Fretsore Records / YouTube: Dana Gillespie - Spent The Day In Bed (Official video)

I am happy it's/he's getting some well deserved attention but she can't sing. It's more like talking. It's pretty cringe, I'm not going to lie.

It seems, from what I've read, that she's famous for sleeping around with rock stars and producing more albums than anyone could ever produce in a lifetime. Unless they are sub-standard that is. Sounds like she slept her way into her records being produced rather than anything else. I appreciate talent when I see it, even if it isn't for me. But this is not it.

Each to their own, though. She's clearly having fun and not hurting anyone so long may she continue for those who do listen to her.

It’s a great song: pure pop (as opposed to rock) with an acerbic edge—the kind of track I’d usually associate with The Pet Shop Boys. It was his best single since Irish Blood, for my money.

this (y)

Yep, and I can see the comparison. It’s a style and she nails it! She’d be a great opener for the next shows he does in Britain.

I've never taken it literally.

I view it as more of an aesthetic.

Laying in bed for the day being only one part of that.

Taken it literally? The song is about spending the day in bed. It's not exactly ambiguous or even very poetic, metaphorical, or whatever.

Not to be negative, but hearing the song without Morrissey's voice kind of made me realize it's...not a very good song. Take away his performance and attitude and you have a very repetitive, not very melodically interesting work.

I am happy it's/he's getting some well deserved attention but she can't sing. It's more like talking. It's pretty cringe, I'm not going to lie.

It seems, from what I've read, that she's famous for sleeping around with rock stars and producing more albums than anyone could ever produce in a lifetime. Unless they are sub-standard that is. Sounds like she slept her way into her records being produced rather than anything else. I appreciate talent when I see it, even if it isn't for me. But this is not it.

Each to their own, though. She's clearly having fun and not hurting anyone so long may she continue for those who do listen to her.
Aha!! I told them that his voice is libidinous... Sings.. .. Like I want sex, sex, sex, a voice I don't like at all. But at least it takes Moz into account!

yep, not a smart move on Alain’s part.

Though, I guess he’s satisfied(?) with his own solo career anyway.
Why? He just said that this was his favorite single post 2004. Why is that so bad?

Aha!! I told them that his voice is libidinous... Sings.. .. Like I want sex, sex, sex, a voice I don't like at all. But at least it takes Moz into account!
Yeh, she's nothing more than a wealthy groupie who got lucky, imo. The fact that she's proud of sleeping with loads of rock stars doesn't exactly make her an endearing figure.

Last edited:
Taken it literally? The song is about spending the day in bed. It's not exactly ambiguous or even very poetic, metaphorical, or whatever.

Not to be negative, but hearing the song without Morrissey's voice kind of made me realize it's...not a very good song. Take away his performance and attitude and you have a very repetitive, not very melodically interesting work.

The way I see it is that the song title and some of the lyrics are about spending the day in bed.

But to me, the rest of the song (and the main message) is about rejecting conventional notions of society - living life on your own terms, having your own views (whether or not they are considered correct or 'legal' by others), and spending time in a way you see fit.... opting out of the humdrum/mundane..... systemic media/government/advertisement/workplace/corporate brainwashing (all the things designed to keep us in our place).....

Again, he reassures me that it's okay to be an outsider and to create one's own counter-reality outside of what others expect of you.... and ultimately that you can (and should) be kind to yourself despite your relatively short life's trials and tribulations (and also in spite of how the world tells us we should all feel - which is usually depressed, anxious, inadequate and frightened)

Spending the day in bed is just one way you can turn away from all of the world's negativity. In Reel Around The Fountain, when he says take me to the haven of your bed, do you think he means just take me to your bed? To me, that describes the bed as a refuge from the horrors of existence - where life can be lived and experienced differently. I see it as linking into certain other romantic notions. And it's something that can obviously be done outside of the bed, by living defiantly (if you so choose)

If you just want to hear 'Spent The Day In Bed', that's up to you.... (you can please yourself) :)

Last edited:
The way I see it is that the song title and some of the lyrics are about spending the day in bed.

But to me, the rest of the lyrics (and the main message) is about rejecting conventional notions of society - living life on your own terms, having your own views and spending time in a way you see fit.... opting out of the humdrum/mundane..... systemic media/government/advertisement brainwashing..... and ultimately being kind to yourself despite your relatively short life's trials and tribulations.

If you just want to hear 'Spent The Day In Bed', that's up to you.
Yeh, it's another outsider song which is deeper than it seems initially.

He's once again telling us to do all the things you listed in your post rather than conform to societal expectations and be absolutely miserable.

Yeh, she's nothing more than a wealthy groupie who got lucky, imo. The fact that she's proud of sleeping with loads of rock stars doesn't exactly endear me to her.

We should be grateful for all the sacrifices groupies have made throughout the history of rock n roll!
It ain’t easy! Just imagine your record collection without them! ;)

Now I’m not condoning such behavior, but let’s not forget that old expression .. ‘all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy’ and those musicians that we find so endearing, needed those groupies as much as those groupies needed rockstars.
So where does that leave us? 🙃

Anyway I agree with you! let’s burn our record collection and beg the heavens for forgiveness! :pray:

the shining GIF

‘Satisfaction, satisfaction
Keep me satisfied
I've got the love of a Hoochie Koochie woman
She calling from inside…’

with backing vocals by the very talented Dana Gillespie!

😙

We should be grateful for all the sacrifices groupies have made throughout the history of rock n roll!
It ain’t easy! Just imagine your record collection without them! ;)

Now I’m not condoning such behavior, but let’s not forget that old expression .. ‘all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy’ and those musicians that we find so endearing, needed those groupies as much as those groupies needed rockstars.
So where does that leave us? 🙃

Anyway I agree with you! let’s burn our record collection and beg the heavens for forgiveness! :pray:

the shining GIF

‘Satisfaction, satisfaction
Keep me satisfied
I've got the love of a Hoochie Koochie woman
She calling from inside…’

with backing vocals by the very talented Dana Gillespie!

😙

There is maybe some truth to that but I cannot respect people who have that little self respect. There are other ways to not be dull.

She sounds better here than on STDIB.

There is maybe some truth to that but I cannot respect people who have that little self respect. There are other ways to not be dull.

She sounds better here than on STDIB.

What makes you think she has little respect for herself?

And what of your favorite rockstars? Will you be able to enjoy those records knowing they have so little respect for themselves to behave in the way the do, have done?

I’m not arguing here, I just think we need to see the bigger picture. And question our judgment and conclusions of people we don’t know, and their life decisions.

What makes you think she has little respect for herself?

And what of your favorite rockstars? Will you be able to enjoy those records knowing they
have so little respect for themselves to behave in the way the do, have done?

I’m not arguing here, I just think we need to see the bigger picture. And question our judgment and conclusions of people we don’t know and their life decisions.
I just think if you bed hop like she did when she was younger you cannot have much self respect.

I don't agree with rockstars doing it either. I still listen to them. Just like I would still listen to Gillespie if I liked her music.

Back
Top Bottom