Dermot O'Leary - Don't meet your heroes

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
As part of an interview in today's Observer Magazine:

2qwzdli.jpg

P.

Moz came across dreadfully in the O'Leary interview - obstinate, sour and full of bitterness. The fact that he felt the very rare compulsion to apologise for it afterwards says it all. He's never had much patience with journalists and even Simon Armitage came away with his pride wounded. I'd never want to meet Morrissey.

It's all about the sea.

This interesting surname has two distinct possible sources. Firstly, the surname may be of Irish origin, and is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "O'Muirgheasa", descendant of "Muirgheasa", a personal name apparently derived from the elements "muir", sea, and "geas", action, and are a branch of the "Ui Fiachra", having their territory at the southern side of Sligo Bay. These are of MacDermot stock, being descended from Muiris, the grandson of a famous MacDermot. However, there is no Gaelic sept of Morrissey associated with Munster or Leinster. There was a very powerful family called de Marisco, whose first representatives in Ireland were Normans, attached to the house of Ormond, through which they obtained extensive grants of land. Many of the Norman families became thoroughly hibernicized, and the de Mariscos adopted the patronymic MacMuiris, and in due course this became, in many cases, Morrissey. On March 2nd 1824, John Morrissey married Margaret Daly at Currow R. C. Church, County Kerry, and James, son of James and Margaret Morrissey, was christened at Killarney, also in County Kerry. One Edward Morrisey, a famine emigrant, aged 25 yrs., arrived in New York on June 15th 1846, aboard the "Hottinguer" from Liverpool. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Niall O'Morrissey, of Sligo, which was dated 1659, in the "All-Ireland Census", during the reign of Richard Cromwell, known as "The Lord Protector", 1649 - 1659. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Morrissey#ixzz1VfBH2jhn

This interview made me cringe. It was if I just witnessed Moz kick a small dog. It seems Morrissey can't take compliments unless he is in awe of the person dishing them out. Morrissey did admit that he was a bit out of line in a statement on true to you, did he not. If he does indeed call Dermot just to say hello surely that shows a wee bit of contrition?

Simply being in the presence of the obsequious little X-Factor host would be enough to make me sullen and churlish, in all fairness.

I think Dermot O'Leary is great. All you haters are just toeing the line. Like the appalling Brand, if Morrissey said he loved him tomorrow you'd all be saying "Ooh, Dermot, isn't he great".

I think Dermot O'Leary is great. All you haters are just toeing the line. Like the appalling Brand, if Morrissey said he loved him tomorrow you'd all be saying "Ooh, Dermot, isn't he great".

Nice user name.

On the contrary, my opinion of O'Leary was formed a long time before I saw this thread. Yes, he's being honest on this occasion, but he's been an obsequious little git every time I've seen him on the TV. For the record, I can't stand Russell Brand.

Dermot seems like a nice guy. I wouldn't have anything in common with him.

I didn't mind that interview. I don't have to live with O'Leary/X-factor in the media at all so I had no preconceptions. They just seemed like people from wildly different sectors of the "entertainment business" but with a bit of an Irish Blood English Heart link and a few quips thrown at each other. I've said it before but I think Morrissey likes it when someone isn't afraid to bust his balls a bit, as long as there is basic respect.
A guy like Armitage is a queasy combination of reverent but also wanting to put himself on the same level as Morrissey (i.e. appearing in photos together). I think Morrissey hates that.

Nice user name.

It's just a "The". :)

On the contrary, my opinion of O'Leary was formed a long time before I saw this thread. Yes, he's being honest on this occasion, but he's been an obsequious little git every time I've seen him on the TV. For the record, I can't stand Russell Brand.

Perhaps he's just being himself and not just on this occasion, whether you think him obsequious or not.

I didn't mind that interview. I don't have to live with O'Leary/X-factor in the media at all so I had no preconceptions. They just seemed like people from wildly different sectors of the "entertainment business" but with a bit of an Irish Blood English Heart link and a few quips thrown at each other. I've said it before but I think Morrissey likes it when someone isn't afraid to bust his balls a bit, as long as there is basic respect.
A guy like Armitage is a queasy combination of reverent but also wanting to put himself on the same level as Morrissey (i.e. appearing in photos together). I think Morrissey hates that.

I wouldn't have thought Armitage was quite the opportunist you paint there (ie: wanting to elevate himself) I just think he is a pure devoted fan and as such has to pay the price. As you rightly say - Morrissey HATES 'that'!

Oddly enough, I am able to formulate independent ideas of my own. Sometimes they concur with Morrissey's, sometimes not. It's a talent I possess for having my own opinions.

Yes, I was probably too reductionist. In his defense I don't think Armitage was consciously trying to do it but it was just this weird combination of growing up wanting to be "a Morrissey" (cf. The Life and Times of a Rock-star Fantasist), becoming a poet of note instead, but still wanting to be seen as something more glamorous. He sure has a lot of pro photos taken of him for a poet. He looks like a younger Shaun Ryder that had never touched drugs or drink.

I wouldn't have thought Armitage was quite the opportunist you paint there (ie: wanting to elevate himself) I just think he is a pure devoted fan and as such has to pay the price. As you rightly say - Morrissey HATES 'that'!

Last edited:
I've met Dermot, about 2 years ago in a pub in london. My friends cousin has met Morrissey. After exchanging our details of said meetings.......i definitely know who i would like to chat to again. Morrissey was ''a nightmare'' and the only contribution to the group was to ''create one hell of an atmosphere''. Dermot was polite, relaxed ( if a little shy at times ) . Just because one gent is a 'genius' and the other gent in a 'tv personality'... makes no difference to how people like to judge each other,, we all do it !
So yes, never meet your idols

For more insight on how Morrissey behaves, view "The Man Who Came to Dinner". You can see where he gets it from.

Was amused to note that Morrissey used a line (almost) quoted from Bette Davis in this film. Some years ago Janice was trying to find out about Morrissey's love life and he answered "No, not even if you throw in a set of Pyrex dishes" - which is one of my favourite quips. In the film Davis tells a chap that someone might find him attractive....if he threw in a set of dises.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I suffer enough social anxiety to ever wish to meet one of my idols.
Now my twin sis' idol, John Turturro, was a dream. My own idols are scary. John Malkovich and Morrissey.

Simon Armitage encounter was hilarious.
"Did you mean to leave these here?" when he slipped his demo cd in for Morrissey to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom