Fiona Dodwell: "Exclusive: Interview With Marion Singer, Jaime Harding" - Morrissey mentions (May 15, 2023)

paris-1996-twab-clivelawrence6.jpg

Excerpt:

"He is a raw, honest and innovative artist, yet Harding has experienced significant lows as well as highs throughout his career so far, and much of this was reported in the mainstream press. His encounter with grief after the loss of his manager and close friend, Joe Moss (who had managed legendary Manchester band, the Smiths in the 80’s) and his long-term use of drugs were amongst the biggest struggles of the star. Harding never shied away from these struggles though, and faced them head on, battling against addiction and trauma over recent years."

Regards,
FWD.

It was a poor decision: a good opening act is great for growing the industry that sustains all tours, and it can do so much that’s positive for the gig atmosphere. The best can earn themselves a completely new fanbase.

Conversely, watching Girl in a Coma (2015?) having humourless stand-up arguments with pissed up audience members created nothing more than a massive queue at the bar.

Agree, that's how I discovered Joy Division when they supported Buzzcocks

Back in the day I liked seeing new bands in clubs anyway, so I was glad when Morrissey moved to intro videos instead of having opening bands.
The intro videos are boring crap in my opinion. I preferred Kristeen Young as support, as a lot of the audience hated her, so it would be mildly dramatic. Seeing the same series of YouTube videos night after night is mind numbing tedium.

Gene never opened a Morrissey show. The Killer's opened a Morrissey show. Martin was always very nice and kind to Americans during their heyday. Much like the other Morrissey introduced bands (Echobelly, Elcka, Courteeners). I think they all wanted a piece of the Morrissey pie. I don't mean that in a negative way. They just saw what he had and wanted the same. Since he endorsed them then they thought maybe they could inherit that rabid fan base.
I saw Gene at the tiny St. Andrew's, downtown Detroit. Got to talk to them a little bit after the show. How could anyone not love this song?

B
I’d have Gallon Drunk as his best ever openers (I saw them live, but not supporting Morrissey, in ‘94). Probably Franz Ferdinand would be the best openers I’ve seen. I arrived too late to see Beck precede him at Old Trafford Cricket Ground; I regret that.
Beck wasn‘t on the bill that day.

Not a bad interview and I appreciate again that we get full answers and there isn't much of Fiona pushing herself forward.

She could have asked a few Johnny questions considering he produced Marion's 2nd LP.

It's interesting that Joe Moss and Morrissey spent quite a bit of time together on the road (according to Joe Moss) during that tour.

Gallon Drunk couldn't or wouldn't actually play properly. They were terrible. Great Morrissey tour though, 1992, The Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan. Huge arena show.
I spoke to the singer about the tour—he said the audience was so disinterested and noisy that they occasionally just kept repeating the same song for the entire set.

I spoke to the singer about the tour—he said the audience was so disinterested and noisy that they occasionally just kept repeating the same song for the entire set.
Yes, it was 1992 and Morrissey was playing massively big venues, and everyone was there for Morrissey not Gallon Drunk. Their style was much different and did not appeal to audiences. People talked over them and that can be expected at an outdoor show. Outdoor shows give people more reason to talk while the band plays.

Wow. The Apollo gig?

Yes but I also sort of saw them a few days earlier at Blackburn King Georges Hall (supporting Buzzcocks) but was listening from the bar, whereas at the Apollo I watched the full set. Then a really odd thing happened in 198o on 22nd May at Manchester Poly when I was watching Buzzcocks yet again, Pete Shelly said "This ones called Strage Things and it's dedicated to Ian Curtis who died at the weekend" no internet or mobile phones then so it was a massive shock to the audience. Another interesting thing is that as well as being Morriseys birthday, the 22nd May is also my eldest daughters!!

Any idea where I didn’t see Beck?
Hyde Park 2008 Wireless Festival.

I also saw Siouxsie Sioux and, from memory, Howling Bells. I was quite drunk and lost my wallet.

Best Morrissey opener for me was either Franz Ferdinand at MEN 45th birthday gig or PJ Harvey at Birmingham National Indoor Arena. Both 2004.... With an honourable mention to Anna Calvi in Dublin 2014.

Saw Marion in 1995 and thought they were fairly non-descript.

Yes, it was 1992 and Morrissey was playing massively big venues, and everyone was there for Morrissey not Gallon Drunk. Their style was much different and did not appeal to audiences. People talked over them and that can be expected at an outdoor show. Outdoor shows give people more reason to talk while the band plays.
Yes. They must’ve been up against it. They were basically playing London pub venues, before that call.

I like Marion great band, saw them in Manchester a few years back. I enjoyed Doll and the Kicks support Moz. Couldn't stand Kristeen Young personally.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom