Douglas Coupland recalls his interview with Morrissey in 2006

Five-minute memoir: When in Rome - The Independent
Douglas Coupland was all set to interview Morrissey. And then the sleeping pills kicked in...

Excerpt-

In 2006, I flew to Rome to interview Morrissey for the weekend supplement of a UK paper.
I flew from Vancouver and to buffer the time-zone change, I was taking the latest in sleeping tablets and then… and then it all went horribly sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to hear Moz's account of this 'interview'...

Lol..

I've got better news , cause of my 2006 coma , due double pneunomia , 11 nights / 12 days on IC, and 8 on the 4th floor,
afterr that due physical problems I bought all tickets[ not the 2006 ones] when Morrissey came in the Netherland, even in my own city,still got the tickets, only went to WATT gig, it was horror luke atuna in a can

So this is my story how I wanted to go and had the oportunity/tickets...but not able to go, due my poor health.

Me thinks that's better news than Douglas Coupland valium trip in Rome

'and they say he's mentall'

I had to get helped to a plane in Moscow due to four little yellow pills bought in a branch of Boots in Jakarta, so I have some sympathy.

I was left with one question from this piece though. What sort of newspaper flies someone who has never interviewed anyone ever from Vancouver to Rome expressly for that purpose? Seems to me they got what they deserved from their brush with Morrissey. Nothing.

I've often wondered if some of Morrissey's dafter moments have stemmed from the utter boredom these encounters must elicit. The adulation of being a rock star might be nice if that's your sort of thing, the money might come in handy too, but the lifestyle itself stinks.

I've got better news , cause of my 2006 coma , due double pneunomia , 11 nights / 12 days on IC, and 8 on the 4th floor,
afterr that due physical problems I bought all tickets[ not the 2006 ones] when Morrissey came in the Netherland, even in my own city,still got the tickets, only went to WATT gig, it was horror luke atuna in a can

So this is my story how I wanted to go and had the oportunity/tickets...but not able to go, due my poor health.

Me thinks that's better news than Douglas Coupland valium trip in Rome

'and they say he's mentall'

This is an apt way to end your posts.

What a non-event and totally uninformative 'interview'. Much ado about nothing.

Morrissey's probably thinking, "f***, I was hilarious that day. Figures."

Coupland's story is pretty silly, but if it had happened to me I would feel like such a huge failure. If I got the call to interview Moz, I most certainly would not ingest any little pills. I would consider one drink, but only if Moz bought it for me.

Morrissey's probably thinking, "f***, I was hilarious that day. Figures."

What a non-event and totally uninformative 'interview'. Much ado about nothing.

Actually, it is kinda funny. I would have loved to have seen the look on Morrissey's face listening to the interviewer babble on about wierd shit.

Back
Top Bottom