George Clooney calls for hotel boycott over Brunei LGBT death penalty

A

Anonymous

"(CNN)Film star George Clooney has called for a boycott of nine hotels because of their links to Brunei, where homosexual acts will from next week be punishable by death.

In an opinion piece written for Deadline, Clooney decried Brunei's announcement that from April 3 the country will stone or whip to death citizens caught committing adultery or having gay sex.
"Let that sink in. In the onslaught of news where we see the world backsliding into authoritarianism this stands alone," Clooney said."

More info: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/29/asia/george-clooney-brunei-lgbt-intl/index.html

I support this boycott.

For a second I thought this was the title of a new Morrissey song...

Join me in boycotting mink coats and blood diamonds, also.
Absolutely brother, I shall abstain from both until all farmed mink is banned, the people of Sierra Leone are freed, or until the Euro millions cheque clears.

LGBTQ+ people from Brunei are now at risk of being killed for their sexualities and gender identities, undoubtedly leading many to flee the country and fear for their lives. Under the leadership of the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei, laws are being introduced which make anal sex, rape, robbery and adultery offences punishable by death. Lesbian sex will be punishable by 40 strokes of the cane and/or a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail (1).

In 1993 the University of Oxford granted Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah an Honorary Degree of Civil Law by diploma. Unlike the University of Aberdeen and King's College London, the University of Oxford have refused to consider rescinding this honour (2). This is unacceptable.

Through refusing to rescind the Sultan's Honorary Degree, the University of Oxford indicates that it is content for its name to be tied to human rights abuses and the persecution of LGBTQ+ people. As a world renowned institution, the University should not be linked such legislation and must take a clear stance in opposition to the Sultan's actions.

It is not enough to simply support "international condemnation" of Brunei's new penal code and "back the United Nation's call to stop the code entering into force", as this requires no action by the University itself (3). It is time for the University to take responsibility for its links to governments which oppose basic human rights and freedoms. It is time that the University recognise that its refusal to take concrete action makes LGBTQ+ students and staff members feel that their institution will never prioritise their rights on a global scale.

We therefore call on the University of Oxford to rescind the Honorary Degree of Civil Law by diploma conferred on Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah in 1993, as a statement of support for LGBTQ+ people worldwide.

https://www.change.org/p/university...9wCjLivmwHya0IKTEErTlTKPnES3UR6V2egIjbTKc79Bk

pic186273.jpg

Back
Top Bottom