Fiona Dodwell: "A Rebel Without Promo" (January 5, 2023)

As I said, I think it's fine to be associated with her from time to time but not with this constancy.

Yes, but I wonder if he’s trying to make a point with this constancy. He’s not dumb, he knows good writing from bad, though he’s obviously safe with her, but there may be more to it.

It wasn't new material, but when I first saw the Specials at the Manchester Apollo in 2011 (?), they were selling a live recording of the very gig that you just saw and listened to, for around £20-25 if I remember correctly. The gig was recorded that very night, by "Abbey Road Live", and burned onto CDs on the same night, which came in an LP style folding sleeve, which had been signed by the band. You put in your order before the band came on, then picked it up from the merch stall within 30 minutes of the gig ending. They obviously sold like mad, and I still have mine. It's totally unique to the gig that you saw, enabling you to cherish and recall the memory of it all even more.

Morrissey could very easily do something like this, rather than selling signed LPs of other artists for £200+ a pop.

Edit: here is said CD. It's lovely, and it's signed by the original line up (minus Jerry) before Neville and Roddy left, and before John and Terry sadly passed away.
View attachment 87636

View attachment 87637
I have thatI loved that tour . I have suggested this also . I have no clue why he won't do this . It boogles the mind

So do you think the vinyl reissues will still happen?

When you say the general public is reared on electronic music I don't follow. All the popular shite like Sheeran, Adele, Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Harry Styles, Swift, Country & Western scour etc could hardly be labelled electronic music. Some of them may have tinkered with electronic music but not the pure form. When I think of proper electronic music I think of John Foxx, Daniel Davies, The Belbury Circle, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, John Carpenter, Blancmange, Wojciech Golczewski, Wendy (Walter) Carlos, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, some of Depeche Mode, early JM Jarre, early New Order, etc. Although some of those bands are (relatively) successful I wouldn't say the general public is reared on them. You wouldn't hear them much on bullshit daytime radio. Maybe I'm missing your point. I just finished season 3 of Dark on Netflix and my brain is fried.
Dark is a top show mate
Respect
I agree with the comment about electronic music you made. There is a tone of music that does well that isn't electronic .
Seems like people making up excuses

The song doesn’t exactly suck, it’s a re-hash of Cemetry Gates, it might have been a hit in another era, but no more. Funny how Moz is all puffed up with his own genius, but this lightweight fluff is what he puts out as evidence. Especially egregious is the awful twinkly keyboard solo.
"The song doesn’t exactly suck, it’s a re-hash of Cemetry Gates"
is gonna be the review on the lp over , thing is its fecking how most feel

where is it?

@Surface that N.O fan holiday wish, isn’t so impressive. Of course it’s more than M would do, but still.

Gary Numan

@numanofficial
·
25 Dec 2022

Merry Christmas Everyone. Thank you so much for all your support this year, I’m very, very grateful. I’m looking forward to sharing my plans for 2023 with you soon. X

Gary Numan

@numanofficial
·
1 Jan

Happy New Year everyone. You helped make 2022 a very special, memorable year for me. Thank you so much. See you soon.

I thought the same at first, if they’re going to sign him then they must believe in the product, right? But unfortunately, It’s probable that they signed him, not for the new album, but for the reissues.
Aside from the money from vinyl reissues, I expect they might not have thought Morrissey's new album was ever going to sell millions, but the addition of some star power in Miley Cyrus might have been tempting. And now they can't even issue the recordings with her on them.

Spot on analysis...no matter how you look at this issue, Capitol treats M like shite, why buy the rights to an album, do no promotion, unless you have scores to settle from the World Peace album.
Being serious do you think buying into Mozers delusional mindset helps him or hinders him ?
Its 2023 the West is on the brink of recession the music industry isn't in great shape. Do you really think people go around buying lps to burry them ?
Its obvious part of the selling point was Miley which was the whole point in having her .
When she went that was that
Like others have said it seems like Miley agreed to do vocals and have the joint picture taken but she never agreed to be part be promotion .
I knew Moz was gonna get all Xfiles when he did that long ass blog post
Poor old Moz

Not sure it's that cloak & dagger (first link)
Not sure responses were of the type being sought 😂 (IG comments - second link).
FWD.

Can I please get my money back for the “postponed” show at the Fillmore in Minneapolis?

Spot on analysis...no matter how you look at this issue, Capitol treats M like shite, why buy the rights to an album, do no promotion, unless you have scores to settle from the World Peace album.
I look at it from an angle that maybe Morrissey pissed in the pot when he (or SER) announced that Miley Cyrus appeared on the album when it was supposed to be uncredited. Maybe this actually threw a wrench in what was to be Capitol's plans to promote BOT. Do you really think Capitol invested money in BOT just to punish and silence Morrissey?

Last edited:
Richard Blade promoted it, which may have been at the request of the record company, and Morrissey chose to completely ignore that, and so does FiDo. Morrissey did absolutely nothing on his own social media to promote it. Look at every other band out there and how they handle a new single.
A look at Alain's FB page could make one wonder if they are still associated and if the new album is happening. Maybe the non announcement of the France dates means there is not a band anymore.
I think Morrissey has probably done enough to break the contract with the record company and they can just demand their money back and he can get his album back, looks like he has the rights to the single, so it could have happened. The record company probably has no reason to want to work with him, he is far more trouble than he is worth.

The Official FB appeared to be a portal for generic news, sales & advertising etc - with someone other than labels controlling it.
Unfortunately, linking to morrisseyofficial.com which has been parked as a domain for 9+ months isn't helpful.

Screenshot_20230109-021554.png

Still, the above was only matched by Maverick posting the Rebels single art once on a disappearing IG story.
Unless not promoting your own work is contracted, I'd have guessed he'd promote it regardless of what the label were or weren't doing (BMG were not amazing in this regard either).
FWD.

The Official FB appeared to be a portal for generic news, sales & advertising etc - with someone other than labels controlling it.
Unfortunately, linking to morrisseyofficial.com which has been parked as a domain for 9+ months isn't helpful.

View attachment 87647

Still, the above was only matched by Maverick posting the Rebels single art once on a disappearing IG story.
Unless not promoting your own work is contracted, I'd have guessed he'd promote it regardless of what the label were or weren't doing (BMG were not amazing in this regard either).
FWD.

I don't think I've ever seen any other artist go through this much... puzzlement with regards to distribution and clarity of information. It's like a labyrinth.

So do you think the vinyl reissues will still happen?

When you say the general public is reared on electronic music I don't follow. All the popular shite like Sheeran, Adele, Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Harry Styles, Swift, Country & Western scour etc could hardly be labelled electronic music. Some of them may have tinkered with electronic music but not the pure form. When I think of proper electronic music I think of John Foxx, Daniel Davies, The Belbury Circle, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, John Carpenter, Blancmange, Wojciech Golczewski, Wendy (Walter) Carlos, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, some of Depeche Mode, early JM Jarre, early New Order, etc. Although some of those bands are (relatively) successful I wouldn't say the general public is reared on them. You wouldn't hear them much on bullshit daytime radio. Maybe I'm missing your point. I just finished season 3 of Dark on Netflix and my brain is fried.
I believe Capitol is now likely to release the reissues in plain brown paper bags....

Yes it was a brilliant interview he did with JR a few years ago, very witty.
19 years ago! 😅 The passing of time and all that…

Yes sir

This made me LOL " For instance, Cosmic Dancer " that hit Mil views
Nothing to do with David Bowie then.
Also its a song by Marc Bolan
Feck me
Not just Cosmic Dancer but all of Morrissey singles of the past 5 years have reached 1M streams.

I think she’s used that as an example as it was also not promoted and a stand-alone single release just as RWA is for the time being.

Yes it was a brilliant interview he did with JR a few years ago, very witty.
Was it a brilliant interview?
It was nice to see Moz looking suave in a red jacket with a great album to plug. But other than that it was a fairly naff interview. The funniest bit was when JR asked Moz if he could be his friend. The rest was pap.
Moz should maybe do something more serious, like Newsnight on BBC2. Question Time would be a mistake and I think he has been wise to avoid that. The interview David Bowie did on Newsnight was a real gem.
That grey space in the middle is what the 21st century is going to be about. DB understood the importance of medium. Moz seems to have got lost in that grey space in the middle. I hope he can find his way out.

I wish he'd do an interview like that, too, the Bowie / Newsnight one.

But presumably he knows he'd get asked about his political views (unless he tried to negotiate an interview where that was off the table, but then any such interview would just get mocked) - and he's clearly not comfortable being asked about that stuff by any kind of proper journalist. (Even one who wasn't out to stitch him up.) Hence we end up with sub-standard things like the Dodwell chat.

I've said it before, but pretty much the only "interview" thing I can see working for Morrissey at this point is a Louis Theroux hour-long documentary recorded at his hotel or whatever. Theroux would challenge him on his views, of course, but it could also end up being more funny / playful / eccentric...

(Alternatively, some kind of Netflix one-off that's just one of his live shows with a tiny bit of backstage stuff interwoven: imagine if one his recent UK shows had been professionally recorded!)

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom