Fox5NY: Morrissey, Exclusive Performance & Interview (October 20, 2023)

UPDATE October 20:

"Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings" on "Good Day New York / Fox5NY - Winkin’ Long / YouTube. Link posted by TheSmiths_1985.

Interview with Rosanna Scotto now on Fox5NY and YouTube:

From MarcoD71 (mp4 download available):

Audio link and screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

full

Posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The absolutely worst song he could pick.

“Look at me, I am no longer relevant, please look at me..!”

He deserves how his career is crashing like the Hindenburg. He brought it all upon himself.

Capitol have him by the balls because they could start leaking more messages. He should cut his loses and buy the album back. I would self release personally, then he can act like he's sticking it to "The Man".

by the balls, leaking, self release personally, sticking it to "The Man". Ooh, matron! Did you use to work on the Carry On films?!

'They [Capitol] are now prepared to give it back to me for a certain price'.
So is he suggesting that this wasn't previously the case? And that Capitol's position has now changed?
Does this explain Moz Central posting all those comments about the fate of Bonfire being unknown?
I don't think it's a new position from Capitol. I think it's the best thing he can say now that all the info has been made public. I think "held hostage" meant remove or fix Veronica or we can't release the album. Probably once it was clear Morrissey wouldn't budge they offered him a buyback. The idea that Capitol bought BOT just to shut it down was always ridiculous.

Or he's been caught out lying and is acting like Capitol just recently offered to sell the album back to him. Who knows.
I just made a similar comment I think this is 100% what it is. Otherwise, he just looks foolish for all of the comments he's made about Capitol over the last year. Better to say now they are willing to sell it back. At least this way he can save some face.

I just made a similar comment I think this is 100% what it is. Otherwise, he just looks foolish for all of the comments he's made about Capitol over the last year. Better to say now they are willing to sell it back. At least this way he can save some face.
Yeah, I think Capitol have saved him from himself. At least he gets the album back and we don't have to listen to these censorship lies for the next decade.

Fox isn't a great brand.

Him being up in the morning isn't a great time.

War brings out the worst in people so he might slip through it in the same position he was before - but it's sad that a decade of mismanagement has done this.
He was invited on TV to sing to (millions of) people and you're somehow saying it's a bad thing?

He was invited on TV to sing to (millions of) people and you're somehow saying it's a bad thing?

Just watched it again, musical performance was good (not sure about the sunglasses) and the interview was a great reminder of when he's on form he's really charming and witty, he needs to try and rid himself of the bitter streak that we tend to see too often nowadays.

Or he's been caught out lying and is acting like Capitol just recently offered to sell the album back to him. Who knows.
Yes, it did have a feel of 'damage limitation'. The one good thing though - after today we are probably a little bit closer to hearing the studio version of Bonfire, rather than further away. Bonfire has now had one of the best advertising campaigns of any album in recent history.

Just watched it again, musical performance was good (not sure about the sunglasses) and the interview was a great reminder of when he's on form he's really charming and witty, he needs to try and rid himself of the bitter streak that we tend to see too often nowadays.
I agree. I expected the interviewer to be pretty vacuous but I was pleasantly surprised that the questions were half decent and Morrissey interacted with her well. Better than I expected.

I think he needs a wee diet and some fashion advice though.

The TV station is probably full of homophobes from the Madstock crowd, 30+ years ago. They’ve waited all this time. They’ve planted one of their own as his tour manager.
In fact, you might not realise it, but every single contributor here (apart from Nerak Malarkey) has been infiltrated by hard right fascist pigs.

Isolating himself like he's done the past few years and only doing "interviews" with SER and FiDo has not helped him. Maybe this is a sign he's getting that now?

I think there is some mutual attraction there ;]
BookishBoy referred to her family links to the NY mob in a post.

Maybe at one of his upcoming gigs, he'll dedicate "Last of the international playboys" to her.

"Anthony Scotto, do you know my name".

I think that interview is the most unintentionally or intentionally funny thing he has been involved in a long time

I used to think that in order to facilitate substantive conversations, having interviews with people who really know the current state of his discography band lineup, the unreleased songs,all of it, would be the way to go. But then you might get sycophantic "fan" press as frequently comes across in interviews with Sam or Fiona.

Having somebody generally aware of who the guy is, working from basic preproduction notes can give us exactly what we got here, something light not particularly penetrative, something that still manages to be at least somewhat informative and not as dumb or confrontational as some of us may have reasonably feared

Last edited:

Honestly, for this type of morning chat format, it was very tame by his standards. The only real needle-being-yanked-off-the-record moment was the assassination mention. But it wouldn't be a Morrissey interview without a bit of fabulist oppression. I do confess: the tie distracted me a lot.

This song has never advanced "so-so" for me - and the atrocious sound mix did this rendition no favors.

I thought the delectable presenter/interviewer (Rosanna Scotto) was superb, & was clearly taken by 'this charming man', Moz. Well done to Moz on getting his face back out there, nice to see. Only criticism: backing vocals on that performance of SETTR were awful. Ditch them, not needed.

Such a cute interview! I loved the enthusiasm the lady had about Moz (the way she laughed about We Hate It! So adorable) and how sweet she was. Wonderful!

Also Moz saying he's pathetically humble:
View attachment 96570
There are versions of this where he adds "in a way" which does soften it a bit. I have just spent five minutes searching for it, five minutes of my life that I won't get back.

Yeah, Acton - a TV show or station can be a bad or unusual fit - which is why you get Brooklyn Vegan's snarky tone, even though they liked it:

Morrissey begins his four night stay at NYC’s United Palace on Saturday, and this morning he stopped by one of the few places who probably still welcome him and won’t ask anything too difficult, FOX 5’s Good Day New York, to hype up the shows.

Back
Top Bottom