"'Girlfriend In A Coma' is an AIDS song - Rolling Stone article by Armond White

The Smiths: The Open Secret of 'Girlfriend in a Coma' - Rolling Stone
How a unique alternative-rock tune became the Smiths' most controversial song
By Armond White

Excerpt:

"It's a new kind of love song, stranger – and more strangely affecting – than most because it zeroes in on the complex vagaries of love: Love equal to friendship; friendship equal to love. This understanding of human relations is more advanced than everyday pop. Morrissey opens up pop heterosexual clichés – queers them – with an open mind and kind-heartedness that reveals the song's true meaning, its open secret. Girlfriend in a Coma" is an AIDS song. It's a response to the crisis that took the lives and broke the hearts of so many friends and lovers – the holocaust of the 1980s. In contradistinction to Elvis Costello's notion that Morrissey could not complete an introductory thought, the song's terse, subtle elegance goes on to address a worldwide trauma."

Last edited by a moderator:
If the article had suggested that the song was about the suicide attempt of a friend, reactions would have been a lot more measured like yeah maybe, but we just don't know for sure. But because it suggests Morrissey was inspired by the AIDS epidemic, reactions range from "journalists trying destroy his reputation" to "shit-stirring journalism". The stigma is alive and well.

If morrissey was inspired by the aids crisis then he probably wouldnt have made the song so funny I'm guessing. How anyone could imagine a song about a girlfriend in a coma to in actuality be about gay men with aids is beyond me. If you wanna say you personally imagine the song that way fine but to state that was his inspiration is baseless reporting. I'm much more inclined to think as marr said that it was just a humorous song based around the inversion of a concept used on records they loved

I don't think there is anything wrong interpreting songs how you want, but it's irresponsible to suggest THIS is what Morrissey meant by the song -- when there's no real evidence to support it.

To me it was always just a clever and really funny take on relationships. Morrissey has written a lot about men and women who are unhappy being together. And sometimes it's because these unions happened because of societal pressure when in fact the man in the relationship is miserable because he's into other men. Which I have always thought was a reflection of Morrissey's own feelings. "Girlfriend in a Coma" could be operating on that level. Especially with the lines, "do you really think she'll pull through?" As if the narrator is sort of hoping she won't pull through because if she does, then his misery continues.

Other times the unhappiness stems from just settling for a not very good person, such as in "William, It Was Really Nothing"

I don't think there are enough clues in "Girlfriend in a Coma" to know what is exactly happening, but I think that keeps it a universal theme. Morrissey has spoken about writing from a universal perspective before; there are actual facts and statements on record to support that notion.

But he was right.
He never denied he did say that. And he didn't ask them to retract that.
But that wasn't only in England.
And now we have to deal with the negative sides of opening the floodgates everywhere.
Maybe there are some positive sides too as "experts" claim?
So what was the problem and why are did you mention the NME?
They printed what he said.
He didn't deny it.
They didn't retract it.
So what did the NME do wrong?

It's Morrissey's fault for making those kinds of statements and the reason he only communicates with journalists through email is because it gives him some time to think about what he is going to say and how he is going to say it. Otherwise he says "what we all say in private," and then wants to deny the implications of what he said.
In all that business about the NME he never denied it, he never said they edited his words. He didn't like the implications they drew but those are the implications anyone would draw.

4221396001_3999849903001_JKTEST.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything wrong interpreting songs how you want, but it's irresponsible to suggest THIS is what Morrissey meant by the song -- when there's no real evidence to support it.

To me it was always just a clever and really funny take on relationships. Morrissey has written a lot about men and women who are unhappy being together. And sometimes it's because these unions happened because of societal pressure when in fact the man in the relationship is miserable because he's into other men. Which I have always thought was a reflection of Morrissey's own feelings. "Girlfriend in a Coma" could be operating on that level. Especially with the lines, "do you really think she'll pull through?" As if the narrator is sort of hoping she won't pull through because if she does, then his misery continues.

Other times the unhappiness stems from just settling for a not very good person, such as in "William, It Was Really Nothing"

I don't think there are enough clues in "Girlfriend in a Coma" to know what is exactly happening, but I think that keeps it a universal theme. Morrissey has spoken about writing from a universal perspective before; there are actual facts and statements on record to support that notion.
I think it might have been somewhat inspired by the Karen Ann Quinlan case. It was a very famous case.
"Ten years ago,(1975) Miss Quinlan fell into a coma after a evening during which she took tranquilizers and drank alcoholic beverages. A year later, she was taken off a respirator that was helping her to breathe, an action that culminated a case of immense complexity and high drama that absorbed national emotion and debate. Ordinary people found themselves wrestling with fundamental questions of life and death, as medical and legal issues blended into sociology and theology."

Blood hell. Reckon it was about his girlfriend at the time Belinda Carlisle and it ended with an ugly break up on Redondo Beach. Will the gay connotations ever end.

If the article had suggested that the song was about the suicide attempt of a friend, reactions would have been a lot more measured like yeah maybe, but we just don't know for sure. But because it suggests Morrissey was inspired by the AIDS epidemic, reactions range from "journalists trying destroy his reputation" to "shit-stirring journalism". The stigma is alive and well.
The article doesn't "suggest." It makes a statement that sounds as if they had evidence and a confirmation. Let me help you here. If you have to carefully choose your words and misstate the facts your argument might be built on a really shaky foundation.
I think that's why people are not "measured," and if you've been paying attention no response to any article about Morrissey is ever calm and reasonable.
The writer could just as easily say that "Death Of A Disco Dancer" was about AIDS, except that the "love, peace, and harmony" section suggests the death is from violence.
People tend to feel a personal connection with Morrissey's lyrics and anything he says is debated endlessly. It's no surprise that an interpretation of a decades old song that people have a history with inspires some angry and dismissive replies.
I'm surprised he didn't say that AIDS is bad but nothing compared to the horrors of McDonald's.
You just want to chastise people for having an opinion about an opinion. People like you don't do any favors to any cause. If you wanted to actually help get rid of some stigma you believe is associated with AIDS there are probably ways you could do that but not by trying to tell everyone how horrible and stupid they are when your argument is clearly based on hypotheticals and an apparently delusional view of the typical discussion and reaction to any journalism about Morrissey.

Blood hell. Reckon it was about his girlfriend at the time Belinda Carlisle and it ended with an ugly break up on Redondo Beach. Will the gay connotations ever end.
FOUND YOU!!! YAH!!!! MISSED YOU, AZTEC!!!!! Always having all the bloddy fun without me

Yeah, anyway, I don't know anything about all you other MozSolo Wackers around here, but I bloddy-cryke reckon The Gay Connotations are my favorite new band that never was. YAH! !!!

Rollings Stone have asked Mark Simpson to write about The Smiths and now they feature some clown saying Girlfriend in a coma is about aids, this is paper are queering the pitch , don't you think . Remember this mag is the very one which tired to say Morrissey said he was gay .

Rollings Stone have asked Mark Simpson to write about The Smiths and now they feature some clown saying Girlfriend in a coma is about aids, this is paper are queering the pitch , don't you think . Remember this mag is the very one which tired to say Morrissey said he was gay .

As long as those weaselly Rolling Stone f***ers don't try and steal my idea, and say he was ever the lead singer in The Gay Connotations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as those weaselly Rolling Stone f***ers don't try and steal my idea, and say he was ever the lead singer in The Gay Connotations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I just know, you are teasing Aztec here! :)

I know, I just know, you are teasing Aztec here! :)

I mean, I'm mostly just laughing at my own joke and teasing the Anon above, a bit. But Aztec is definitely allowed to crack smile too, if he wants to.

I <3 Aztec!! Just like my byline thing says! I only have eyes for AztecCamera!!! :)

How's your little bubble, Quando Quando Quando? Can you see me yet??? How do I look in this outfit??!! :dancers: :dancers: :dancers:

I mean, I'm mostly just laughing at my own joke and teasing the Anon above, a bit. But Aztec is definitely allowed to crack smile too, if he wants to.

I <3 Aztec!! Just like my byline thing says! I only have eyes for AztecCamera!!! :)

How's your little bubble, Quando Quando Quando? Can you see me yet??? How do I look in this outfit??!! :dancers: :dancers: :dancers:

The bubble has now the size of a lucifer's striking end. :)
I can see you very clearly in this amazing outfit and you look bloody, f***ing gorgeous in it. :love:

The bubble has now the size of a lucifer's striking end. :)
I can see you very clearly in this amazing outfit and you look bloody, f***ing gorgeous in it. :love:

LOL, Quando!! Calm down! But thank you for noticing my Vegas showgirl costume and my bunny ears. This emoji you see, is mine!! I commissioned it, and they made it for me especially. So this is me, right now. Doing high kicks just for you!!! In my bloody gorgeous outfit!! ENJOY!! :dancers: :dancers: :dancers:

LOL, Quando!! Calm down! But thank you for noticing my Vegas showgirl costume and my bunny ears. This emoji you see, is mine!! I commissioned it, and they made it for me especially. So this is me, right now. Doing high kicks just for you!!! In my bloody gorgeous outfit!! ENJOY!! :dancers: :dancers: :dancers:

Yes, I need to calm down before I get a heart attack. :squiffy:
(Wipes sweat from his forehead), phew!
I have to get a glass of water.

I like your emoij and the idea you commissioned it and had it made especially for you. ;)

There is something attractive in the use of emoijs and smiley's as it is a kind of communication without words or give them a different meaning!

But it could lead to miscommunication as well. :eek:
Ah, well never mind, then there is something to clear up again and the communication flows like water!
Cheerio Scanty! :thumb:

Wow! Hilarious nonsense. The only thing 'queer' about Morrissey is how he thought he'd get away with his attempts to appropriate Queer Culture as part of his forlorn failed career project aiming to follow in Bowie's foot-steps to global, religious Fame. Either Morrissey is a heterosexual cultural tourist or he's a saddo closet case. Neither is a good look.

There's absolutely nothing in the lyrics to support this interpretation. Once again we see the 'myth of Morrissey' in action where delusional people project their fantasies onto his insipid silly lyrics. As for the snobbery of 'more advanced than everyday pop', that's what the Cult clings to in the wreckage, the idea that smart-arse lyrics elevate a popular song to Art. Both the writer of the song and this 'journalist' belong in Pseud's Corner. A harmless song with a novel radio-irritant title. That's it. It was mildly amusing then, now it's just boring and deserves to be consigned to the land-fill alongside almost everything else produced by The Smiths and The Morrissey Solo-Smiths Tribute Bands.

BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom