Morrissey Central "Discredited." (June 25, 2023)

No, it’s not “good for him”! It’s extremely bad for him. He can’t get a record deal, the public opinion of him is at an all time low and each time he speaks his mind the hole he’s been digging for himself gets deeper and deeper. And yes-men and women like you, who goad him on with gusto every time he opens his mouth and tell him that everything he does is great, are complicit in effectively killing off his career. f***ing stop.
I answered to this really late last night, and maybe I was a bit flippant, since you seemed upset. Though I do not think he is "killing off" his career at all, our perceptions about this are probably skewed by where we are. Maybe if you're in the UK it might seem this way? Since his main "sins" are UK based (For Britain party, Brexit)

I don't think I'm a "yes-woman". When I say "good for him" I mean I'm glad he feels he can speak his mind. I want him to be able to, as everyone should be. I am aware this hasn't been great for his career, but there's more to life than one's career, after all. And I think artists who don't dare say anything controversial for fear of the mob are really quite pathetic.
I just hope, as Zoom for Gloom pointed out, that he's able to deal, on a personal level, with the consequences of it. Of course no one will be happy to see their career negatively affected, but I hope he's not too frustrated. And I don't know if his current inability to get a record deal is related to this (since it has happened before), but I hope he will decide to explore other avenues to release his music if this situation continues, instead of giving up.

I suspect that Morrissey's tarnished reputation will only be rehabilitated after his death, in the UK at least. Once that happens, a huge mass of people who have spent the last decade attacking him will be posting tearful tributes on Twitter and in the press, Billy Bragg included. The controversial alt-right years will be forgotten, and he will receive his due as a great artist. Posthumously.
Possibly. It could also be earlier than that or it could take some time afterwards (see Gash's post below). It largely depends on how the cultural and social climate evolves. I don't see how all this could not go away eventually, though, it is after all a huge bit of nothing.

There may be some truth in that. Although when Robbie Coltrane died - there were some horrible posts on Twitter about dancing on his grave. So I'm sure we can expect some lovely messages of that nature too. The woke are a rather unforgiving lot. #LoveWins

Possibly. It could also be earlier than that or it could take some time afterwards (see Gash's post below). It largely depends on how the cultural and social climate evolves. I don't see how all this could not go away eventually, though, it is after all a huge bit of nothing.

(y)

Well, when he first did it, Marr was pissed, but Moz was okay with it. This time, though, I think Morrissey is feeling somewhat disrespected. Giving the circumstances that others have pointed out here, or whatever the case may be, that doesn’t mean it can’t hurt. So, no I don’t feel that I’m being too harsh on Rick Ghastly. Especially since Rick said he “didn’t really care” what they thought.
I don't think Morrissey is feeling disrespected by the tribute act (it is a homage after all, and I find Johnny's annoyance in fact really strange), but by people like that guy who wrote that tweet.
Astley said that surely while knowing that Moz had even thanked him for it, so he had to be meaning Johnny?

Although I agree regarding modern Rick:
He, SAW and their music ruining the "indie" chart whilst being the antithesis of The Smiths at the time is difficult for my younger self to let go of.
Regards,
FWD.

(If someone had come up to me in the queue in Wolverhampton in '88 and said: Astley will be singing Morrissey in 2022/2023 - I'd have self-combusted).
Talking of SAW - remember this?
They get named on the list about 1 minute in...
Used as an intro before Moz came on around the time of Quarry.

I don't think Morrissey is feeling disrespected by the tribute act (it is a homage after all, and I find Johnny's annoyance in fact really strange), but by people like that guy who wrote that tweet.
Astley said that surely while knowing that Moz had even thanked him for it, so he had to be meaning Johnny?

Marr was posed because he and the Blossoms supported The Courteeners 2 weeks earlier and they never mentioned it him when they were together at the gig.

Marr was posed because he and the Blossoms supported The Courteeners 2 weeks earlier and they never mentioned it him when they were together at the gig.
Yeah, but while a bit strange they didn't tell him, it hardly seems something to be mad about.

Yeah, but while a bit strange they didn't tell him, it hardly seems something to be mad about.

maybe they were afraid that he wouldn’t have blessed the project, that they and Astley were going to do regardless of Marr’s opinion.

Why did he post this? He has been "discredited" in the eyes of many of his former fans, and his poor education could very well be partly to blame. He's not as smart as many of us thought he was. He expects unconditional love and presumed his fans would accept his views unconditionally. That's pretty out of touch don't you think?

Then there's the side of Moz that luxuriates in self-pity, and seems to crave martyrdom. He whines and wallows in this like a pig in mud. Who else can you think of who relentlessly plays the victim card like this?

He's right about one thing though...We're going to miss him when he's gone! Many will regret blowing him off and taking him for granted.

I suspect that Morrissey's tarnished reputation will only be rehabilitated after his death, in the UK at least. Once that happens, a huge mass of people who have spent the last decade attacking him will be posting tearful tributes on Twitter and in the press, Billy Bragg included. The controversial alt-right years will be forgotten, and he will receive his due as a great artist. Posthumously.
The most frustrating thing is that it doesn't have to be this way. Sure, there are a group of people who will never 'forgive' M and who have cancelled him forever. But, with the passage of time, there's a younger generation who have grown up in a time where they have been told not to listen to him, but aren't as directly exposed to the controversies as their parents' generation. I suspect for some they may rebel against this (a bit like prohibition!) and perhaps they will discover his music because they have been told they shouldn't by their parents' generation. The Glasto boost should help too Also, while I don't think he can ever reclaim the position he once had, I think people will just get bored of the official narrative, providing he does not keep stoking the fire (I know!!). What would really shift the needle is just self releasing some indisputably great new music and ceasing to repost the likes of Vance.

The most frustrating thing is that it doesn't have to be this way. Sure, there are a group of people who will never 'forgive' M and who have cancelled him forever. But, with the passage of time, there's a younger generation who have grown up in a time where they have been told not to listen to him, but aren't as directly exposed to the controversies as their parents' generation. I suspect for some they may rebel against this (a bit like prohibition!) and perhaps they will discover his music because they have been told they shouldn't by their parents' generation. The Glasto boost should help too Also, while I don't think he can ever reclaim the position he once had, I think people will just get bored of the official narrative, providing he does not keep stoking the fire (I know!!). What would really shift the needle is just self releasing some indisputably great new music and ceasing to repost the likes of Vance.
I think this was evident in the last UK tour. The most joyful for many a year. Each year there are more and more new fans who didn't live through (and weren't tainted by) the hellishness of Morrissey fandom that was autumn 2017 to spring 2019 when barely a month went by without him supporting/ endorsing/ defending some ghastly, toxic right-wing clown or other.
It's nearly 5 years now since all that crap and many of the teens and young adults that have been drawn into the Smiths' world recently may have heard vaguely what happened, but it hasn't tarnished him to the extent of those that witnessed it (in disbelief) first hand.
Let's hope this positivity continues in the upcoming UK tour. It will also be fascinating to see how things work out with the major change in band personnel.

Maybe it’s just everything. I don’t know. That tweet was really mean. 😕

God, he hasn’t killed off his career.
I wouldn't tell you to stop talking and stop having an opinion, but I would like to ask you something since you do seem able to stay optimistic regarding Morrissey, I would like your honest opinion, I am not going to argue it or anything - How do you feel or what do you think about the state of Morrissey's career right now? I do feel like it's close to dead, but honestly interested in your thoughts.

I wouldn't tell you to stop talking and stop having an opinion, but I would like to ask you something since you do seem able to stay optimistic regarding Morrissey, I would like your honest opinion, I am not going to argue it or anything - How do you feel or what do you think about the state of Morrissey's career right now? I do feel like it's close to dead, but honestly interested in your thoughts.
I think it's only lacking a record deal (or for Morrissey to stop being so obstinate and self release or release with an independent label). He's still writing songs at a good speed, and I for one still love what he writes these days, very much. He only needs to release them. His live career is in a great state, he has a solid audience to play to, worldwide, and his voice is in fantastic shape.

I know there's the issue of his reputation, semi-cancellation, etc. IMO his career is still in a healthy state even considering the lost fans, he still has a solid fan base, and I think the tide might change anyway. Probably someone from the Anglosphere has a different perception about this.

Not sure how worrying the lack of a label really is. It has happened before, and not only once either. It's up to him whether to wait or just look for other ways to release his music.

I do hope Moz himself doesn't feel disheartened about the state of things.

Last edited:
I think it's only lacking a record deal (or for Morrissey to stop being so obstinate and self release or release with an independent label). He's still writing songs at a good speed, and I for one still love what he writes these days, very much. He only needs to release them. His live career is in a great state, he has a solid audience to play to, worldwide, and his voice is in fantastic shape.

I know there's the issue of his reputation, semi-cancellation, etc. IMO his career is still in a healthy state even considering the lost fans, he still has a solid fan base, and I think the tide might change anyway. Probably someone from the Anglosphere has a different perception about this.

Not sure how worrying the lack of a label really is. It has happened before, and not only once either. It's up to him whether to wait or just look for other ways to release his music.

I hope Moz himself doesn't feel disheartened about the state of things.
Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it :)

guys, do you also have a strange feeling when you listen to his songs, that he sings your life, as if he lives in the same apartment with you and spies on you?
No. But I would seek treatment for potential paranoia.
Wait… did you just hear that noise?! There’s an intruder in your kitchen - run!

I Don’y know if any of you saw it, but BBC had an interview at glastonburry with Rick and the Guy from Blossoms. They were talking about how they loved the songs. How amazing the singing was and a lot of other praise. But while doing so they not once mentioned Morrissey by name. It was all ‘he’ sings , ‘he’ did this amazing’ bla bla. As if the avoided mentioning him on purpose. This came across very weird to me. They did not want to say Morrissey’s name. That’s why I thought he posted : discredited.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom