Foals

Neader

"Take me out tonight"
They deserve their own thread.

I didn't like their first album too much, a couple songs stuck out and that was it.

Their new song Spanish Sahara is incredible and has gotten me really psyched for their next album coming out in May.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
They deserve their own thread.

I didn't like their first album too much, a couple songs stuck out and that was it.

Their new song Spanish Sahara is incredible and has gotten me really psyched for their next album coming out in May.

Thoughts?

i just came here to post this up :)

great song, showing just enough change from the first album to get me really stoked. i love Antidotes to death though, so i wouldn't mind a sequel.

*edit*

i would also like to point out the similarities between this video and the video for The Antlers "Bear"

Surely they ought to be called Interplay?

(Interpol + Coldplay)

I do love their name as it is, though. If they ever have big chart success they can call their greatest hits package "Foals' Gold".

Foals are fantastic, The French Open is a amazing first song on any album.

And the artwork is superb.

I can't wait for their new album.

Well what's not to love about that track? Fantastic. I loved Antidotes and I'm now damn sure more of my hard-earned is going to be spent on this band.

that's a little harsh, don't you think? i thought it sounded like a Tindersticks swipe. regardless, can't wait for the album/tour

From which three bands does Tindersticks derive? I've never heard of them, but it's inevitable. Look, it sucks being old and having an encyclopedic memory for these things. It really does take a lot of the fun out of things. You have to give us oldsters a break, because I, for one, am never going to be punched in the gut by musical greatness again (nor by love, it seems) and that's a harsh reality to apply your wrinkle cream to each night.

From which three bands does Tindersticks derive?

back in the day they were pretty original, but after the band member switch-up i'd say they are a mix of Lee Hazlewood, Nick Cave and...uh, American Recordings Johnny Cash

Look, it sucks being old and having an encyclopedic memory for these things. It really does take a lot of the fun out of things. You have to give us oldsters a break, because I, for one, am never going to be punched in the gut by musical greatness again (nor by love, it seems) and that's a harsh reality to apply your wrinkle cream to each night

well, the good thing is that soon you'll get Alzheimer's and every song you hear will be fresh and new

I'd say the Tindersticks' second and third albums belong among the very best releases of the nineties. They inhabit a musical landscape where outright originality is really neither possible or relevant, but at their best they brought exquisite tunes and a lot of distinctiveness. Take a song like "Fast one" (from Curtains) - a little masterpiece of sweet melancholy balancing on the precipice of discordance and occasionally tipping over it only to retrieve itself - a song constantly threatening to fall apart, but which doesn't. Even Cave hasn't quite pulled off anything as beautiful as that in my opinion.

Anyway, I'd forgive people capable of something like the ending climax of "Let's Pretend" anything.

I have to say I have a weak spot for Foals too, largely as a result of the excellent B-side "Gold Gold Gold". Haven't checked out the new stuff yet, but I look forward to doing so.

cheers

Surely they ought to be called Interplay?

(Interpol + Coldplay)

As I was watching this video Mr. Anaesthesine popped his head around the door and asked "is that Coldplay?"

I do like this, though. Had the video ended with him crying frozen tears and hugging the meat instead of roasting it, I would have liked it much more.

I was going to say caressing the meat, but that sounded even worse.

How about mourning the carcass?

Applied to my case it would be "morning, the carcass".

I think Morning In Caracas is a particularly potent form of cocaine.

What were we talking about?

I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with Joy Division.

Bearded brooders from Brooklyn? Or the real ones?

I suppose by bumping the thread we are helping support the singular genius of Foals. I'm looking forward to reading Jack Bevan's autobiography, "A Foal Such As I".

I'd say the Tindersticks' second and third albums belong among the very best releases of the nineties.

...which isn't saying much, but yeah.

actually, everything up to (and including) Waiting For The Moon had some varying level of amazing. then Stuart Staples did his 1st solo album, which was also pretty damn good. then Dickon left the band and took all the creativity with him. Stuart's second solo album was absolutely forgettable, and the last two Tindersticks have followed that trend. no more orchestral flourishes, only occasional horns, all songs the same jolly tempo...it's like a Bob Dylan coverband

very sad. :tears:

From which three bands does Tindersticks derive? I've never heard of them, but it's inevitable. Look, it sucks being old and having an encyclopedic memory for these things. It really does take a lot of the fun out of things. You have to give us oldsters a break, because I, for one, am never going to be punched in the gut by musical greatness again (nor by love, it seems) and that's a harsh reality to apply your wrinkle cream to each night.

How sad :tears:. I want to be suprised and impressed my whole life.

Hmmm not too impressed after the first listen. I loved Antidotes. Sounds a little over-earnest and attempting a maturer (boring) sound.

I'll try and get excited about it after 8 listens. The video doesn't help

Hmmm not too impressed after the first listen. I loved Antidotes. Sounds a little over-earnest and attempting a maturer (boring) sound.

I'll try and get excited about it after 8 listens. The video doesn't help

it's not my favorite either, but the other new songs performed live are definitely old school Foals. Alabaster in particular:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom