Hated for Loving

The 'anonymous call' must have been along the lines of "Oi Moz! You f***in' bender!" :D

Back on topic - it's the best tune on Vauxhall - one of Alain's very best. Superb stuff.

Peter

Oooooooh, controversy at every corner :)

Solid track as it is, its outdone by at least 3 others on the album, in my impassioned yet worthless opinion :)

Hard to tell Peter.
Vauxhall is full of great tunes, my personal favourites are Now My Heart Is Full and Speedway.

Agreed,

My order of preference for Vauxhall...

1)Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning.
2)Speedway
3)Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
4) Hold Onto Your Friends
5)Used To Be A Sweet Boy

I am hated for loving, well down, though an excellent track none the less.
If Billy Bud had been dismantled and buried far far away from Morrisseys back catalogue I'd have been happier - not at all a fan of that one.

"Poison pen" means a vile or mean letter, often anonymously written.

"Brick in the small of the back" means that literally, or any hit from behind (when the victim didn't see it coming.)

But this is far too logical to make sense. :crazy:

When Morrissey sings these words it gives me chills.

"Poison pen" means a vile or mean letter, often anonymously written.

"Brick in the small of the back" means that literally, or any hit from behind (when the victim didn't see it coming.)

Yes, I agree with this. Especially if he is referring to blackmail, which was once common with homosexuals.

Yes, I agree with this. Especially if he is referring to blackmail, which was once common with homosexuals.
do you know the film victim from 1961(with dirk bogarde)?
A prominent lawyer goes after a blackmailer who threatens gay men with exposure (homosexual acts still being illegal). But he's gay himself(...)

moz likes the filmashe mentiones it in a mag...

from passions
* The line "Nature played me a dirty trick" heard in this film was very likely the inspiration for the similar one in the Smiths song "Pretty Girls Make Graves".
* This film was mentioned by Morrissey as one of his favourites in article "Headful Of Heroes: Back Row" printed in the 16 September 1989 issue of the NME.

do you know the film victim from 1961(with dirk bogarde)?
A prominent lawyer goes after a blackmailer who threatens gay men with exposure (homosexual acts still being illegal). But he's gay himself(...)

moz likes the filmashe mentiones it in a mag...

from passions
* The line "Nature played me a dirty trick" heard in this film was very likely the inspiration for the similar one in the Smiths song "Pretty Girls Make Graves".
* This film was mentioned by Morrissey as one of his favourites in article "Headful Of Heroes: Back Row" printed in the 16 September 1989 issue of the NME.

I guess with Morrissey, all roads lead to Dirk Bogarde. :lbf:

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself will always be my favourite track on Vauxhall & I, it could be played so many different ways (apparently it started off in the style of Your Arsenal)

Billy Budd is great but I don't know why they felt the need to water it down quite so much. The studio version had no ooomph!

Will you please all stop it. This is as bad as the Morrissey sexuality thread. It's just so boring, all this pseudo analytical stuff :rolleyes:

OK, I am going to be controversial in the extreme

Morrissey knows that the gift he has involves the healing of the soul

He knows he is never going to get there. He will always get a kick in the small of the back again just for doing what comes naturally

OK controversial

Well come n 'ave a go if yer think yer 'ard enuf

OK, I am going to be controversial in the extreme

Morrissey knows that the gift he has involves the healing of the soul

He knows he is never going to get there. He will always get a kick in the small of the back again just for doing what comes naturally

Which is the controversial part of your post?

Stupidityphobia?

Just for the record, the above comment was not meant in a serious way.
It was a flippant response to the silly interpretations people were coming up with...

I thought it would be obvious that this is not my interpretation of the lyrics, but then again some people here are beyond :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom