Far Out: "When Mark E. Smith reviewed Morrissey’s first solo album" by Tom Taylor (August 21, 2021)

M5GA75-1.jpg

When Mark E. Smith reviewed Morrissey’s first solo album

"There’s misanthropy, and there’s whatever you’d call Mark E. Smith. If the late Fall frontman gave any less of a shit, then he’d be in dire need of a colonic. He was a monolith of sadism tearing down the icons of all the filthy Bolshevist and backstabbing bastards that he perceived to be in his merry way as he went slashing through the norm like some demented daemon of the demimonde.

In short, he is not necessarily the kind of iconoclast that you’d want to review your work in a hurry. He once even dismissed every single one of his musical cohorts in one fell swoop, stating: “The thing with me, is I can’t stick musicians. I’ve thought about this. I can’t stand them, and being stuck in a studio with them I think that’s my strength, I can hear what they can’t.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Im bored with all of this. ! Any news from the upcoming las Vegas shows. ?

I was drinking with one such person not long after Mark’s funeral. He told me about a huge scrap at the post burial reception, which involved half of the pub. He smiled at me and said “Mark would have f***in loved that”.
[/QUOTE]

Above anon post edited to fully display images of Mark's Viva review from the archive here.
FWD.

I was drinking with one such person not long after Mark’s funeral. He told me about a huge scrap at the post burial reception, which involved half of the pub. He smiled at me and said “Mark would have f***in loved that”.
[/QUOTE]

That’s the fella. Lives just around the corner from me.

Here's the real origin of the name of the band...

I heard Marr and Moz say in an interview (South Bank Show?) that they picked the most ordinary name they could think of to countetact bands with pompous 17 syllable names? Maybe they were thinking of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (only 9 syllables I think!). As it happens I've since come to think that the first 2 or 3 OMD albums are excellent. And I don't think people sitting in bedrooms necessarily produce "sterile music" on keyboards. I love Keaftwerk, Electronic, OMD, John Carpenter, Gary Numan, etc. Moz was often wrong in his distaste for other bands.

Come to think of it, pretty sure I heard that Moz was
originally gonna call The Smiths, The Smith Family,
on account of all the folks he liked who had the last
name of Smith.
There was Patti Smith, Mark E. Smith, Fred "Sonic"
Smith, Huey "Piano" Smith, Stan Smith, Bessie
Smith, Jimmy Smith, Vivian Smith, Parrish Smith
and probably some other folks I'm forgetin'.
And of course Robert Smith. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 75545

When Mark E. Smith reviewed Morrissey’s first solo album

"There’s misanthropy, and there’s whatever you’d call Mark E. Smith. If the late Fall frontman gave any less of a shit, then he’d be in dire need of a colonic. He was a monolith of sadism tearing down the icons of all the filthy Bolshevist and backstabbing bastards that he perceived to be in his merry way as he went slashing through the norm like some demented daemon of the demimonde.

In short, he is not necessarily the kind of iconoclast that you’d want to review your work in a hurry. He once even dismissed every single one of his musical cohorts in one fell swoop, stating: “The thing with me, is I can’t stick musicians. I’ve thought about this. I can’t stand them, and being stuck in a studio with them I think that’s my strength, I can hear what they can’t.”"

Regards,
FWD.
I think there is more evidence to suggest the verse from C.r.e.e.p wasn't about M, than there is for it.
In fact the ONLY person saying that is Jason. It's not recorded anywhere that Mark said that about him.
Plus, Mark, although a wind-up merchant who liked to wind M up, was often quite fond of M, in a " He's one of mine" kind of way .
He has said mostly positive stuff about M in public, including something like " people often think I'm the singer from The Smiths, that's alright .. Ill take that , I like em" . The stuff in this actual article, the stuff Mark actually said, is positive about The Smiths and M and he was seen at at least , one M concert.

They like to try and kick at M's shines, to take his legs away. Hes still standing. He was then , he is today

I think there is more evidence to suggest the verse from C.r.e.e.p wasn't about M, than there is for it.
In fact the ONLY person saying that is Jason. It's not recorded anywhere that Mark said that about him.
Plus, Mark, although a wind-up merchant who liked to wind M up, was often quite fond of M, in a " He's one of mine" kind of way .
He has said mostly positive stuff about M in public, including something like " people often think I'm the singer from The Smiths, that's alright .. Ill take that , I like em" . The stuff in this actual article, the stuff Mark actually said, is positive about The Smiths and M and he was seen at at least , one M concert.

They like to try and kick at M's shines, to take his legs away. Hes still standing. He was then , he is today

Brix hated Moz though, she says so in her book and she co-wrote that song.

Did a bit of research into both The Smiths & The Fall playing on the same bill.
The Smiths supported The Fall in 83 at the Electric Ballroom in London.
They both played at the same gigs in Liverpool (benefit for Liverpool city council) and Manchester GMEX Festival of the 10th Summer both in 1986.
Finally, the original Anti Apartheid gig at the Royal Albert Hall in November 86 had The Fall supporting The Smiths.
The gig was cancelled due to Johnny's car crash. When rearranged for Brixton in December 86, The Fall (for whatever reason) did not appear and were replaced by Pete Shelley and - of course - this became The Smiths final live gig

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom