How should Morrissey tour in the future, if at all?

How should Morrissey conduct tours in the future?

• With the same punishing schedule. More chances to miss him but more chances to see him!

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • He should never play more than two nights in a row and cut down total number of tour stops.

Votes: 41 77.4%
  • He should only hit major tour stops/festivals.

• He should set up permanent residency somewhere, Vegas style!

• He should quit touring and just record albums.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should retire, full stop.

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
Emotions are running very high, marbled with a lot of anger, frustration, concern and yes, sympathy. The ratio of cancelled to played shows is higher than for any previous tour now, is that right? (The number of cancelled shows is the highest ever, is that also right?)

Ignoring the should-he-or-shouldn't-he-apologize aspect for a moment, how do you think Morrissey should tour in the future?

EDIT: was supposed to be a poll attached but I forgot to tick the stupid little box. Please erase this thread.

Last edited:
How should Morrissey tour in the future?

Emotions are running very high, marbled with a lot of anger, frustration, concern and yes, sympathy. The ratio of cancelled to played shows is higher than for any previous tour now, is that right? (The number of cancelled shows is the highest ever, is that also right?)

Ignoring the should-he-or-shouldn't-he-apologize aspect for a moment, how do you think Morrissey should tour in the future?

EDIT: Now it said one of my poll options was too long but the board posted it anyway...Attempt #3 coming up. Sorry mods.

How should Morrissey conduct tours in the future?

Re: How should Morrissey conduct tours in the future?

Awright, who voted for major stops/festivals only? :p

I'm spoilt, and I don't want Moz to stop doing shows in the provincial towns you jog round. He often seems to enjoy these small shows a lot more too. But I agree he needs to dramatically cut down on the number of shows he does within a certain span of time.

He probably needs to take a month off and rest. He could probably use some occupational therapy to learn how to avoid straining his vocal cords (which can result in nodules) if indeed he suffers from nodules on his vocal cords.

He should just simply not schedule shows if he cant make them. I dont know what category that falls under.

It was tricky to word -- it wasn't meant to sound like the smaller shows aren't important (indeed, they can be a lot better) but should he "save" the vocal cords for big shows that fit in more people? Big shows means major cities etc.

I honestly think if he would bring a Doctor (Feelgood?) with him on tour to diagnose/medicate/advise he'd be a whole lot better off. It's amazing to me that Morrissey "does nothing" to take care of his priceless asset (that means the cords, frinkers!) His voice is better than ever when it's on, but it's becoming more vulnerable.

Awright, who voted for major stops/festivals only? :p

I'm spoilt, and I don't want Moz to stop doing shows in the provincial towns you jog round. He often seems to enjoy these small shows a lot more too. But I agree he needs to dramatically cut down on the number of shows he does within a certain span of time.

He probably needs to take a month off and rest. He could probably use some occupational therapy to learn how to avoid straining his vocal cords (which can result in nodules) if indeed he suffers from nodules on his vocal cords.

You mean a residency? It's always a bit of a joke in the entertainment world, but Morrissey has spent so much of his life going to people, why not let them come to him, like Mecca?

thank you for including my answer to this question for about a decade now King Leer :thumb:

I honestly think if he would bring a Doctor (Feelgood?) with him on tour to diagnose/medicate/advise he'd be a whole lot better off. It's amazing to me that Morrissey "does nothing" to take care of his priceless asset (that means the cords, frinkers!) His voice is better than ever when it's on, but it's becoming more vulnerable.

I'll do it. I may not be a doctor, but I have a Master's Degree, IN SIGNS! :p

In the future when all's not well

When it's on, it's really ON, yeah! I've noted to anyone would within radius of my blather that though Morrissey's no longer the pale thin Adonis he once was, his voice has become richer and finer as he aged...until this year. :(

Not that He'd want to employ me per se (conversely, not that I'd want to work for Him), in a couple years I will be licensed by my state to make diagnoses and prescribe Schedule II-V droogs independently.

"Class A, Class B
Is that the only chemistry
Between us?" -- Suede

It's amazing to me that Morrissey "does nothing" to take care of his priceless asset (that means the cords, frinkers!) His voice is better than ever when it's on, but it's becoming more vulnerable.

This just boggles my mind. I appreciate Morrissey's devotion to the spirit of DIY, but this borders on mental illness.

His current singing style, which really is "grander" than ever, is clearly pushing his range; he admits that much. Couple that with the aggressive, noisy band he currently tours with, and you have a recipe for vocal failure.

I think he simply refuses to acknowledge his own limits. That can be seen as recklessly romantic, or self-destructive. I'm going with the latter.

Morrissey's voice is priceless. If the talk of vocal nodes is true (and I'm inclined to think it is), then he's destroying one of the greatest voices in pop music right before our eyes (and ears). Very sad.

His voice is a world-wide treasure (and it is the very core of his Frinkiness). It's getting richer and more powerful with age and I, for one, want more....but at whatever pace is best for him.

He must take care of his voice - we'd all be lost without it.

This tour schedule LOOKS exhausting, I can't imagine what it's like to live it.

spo005197.jpg

"Mother always told me that singing was a safer job." Ha!

i think maybe still keep the smaller gigs BUT maybe split the concerts up by area E.G. Manchester-Leeds-Sheff-Newcastle etc The North... then a week off and do the Scotland. Then South Etc..... Maybe This might work but it only really started with the roundhouse shows which myself a victim of the cancelation, so i'm guessing it may be the age factor? Who knows?? But he has to keep the smaller venues( i wasnt meaning the cities i mentioned earlier) there highlights!

i think maybe still keep the smaller gigs BUT maybe split the concerts up by area E.G. Manchester-Leeds-Sheff-Newcastle etc The North... then a week off and do the Scotland. Then South Etc..... Maybe This might work but it only really started with the roundhouse shows which myself a victim of the cancelation, so i'm guessing it may be the age factor? Who knows?? But he has to keep the smaller venues( i wasnt meaning the cities i mentioned earlier) there highlights!

Where's the 'has anyone considered he is being pushed to do far too many dates by his promoters' option??

This latest tour has just proved too punishing for him, but, I imagine that the promoters have booked just about every venue in Christendom for him, as a) they know he'll sell out the majority of venues and b) £££££££££££££'s kerching in their till.

I know Moz likes to 'do' the smaller venues and that's great from a lot of people's perspective (incl mine).
More down time needed in between gigs, less zig-zag travelling up and down the country, i.e. yes, do 'the north' do 'Scotland', do 'the Sarf' and then have decent breaks in between.

Seems simple but logistically it's probably a pain in the arse.

wasnt the quarry tour bigger? plus he didnt do that many cancelations till roundhouse...

plus the uk tour for ROTT was pretty heptic.

Good (and sad) analysis. I didn't even think about how much louder the band itself is being a factor.

And try singing along to Years from beginning to end putting as much effort into the vocals as Morrissey -- it ain't easy! Something like Maladjusted or Kill Uncle is a cakewalk.

This just boggles my mind. I appreciate Morrissey's devotion to the spirit of DIY, but this borders on mental illness.

His current singing style, which really is "grander" than ever, is clearly pushing his range; he admits that much. Couple that with the aggressive, noisy band he currently tours with, and you have a recipe for vocal failure.

I think he simply refuses to acknowledge his own limits. That can be seen as recklessly romantic, or self-destructive. I'm going with the latter.

Morrissey's voice is priceless. If the talk of vocal nodes is true (and I'm inclined to think it is), then he's destroying one of the greatest voices in pop music right before our eyes (and ears). Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom