Do you agree with Morrissey's official endorsement of the For Britain political party?

Do you agree with Morrissey's official endorsement of the 'For Britain' political party

• Total voters
Meanwhile in the real world...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ore-of-a-twat-can-morrissey-be-20190517185710

His latest controversy (conveniently timed for when he is about to bring out a new album) reminds me of the time Terry Wogan pointed out to David Icke on Wogan, "They're laughing at you, they're not laughing with you..."

These same idiots don't realize that Muslims don't give a shit about them and the wake up call they and their"progressive" ideals will receive if England becomes an Islamic country

The news about Morrissey's toxic, idiotic political views hit the main UK media outlets (online and physical) on no fewer than 3 occasions in 6 months (late 2017 into mid 2018). By the time of the last one, his UK reputation had probably be damaged irreparably and permanently. He then announced a small UK summer tour to places he would usually have sold out pretty much straight away - the result? An embarrassing trickle of sales. Inevitably, the tour was cancelled. There is a big gap in the 2019 North American tour - the intention was clearly there for a UK/European tour but he appears to have bottled it. The results of this very poll say it all. It's only the die-hards who are left visiting this site these days and yet, even of them, around 50% completely disagree with his views, hence the crumbling of the fan-base.
Had he been someone like Tony Hadley, Phil Collins or Gary Barlow i.e. a renowned right wing voter, it wouldn't really have mattered. Huge numbers of people, however, were drawn to his world and the Smiths' due to the clear and passionate anti-right wing stance (Margaret on the Guillotine, Red Wedge, 'We won't vote Conservative', 'There are some bad people on the right' etc. These are the people that are now being driven away, and there are tons of them. Beyond the UK and Europe, it won't make much difference, as the main news organisations are simply not interested in him. People only really know him because of the music and the cultural significance of The Smiths.
Not this again! RISE. There are some bad people on the RISE. The video, for some inexplicable reason, shows it written as 'right' but the lyrics are clearly 'rise'. I don't think he was ever even overtly left wing (unlike Johnny), just anti-Thatcher and anti-establishment. People just joined the dots and made their own assumptions. Even now, he has no coherent political world view whatsoever: just a string of random statements of support for a ragbag of candidates promoting his own particular hobby horses. I don't share the hysteria over this, since to me he was always someone who came out with ludicrous, offensive (although often funny) statements, but let's at least be factual.

Last edited:
The news about Morrissey's toxic, idiotic political views hit the main UK media outlets (online and physical) on no fewer than 3 occasions in 6 months (late 2017 into mid 2018). By the time of the last one, his UK reputation had probably be damaged irreparably and permanently. He then announced a small UK summer tour to places he would usually have sold out pretty much straight away - the result? An embarrassing trickle of sales. Inevitably, the tour was cancelled. There is a big gap in the 2019 North American tour - the intention was clearly there for a UK/European tour but he appears to have bottled it. The results of this very poll say it all. It's only the die-hards who are left visiting this site these days and yet, even of them, around 50% completely disagree with his views, hence the crumbling of the fan-base.
Had he been someone like Tony Hadley, Phil Collins or Gary Barlow i.e. a renowned right wing voter, it wouldn't really have mattered. Huge numbers of people, however, were drawn to his world and the Smiths' due to the clear and passionate anti-right wing stance (Margaret on the Guillotine, Red Wedge, 'We won't vote Conservative', 'There are some bad people on the right' etc. These are the people that are now being driven away, and there are tons of them. Beyond the UK and Europe, it won't make much difference, as the main news organisations are simply not interested in him. People only really know him because of the music and the cultural significance of The Smiths.

How can you write a post with such assurance and not even get the lyrics right. Doh! :oops:

Morrissey Apologists are the most pathetic tribe of humans. He is entitled to his freedom of expression, association, and affiliation. This isn’t a “Free Speech” issue as some are hiding behind. It’s about accountability.

You either agree with his vile political opinions, or you don’t. Thankfully, here in the UK the vast majority don’t.

I'm so proud of Morrissey's official endorsement of the For Britain party!

Make Great Britain Great Again!

MGBGA! Order your hats now.

Morrissey Apologists are the most pathetic tribe of humans. He is entitled to his freedom of expression, association, and affiliation. This isn’t a “Free Speech” issue as some are hiding behind. It’s about accountability.

You either agree with his vile political opinions, or you don’t. Thankfully, here in the UK the vast majority don’t.
Correction: they do. They're called the silent majority.

I'd say culturally and certainly musically GB reached its apogee sometime in the 80s. Look at the films in this period (even Hollywood was banging out watchable produce). But back to music. An actual real indie alternative scene. Also a real pop scene that looking back at those old repeats of TOTPs was often pure quality. Actual goth music. Actual weird amazing uncategorizable stuff like the Cocteau Twins. The lingering of punk. The existence of the music press: NME, Melody Maker, Sounds. Politics you could rail against. The Smiths in actual real-time existence!

Bring Great Britain back to the 80s! Forget technological war weapons that can fry the military electronics of North Korea and Iran in a single zap, invent a time machine now!

Last edited:
I'd say culturally and certainly musically GB reached its apogee sometime in the 80s. Look at the films in this period (even Hollywood was banging out watchable produce). But back to music. An actual real indie alternative scene. Also a real pop scene that looking back at those old repeats of TOTPs was often pure quality. Actual goth music. Actual weird amazing categorizable stuff like the Cocteau Twins. The lingering of punk. The existence of the music press: NME, Melody Maker, Sounds. Politics you could rail against. The Smiths in actual real-time existence! What more can I say?

Bring Great Briain back the 80s! Forget technological war weapons that can fry the military electronics of North Korea and Iran in a single zap, invent a time machine now!

I’m sick of this “make Britain great again” shit, it was never great, it’s never has been great. It’s a phrase reserved for skin heads and beer throwing yobs with painted faces on St. George’s Day. We have a loutish culture, full of knuckle dragging halfwits. Only thing I’m proud of, are the young people of today that don’t hold the same prejudices as you do, I think we should all be proud of them, they welcome anyone with open arms, they embrace multiculturalism, it’s the older generations that’s holding society back. Bring back the 80’s? You mean, Thatcher, the height of racially fuelled Football hooliganism, the Falklands, Miners Strikes and Jim’ll Fix It! What a f***in’ dark time, and you crave it? Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

I’m sick of this “make Britain great again” shit, it was never great, it’s never has been great. It’s a phrase reserved for skin heads and beer throwing yobs with painted faces on St. George’s Day. We have a loutish culture, full of knuckle dragging halfwits. Only thing I’m proud of, are the young people of today that don’t hold the same prejudices as you do, I think we should all be proud of them, they welcome anyone with open arms, they embrace multiculturalism, it’s the older generations that’s holding society back. Bring back the 80’s? You mean, Thatcher, the height of racially fuelled Football hooliganism, the Falklands, Miners Strikes and Jim’ll Fix It! What a f***in’ dark time, and you crave it? Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Stop ruining it for me ... I wanna live in the 80s!

Meanwhile in the real world...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ore-of-a-twat-can-morrissey-be-20190517185710

His latest controversy (conveniently timed for when he is about to bring out a new album) reminds me of the time Terry Wogan pointed out to David Icke on Wogan, "They're laughing at you, they're not laughing with you..."

Absolutely this! New album? New controversy! Get Morrissey in the news because his music's not good enough to do it! Will it work or will it backfire? Broadway receipts say it works!

Back
Top Bottom