First Morrissey gig

Newcastle City Hall 1986
can't remember owt about it...other than drinking too much sherry before the gig, standing on the seats and meeting a nice lad

Ha! Yeah, I’d say that’s fair! We’re you a fan of the Smiths back then, Baz?
Yes I was , really got into them late 84. Was aware of them from the start, but didn’t appreciate them, until a lad I worked with got another job and took all his cassettes with him, two being their first two albums.
I found my self lost for a week or so, so decided to buy all I could RE the smiths .

Yes I was , really got into them late 84. Was aware of them from the start, but didn’t appreciate them, until a lad I worked with got another job and took all his cassettes with him, two being their first two albums.
I found my self lost for a week or so, so decided to buy all I could RE the smiths .
That’s great! Must’ve been a beautiful thing to have experienced The Smiths back then and also in Northern Britain. To me, it’s a mythological thing.

That’s great! Must’ve been a beautiful thing to have experienced The Smiths back then and also in Northern Britain. To me, it’s a mythological thing.
Yer it was great at the time , watching them on the music TV shows, reading interviews in the music press. They really did have the world at their feet.

Huh? Carlisle is in Northern England. England is part of Great Britain.
Rhyl is in northern Wales. Wales is part of Britain. That doesn’t mean Rhyl is in northern Britain.
Northern England is in the middle of Britain.

Rhyl is in northern Wales. Wales is part of Britain. That doesn’t mean Rhyl is in northern Britain.
Northern England is in the middle of Britain.
Carlisle is right on the Scottish border, though.

Carlisle is right on the Scottish border, though.
It is, yes.
7DB78F3A-C8C8-47DE-A482-AF68D3BF6545.jpeg

Liverpool Arena 2009 😪🙄🍻👎

It was then a painfully long wait until the 2011 tour, but the setlists made it all worth while.

First proper gig then was Hawick Town Hall, you just had to be there ….

Probably still the best gig I’ve ever been too, honourable mentions to Bradford and Hopfarm festival too.

Now thanks to Alains return and all the 90’s era peak solo tunes look possible to be heard again - these upcoming uk dates could easily be the best since then 🤞

The ill-fated Riviera Theatre of 1997, shortened because M had come down with the "Chicago flu." There were already ill omens: I was attending with someone I had unrequited feelings for and it was my first time driving in Chicago. When parking before the gig, I inadvertently turned the wrong way down a one way and had to execute a three-point turnaround in an unfamiliar VW, stick shift van.

On the bright side, M and the band made it through "Sunny." Though I was chagrined to learn later that "Nobody Loves Us" was apparently on the set list but skipped since it leapt into set list oblivion thereabouts.

My first full-length show was Chicago Theatre, February 10, 2000. Much better experience, the only fly in the ointment being that the surprise Metro gig announced for two days later saw the return of "Boxers" and the live debuts of "I Am Hated For Loving" and "Ouija Board, Ouija Board."

My first Morrissey show was in Yuma, Arizona in 2002. It was awesome. My favorite show was in Los Angeles in 2014. I went with my little sister, and it was my favorite show because he sang Asleep. That was a dream come true for me. I will always treasure those memories.
Nice.

I only started to like The Smiths because my brother played them in his room all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom