have stayed in the band there eventually would have been conflict just like if Alan would have stayed longer, he would have eventually left.

I enjoyed the versions Martin did during his solo shows especially "In Your Room." But i also enjoy Martins songs not the ones sung by Dave.

Didnt Martin bring back Somebody last tour?

Yes, Alan was over-used and Under-appreciated. If I'm right, there was a lot of tension between him and Martin because Martin didn't always like how Alan interpreted his songs (To Have And To Hold, Enjoy The Silence, Judas to name 3), and tension between him and Fletch, because Fletch did virtually nothing. Yeah, they were more raw during their first world tours. Martin had his kazoo thing to play during Everything Counts, I think he blew a whistle at times too. Alan would bang the lead pipe, and Fletch would clap along while smiling. I think they played 17-18 songs during the first few tours, then it stretched to 19 (3 encores) by the time of Construction Time Again, the Masses Tour was three encores (until the end when Just Can't Get Enough was added as 4). The last tour was the first to feature 5 songs, but by the second leg, it had been cut to 3. The Cure often making me wonder if they were doing drugs back stage or something, cause they did 23 songs, came back and did 2, then did 8, then finished with Faith. Some shows on the tour, they did 40 songs. 15 songs in 3 encores. That's A Morrissey show, right there.

I don't think Vince felt overused. True, he was writing most of the songs at the time, but I think he felt it difficult having to work with 3 different other people. Especially when his ideas clash. He was very difficult to work with in the early days from what I've read, and a lot of times he wanted to isolate himself and use a lot of pre-programmed music with very little live instrumentation. Alison said when he got mad, he would just stay quiet and lock himself away, while she was the angry type who just wanted to fight it out and resolve it. He just got fed up and moved on. I think it was a similar situation with Depeche Mode, I'm sure Martin wanted to do other things and Vince had his own vision and his own plan for the way things would be. Fletch also said that Vince was never "caught up in the sensation of being a pop star, cause it was like he knew what he was doing and he knew he would be successful". The other three were a bit overwhelmed at the time and were happy to be in a band that was successful. Vince was also serious and considered it to be his job, if you can understand what I mean. I'm sure a lot of the tension was while they were recording the album, and by the time they finished their first tour of Europe, he determined to set out on his own. On the Yazoo DVD, he said that when he demoed "Only You" for Daniel Miller, he didn't think Daniel liked it, so he'd have to go back to getting a real job. Andy said that when Vince played it for him and Martin (who happened to be in the Mute Offices), they said, "Nah, sounds like something we've heard before", then he added, "shows what we know."

I haven't got around to listen to Dave's solo stuff. I guess it's partially because I think it's going to be too much like Dave's attempt to re-shape the band during Songs Of Faith And Devotion. It took me a long time (i think it was 2000 before I even listened to it) because I had been so disgusted (maybe that's too strong) by I Feel You. When I saw that on MTV, I honestly felt like they had sold out. I think there was even an article, where somebody said "Now they're playing real instruments, so we can take them seriously". I felt dumb, because lyrically and musically it's a very good album. I would say it's one of their 4 best (Some Great Reward, Violator, Songs Of Faith And Devotion, Black Celebration). Some very good songs, although the production and sound on some of them, I'm not too fond of. I still think Judas is the best song Martin has ever song. I think it turned out to be a good thing that the problems followed that tour (Not the problems themselves, but that they had to take a break and re-examine themselves and their image. I think Richard Blade said it best when he said Dave was trying to be Axl Rose).

I think Depeche Mode would have gone the way of Kajagoogoo if Vince had stayed. I think Vince is very good at what he does (dance music), but DM is not a pop or a dance group. I think Only You is the one of the few songs Vince has written lyrically that has any emotional depth to it. The lyrics he writes are catching, but most don't have the style or poetry that Martin has produced on a regular basis. Although, like every writer Martin has come short on occasion.

I think Martin should do some more songs during the shows. I felt cheated that I got to hear Somebody, but not A Question Of Lust. It's almost like I have to throw on 101 or a bootleg from the Singles tour to hear both of them in the same show. I still wish I had gotten to hear A World Full Of Nothing when he did it on The Exciter tour. It's very underrated, and much better (in my opinion) than It Doesn't Matter Two. Actually, I liked the first It Doesn't Matter much better as well.

Hey In A Loveless World, it's "tex" from the DMMB. You're right. This is a nice thread about DM. It's very nice seeing such knowledge and admiration of DM in this thread.

As for Dave's solo stuff, I like it. Paper Monsters was just getting his feet wet, and he improved considerably for Hourglass. However, neither album is great all of the way through. Both albums are definitely night and day as Hourglass is more electronic than Paper Monsters.

I'll never forget being so excited about MTV announcing that they were going to premiere DM's new video, "I Feel You." Like SNS22, I was shocked when I saw that video. Dave with long hair and a gooatee and almost screaming the lyrics. Still, I bought the cassette (I hadn't jumped to CDs then heeh) the day it was released, and when I first heard Walking in My Shoes, I was thinking, "Maybe this album won't be too bad after all." Then came "Condemnation," and I was like, "WTF?" hehe It took me a while to warm up to the album, but it's now one of my favorites and might be the best lyrics written by Martin for an entire album.

Though, I can't put Some Great Reward as one of my favorite albums. With that album, DM was on the cusp of doing something great, but songs like "Stories Of Old" and "If You Want" keep it from being a great overall album, in my opinion.

Hey In A Loveless World, it's "tex" from the DMMB. You're right. This is a nice thread about DM. It's very nice seeing such knowledge and admiration of DM in this thread.

Hey Tex (er MozDM lol), good to see you here. The more DM fans, the merrier!:D We have a good thread going on here and a nice group of fans too.

As for Dave's solo stuff, I like it. Paper Monsters was just getting his feet wet, and he improved considerably for Hourglass. However, neither album is great all of the way through. Both albums are definitely night and day as Hourglass is more electronic than Paper Monsters.

I also like Dave's solo stuff. At first it was a little strange seeing him on his own but I eventually got into his music. It was also a strange experience seeing Dave in concert. I couldnt help feeling like something was missing lol I agree, that Hourglass is much better than PM. I actually enjoy pretty much the entire album. Although, there are some songs that are stronger than others. Love will leave and Tomorrow are also really good songs as they have a more electronic sound.

Though, I can't put Some Great Reward as one of my favorite albums. With that album, DM was on the cusp of doing something great, but songs like "Stories Of Old" and "If You Want" keep it from being a great overall album, in my opinion

Noooo, Stories of Old is a good song! :D:p

I'll never forget being so excited about MTV announcing that they were going to premiere DM's new video, "I Feel You." Like SNS22, I was shocked when I saw that video. Dave with long hair and a gooatee and almost screaming the lyrics. Still, I bought the cassette (I hadn't jumped to CDs then heeh) the day it was released, and when I first heard Walking in My Shoes, I was thinking, "Maybe this album won't be too bad after all." Then came "Condemnation," and I was like, "WTF?" hehe It took me a while to warm up to the album, but it's now one of my favorites and might be the best lyrics written by Martin for an entire album.

Though, I can't put Some Great Reward as one of my favorite albums. With that album, DM was on the cusp of doing something great, but songs like "Stories Of Old" and "If You Want" keep it from being a great overall album, in my opinion.

Actually, I prefer Stories Of Old & If You Want to Sometimes and It Doesn't Matter Two on Black Celebration.

Yes, Alan was over-used and Under-appreciated. If I'm right, there was a lot of tension between him and Martin because Martin didn't always like how Alan interpreted his songs (To Have And To Hold, Enjoy The Silence, Judas to name 3), and tension between him and Fletch, because Fletch did virtually nothing. Yeah, they were more raw during their first world tours. Martin had his kazoo thing to play during Everything Counts, I think he blew a whistle at times too. Alan would bang the lead pipe, and Fletch would clap along while smiling. I think they played 17-18 songs during the first few tours, then it stretched to 19 (3 encores) by the time of Construction Time Again, the Masses Tour was three encores (until the end when Just Can't Get Enough was added as 4). The last tour was the first to feature 5 songs, but by the second leg, it had been cut to 3. The Cure often making me wonder if they were doing drugs back stage or something, cause they did 23 songs, came back and did 2, then did 8, then finished with Faith. Some shows on the tour, they did 40 songs. 15 songs in 3 encores. That's A Morrissey show, right there.

Poor Alan. I can imagine what it must have been like with everything going on at that time. The tension with Fletch and Martin. I remember Alan saying that Martin never really said much especially when he was deciding to leave the band. Well, no one really said much at the time, I guess, and it always bugs me when I hear them talking about it. Eventhough Dave was messed up, maybe they could have encouraged Alan to stay but still, Alan would have left eventually.

It was also a strange experience seeing Dave in concert. I couldnt help feeling like something was missing lol

lol! I agree, and it was even more weird when he did the DM songs. However, just like for the DM shows, Dave still performed wonderfully at his solo show.

Love Will Leave and Tomorrow are very good b-sides. I prefer them over the album songs of 21 Days, Endless, and Insoluble. From the album, I really dig Kingdom (I love that pulsing synth line in the chorus), Saw Something (so pretty), A Little Lie (love that guitar riff in the chorus), and Down. I like Miracles, too. It has that Counterfeit2 sound, which isn't surprising because Phillpott, who co-produced Hourglass with Dave and Eigner, helped co-produce Counterfeit2.

I don't mean to bash Stories of Old. I like the song, but I just don't think that it's great. It's a little too corny for me. I like it as much as I like Lie To Me. Lie To Me has a killer bass line, but it's just nothing great to me. I should've mentioned that song in my earlier thread, as well, for reasons why I can't say that SGR is a great album to me.

As for Sometimes and It Doesn't Matter Two, I much prefer them over If You Want and Stories of Old. I love the vocal effects in Sometimes, and I love the choral sounds and the sensual lyrics in It Doesn't Matter Two. Martin singing both songs doesn't hurt, either. :0) Of course, It Doesn't Matter is one of my favorites from SGR.

I agree that Alan's departure could've been handled with more class by the three remaining members. I love what he did for DM and how he interpreted differently some of Martin's demos. However, I think that DM has done just fine without him. DM may have used a lot of programmers (the Toy team) in place of Alan for ULTRA, but ULTRA is one of my favorite DM albums. Great vocals, melodies, lyrics, sounds, etc. on ULTRA. To me, DM didn't miss a beat on ULTRA. As for Exciter, I know now why it wasn't a great DM album, but I still enjoy it even moreso than SGR. :0) I was really impressed by PTA.

ol! I agree, and it was even more weird when he did the DM songs. However, just like for the DM shows, Dave still performed wonderfully at his solo show.

Yeah, it was even stranger when he did DM songs! I kept thinking, this is WRONG. I cant enjoy the songs without Martin and Fletch lol I didnt really care for Knox and the rest of the Paper Monster band either. I prefer Dave with Eigner and Phillpott....Kingdom, Saw Something, A Little Lie, and Endless are my favorite tracks form Hourglass.:)

I agree that Alan's departure could've been handled with more class by the three remaining members. I love what he did for DM and how he interpreted differently some of Martin's demos. However, I think that DM has done just fine without him. DM may have used a lot of programmers (the Toy team) in place of Alan for ULTRA, but ULTRA is one of my favorite DM albums. Great vocals, melodies, lyrics, sounds, etc. on ULTRA. To me, DM didn't miss a beat on ULTRA. As for Exciter, I know now why it wasn't a great DM album, but I still enjoy it even moreso than SGR. :0) I was really impressed by PTA.

I think it's quite obvious that there's still tension between him, Martin, and Andy, but Dave and him get along quite well I've heard. I wouldn't doubt if Alan contributes something in the future to one of Dave's solo projects.

It was also a strange experience seeing Dave in concert. I couldnt help feeling like something was missing lol

lol! I agree, and it was even more weird when he did the DM songs. However, just like for the DM shows, Dave still performed wonderfully at his solo show.

Love Will Leave and Tomorrow are very good b-sides. I prefer them over the album songs of 21 Days, Endless, and Insoluble. From the album, I really dig Kingdom (I love that pulsing synth line in the chorus), Saw Something (so pretty), A Little Lie (love that guitar riff in the chorus), and Down. I like Miracles, too. It has that Counterfeit2 sound, which isn't surprising because Phillpott, who co-produced Hourglass with Dave and Eigner, helped co-produce Counterfeit2.

I don't mean to bash Stories of Old. I like the song, but I just don't think that it's great. It's a little too corny for me. I like it as much as I like Lie To Me. Lie To Me has a killer bass line, but it's just nothing great to me. I should've mentioned that song in my earlier thread, as well, for reasons why I can't say that SGR is a great album to me.

As for Sometimes and It Doesn't Matter Two, I much prefer them over If You Want and Stories of Old. I love the vocal effects in Sometimes, and I love the choral sounds and the sensual lyrics in It Doesn't Matter Two. Martin singing both songs doesn't hurt, either. :0) Of course, It Doesn't Matter is one of my favorites from SGR.

I've always wanted to know what was going on during Black Celebration. I've always found it odd that Martin sings more songs on that album than any other. I've wondered if there's a reason behind it.

I think it's quite obvious that there's still tension between him, Martin, and Andy, but Dave and him get along quite well I've heard. I wouldn't doubt if Alan contributes something in the future to one of Dave's solo projects.

Yeah, Dave has mentioned him in many interviews. You can tell he has a lot of respect for him. I could see Alan working with Dave too.

Yeah, Dave has mentioned him in many interviews. You can tell he has a lot of respect for him. I could see Alan working with Dave too.

They should use Christmas Island or The Great Outdoors for their intro music for the next tour, but they'd probably have to send Alan a commission check. Still would be nice to hear something old. Again, I think they have to think of their fans and realize most of have been waiting a long time to hear some of the older songs, so they should suck it up and just play them. I mean they wouldn't even have made it if they hadn't recorded them, and it's not like they have to drag "What's Your Name?" or "The Meaning Of Love" out of the storage shed. Just give us a decent 2 hour+ show, with some surprises like "Lie To Me" (Which was considered for the last tour), "Things You Said", "Two Minute Warning" (The commission thing again), Fly On The Windscreen, See You, along with the hits People Are People, Blasphemous Rumors, Master And Servant, Everything Counts, and maybe something like See You or Dreaming Of Me? Is that too much to ask?

Back
Top Bottom