Escondido, CA - Center for the Arts (Nov. 22, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You Have Killed Me / You're The One For Me, Fatty / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Alma Matters / Maladjusted / Black Cloud / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Action Is My Middle Name / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Meat Is Murder / Satellite Of Love / Scandinavia / I Know It's Over / All The Lazy Dykes / Speedway // Still Ill

set list provided by Delaney

Last edited:
Upon arriving home after enjoying, once again, a wonderful show from Morrissey I began to let the afterglow sink in. The concert didn't disappoint, in fact it was visually and musically brilliant. But I noticed something that I hadn't in previous Moz concerts, and I wonder if others picked up on my observation. Several times during the concert, Moz crossed himself (OK, seen that before), made a reference to the passing of Ms. Delaney (looking upward as to heaven) and prior to the encore suggested "having god with you as there is no one else' (not exact words, but close). In the new song "Scandinavia", Moz writes/sings "...the god that created you...". To what extent is Moz religious, and will these very public displays of Christianity continue to be reflected in his writing? I'm not talking about the references to Jesus and Satan that were used in a satirical way in his older Smiths/Solo catalog of songs, but how his newer repertoire (and behavior) is being displayed now. I'm a huge fan, and have much respect for his talent, political views and vegetarianism. (I share the latter two with him). But as an Atheist, I have to say I've been put off by all the religious inferences. I don't know if he's had a recent "conversion" or has he always been consistent in regard to matters of his faith? If someone has any insight to this issue, I (and perhaps the legion of Moz followers) would love to hear it.

Interesting observation. In "People are the same everywhere" there is also a reference

"Then our creator had to
Stumble and stall and our creator
Had to make the biggest mistake of all"

I think his upbringing instilled a sense of Catholicisim which may have become either diluted or transformed over the years, but it has certainly influenced him enormously. Always an interesting angle though as in "I have forgiven . . " or "and when I die I WANT to go to hell".

Upon arriving home after enjoying, once again, a wonderful show from Morrissey I began to let the afterglow sink in. The concert didn't disappoint, in fact it was visually and musically brilliant. But I noticed something that I hadn't in previous Moz concerts, and I wonder if others picked up on my observation. Several times during the concert, Moz crossed himself (OK, seen that before), made a reference to the passing of Ms. Delaney (looking upward as to heaven) and prior to the encore suggested "having god with you as there is no one else' (not exact words, but close). In the new song "Scandinavia", Moz writes/sings "...the god that created you...". To what extent is Moz religious, and will these very public displays of Christianity continue to be reflected in his writing? I'm not talking about the references to Jesus and Satan that were used in a satirical way in his older Smiths/Solo catalog of songs, but how his newer repertoire (and behavior) is being displayed now. I'm a huge fan, and have much respect for his talent, political views and vegetarianism. (I share the latter two with him). But as an Atheist, I have to say I've been put off by all the religious inferences. I don't know if he's had a recent "conversion" or has he always been consistent in regard to matters of his faith? If someone has any insight to this issue, I (and perhaps the legion of Moz followers) would love to hear it.
No, I think no conversion, it's just his personal background of a strictly catholic education, it's something no easy to forget and, as usual, persists all life long.

I forgot to add that at the top, we couldn't see the backdrop/videos playing in the back during Morrissey's set, which I think adds to the experience, because of the stage light fixtures that came down (we could see just fine during Kristeen's). But still enjoyed the show.

OR I should say because the backdrop was too far back for us to see, not because the light fixtures came down sorry. :)

I don't know if he's had a recent "conversion" or has he always been consistent in regard to matters of his faith? If someone has any insight to this issue, I (and perhaps the legion of Moz followers) would love to hear it.

I don't believe that there are just two kinds of people, the believers and the non-believers, those who have faith, and those who haven't. Many don't think that rigidly. And besides, Morrissey is not the type to 'convert' to anything, to change... If he has some kind of Christian faith, it has always been so.

Also, utterly Christian themes of sin and guilt, forgiveness and longing for 'a another world, a better world', have always been a crucial part of his writing.

So, don't worry. Morrissey is certainly not an atheist, but he will never be a Good Church-Going Christian either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34485059@N06/6388382697

Not a stunning photo but a shot of the beautiful and touching tribute to SD. I'll type more when I'm not on my phone in bed trying to sleep. Morrissey sounded very happy and looked more fit in person from way up in the balcony than in the photographs. Also there might have been technical problems, after he left the stage one of the guys slammed his guitar down in what seemed frustration rather than rock and roll flair.

Last edited:
I don't believe that there are just two kinds of people, the believers and the non-believers, those who have faith, and those who haven't. Many don't think that rigidly. And besides, Morrissey is not the type to 'convert' to anything, to change... If he has some kind of Christian faith, it has always been so.

Also, utterly Christian themes of sin and guilt, forgiveness and longing for 'a another world, a better world', have always been a crucial part of his writing.

So, don't worry. Morrissey is certainly not an atheist, but he will never be a Good Church-Going Christian either.
Hey Anonymous, interesting thought, "I don't believe that there are just two kinds of people, the believers and the non-believers, those who have faith, and those who haven't. Many don't think that rigidly."
I have always thought the opposite. That is, you either only believe what you can see or you believe in that there is more. Would you be open to expanding on your idea?

You would love OMD then--their lead singer is like you, and he is not afraid to voice his views. However, he does put down or criticize those who believe. This can be a turnoff.

For those who are unaware SD (Shelagh Delaney) died this past Sunday, certain that must have had something to do with the mood

For those who are unaware SD (Shelagh Delaney) died this past Sunday, certain that must have had something to do with the mood

Thanks for that all-seeing, all-knowing broadcaster of information to the uninformed. Give yourself a pat on the back for making yourself feel more knowledgeable than the common man. I hope your bowl of Birds Custard tastes as sweet as your farts tonight.

Setlist was the same aside from Alma Matters thrown in and FOTGTD taken off.Great energy from Him and his voice sounded much better than on the last tour. He seemed really engaged and spoke a lot. The crowd were extremely enthusiastic between songs and screamed a lot. During songs it was never really frantic until the end, people went kind of nuts.Maladjusted was by far my favorite song of the night. So happy it was included on the tour. The song still slays and his voice sounded better than ever during it.Kudos to him and the band for a great show.The new way he does Speedway was amazing and dynamic, I really enjoyed it.Only bad part was Lazy Dykes, that song is still just as unbearable live as it is on the album. It is the Papa Jack of the set. Just not good in any way.Other than that, the show was really, really good. Excited to see the Vegas and Shrine shows!

SO after the 45 minute wait at the border line, the hour and a half drive to the venue, not being able to find it at first, i was thinking this just doesnt look good, then finally at the CA center for the arts, wich was not only beautiful but with a great acoustic, i was worried about my seats having never been there, when i got to the seats i was just in the middle of the floor, with a great view, Kristeen young started, i must say i didnt know anything about her, but at the end of her set i still didnt know if i had liked it (wich probably means i didnt), then the videos before the show started, i must say i loved them, Finally MOZ and the gang arrived, the man looks fit, for the first time i heard youre the one for me fatty/alma matter, still ill, the whole show was awesome, i agree with most of the people on the forum, almost everyone around me was pretty upset or surprised by the video, but honestly i did like it, i dont take personally those issues or the religious comments, i just enjoyed the whole show, when it ended i just felt like this was probably the second best show i've seen of him ( being the best the show he did in Tijuana Mexico a couple of years ago), i was passing by the mix desk and ask for the set list, GOT IT:D.So drive back i felt like a kid who had just got out of a candy store, 3 t shirts, 2 button sets, A SET LIST, and grattitude for MOZ and the gang. :clap:

Pick up one of the books on Morrissey, not with his approval to be written, and you will see That Christianity (Catholic up-bringing) plays a big role.

I'm no expert, but those are my thoughts: Think of some of the song titles: Dear God Please Help Me/I have forgiven Jesus/etc.

I suggest reading "The Pageant of his bleeding heart," forgot the authors name

Awesome show last night, can't wait until Saturday at the Shrine~

Absolutely awesome show! Seen many Moz shows and his voice was in tip top form. Venue and sound quality perfect! 2 questions for the "devout" and feel free to call me undevoted for asking. 1. Did he play several new songs? "Action is my middle name", "Skandinaivia", etc? 2. Was that Boz Boorer? I was up in the balcony and it was hard to tell if it was Boz or not? Just curious.

Morrissey show was a nice small venue. 5th row center so could see everything perfect. But I want to know, who was the band behind him? Seems like they had an extra guy on stage when there only used to be 4 guys. Hmmm? NO ONE made it on stage which was a bummer! Didn't seem like the typical Morrissey crowd, and when waiting for him to come out to do the encore, the way the people were trying to chant "MORRISSEY" was definitely out of toon LOL. Overall, he sounded great and seemed to be in an OK mood. :)

Moz was amazing. I've probably seen him over 30 times and it never gets old. He looked good, maybe lost some weight. Sounded really good also. I've never heardI know its Over live before so that was definitely a treat. Alma Matters, Still Ill were also nice to hear. Venue was really neat, hadn't been there since my high school prom. Over 10 years ago :)

I was at the Santa Fe show (from L.A.) and I was going to comment earlier that, because of the images on the backdrop, the same backdrop that is used to show the animal tortures video, the video isn't clear at all. That and the lighting fixtures made it difficult to see what's really going on. Not sure if it's intentionally done so as not to gross the audience out too much, but I would have preferred to have seen the images, to see what really goes on in the meat industry and animal cruelty.

Venus, the goddess of love, has a strong effect on your romantic life. Expect to receive an amorous advance. Everyone loves to be wooed, and you are not immune. However, if love is new, slow down, rather than rush in. It's wise to be friends first and take small steps after.

Don't waste time trying to explain to your critics what it is you are trying to do. If you know that what you are doing is right then you should also have the confidence to just get on and do it. That means now!

Back
Top Bottom