"I can't even remember what it was like being in The Smiths"

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
So I was searching around on YouTube for all things Marr and came across this odd little Cribs-era interview from last year. The thing that struck me was that his attitude to the Smiths seems to change daily - one day they're irrelevant ancient history and the next he's playing Smiths riffs, proud as punch. Make your mind up, man!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, but I can kind of understand why. If everyone was more interested in the illustrations I did in college than they were in the art that I create now, I'd get pretty sick of thinking about it. I might even say a few ugly things about those days. Deep down I'd have my favorite memories, but if that's all people wanted to talk to me about I might get hostile part of the time.

But yes, he does seem to waffle.

So I was searching around on YouTube for all things Marr and came across this odd little Cribs-era interview from last year. The thing that struck me was that his attitude to the Smiths seems to change daily - one day they're irrelevant ancient history and the next he's playing Smiths riffs, proud as punch. Make your mind up, man!

Don't get me wrong at all, I LOVE Marr, I really do. But he really angers me, sometimes. I still do not forgive him from walking away from The Smiths, to this very day. But that doesn't matter too much because everything worked out for Morrissey, which is who I was initially drawn to.

But for Marr to say, "I don't even remember what it was like being in that band." is both sensible and deplorable. THAT BAND MADE YOU and you can't recall that? That's a lie. The fact that he can't remember makes sense because he hasn't written anything on pedestal-level of The Smiths EVER. Perhaps there were a few Electronic songs with some Smiths-level riffs, but it really drives me nuts. But I suppose Marr is tired of being asked about The Smiths, so out of survival, he needs to slag them off. Same thing Morrissey did at KROQ when he said, "The Smiths is dead." The Smiths ARE dead, especially when you've got a NEW album to sell and sling.

But I love Marr, The Smiths. He just angers me with THIS attitude, sometimes. But he's a sweet boy/man.

Thanks for posting this. I would've never found it because I'm very lazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'd cut him some slack. It's just one comment and in many ways is no more flippant than a million similar things Morrissey has said. (I particularly love the one interview during the release of the TQID when the interviewer says, "Let's talk about the album." And Moz replies, "For heaven's sake, why?")

As for Marr, all one has to do is look at how these reporters presented the story -- a full minute and a half of the 2:40 interview is about the Smiths!

And we don't know what we didn't see... the comment could have come at the end of a long line of questions about his days in the Smiths. Exhausted and bored by the topic, he quips "I can't even remember."

In short, all very understandable..... a good find, but I don't think it's in any way definitive of how Marr views the legacy of the Smiths. And since he's working on an autobiography, I'm sure we'll eventually find out how much he does remember!

well, it was a long time ago, and the older you get the harder it is to remember anything :o
honestly? I do not remember anything before 95 really :straightface:
& Johnny Marr is like 9 years older than me, so I can see how he shifts when speaking of those times like the "80s" anymore :crazy:
at this point its all just remembering something imaginary :eek:

You're right, but I can kind of understand why. If everyone was more interested in the illustrations I did in college than they were in the art that I create now, I'd get pretty sick of thinking about it. I might even say a few ugly things about those days. Deep down I'd have my favorite memories, but if that's all people wanted to talk to me about I might get hostile part of the time.

alrightythen

I agree with this. I have never thought about this much, but if I was in his position I would feel like that too.

It's stupid. If he's considered as a 80's brilliant guitarist he owes it to The Smiths. He should be humble and pay a visit on his own past to thank you everything and everybody who had helped him to be a giant musician.

Well, he shouldn't be so flippant about being a Smith. He wouldn't be nearly as successeful today had he NOT been a Smith. I adore Johnny Marr, but truth is truth.

I don't think Johnny Marr is a particularly humble person.:D

He's very humble. Very. My husband once thanked him for all the beautiful music he's created and Johnny said, "Oh, thank you. It was my privilege though."

I think he can't remember because it has been so long since he stood in front of a substantial crowd who applauded his music.

(And no Kewpie, the Oscars don't count.)

It's just a comment. Clearly he remembers the Smiths. Johnny probably knows more about the early Rolling Stones than Keith Richards could remember, he's an obsessive music fan... for the Smiths, even more so because he was there. He's stated before that he has a near photographic memory of all the Smiths sessions he played.

Like my dad always said, "Ask the wrong question and you'll get the wrong answer!"

Yeah, gotta agree with those who say just let it go.
Johnny's in the middle of a fun tour, playing small gigs to enthusiastic crowds and for the 12,456th time he's asked about his band of 23 years ago, so he blew it off. All artists of true worth would rather talk about now than what they did decades ago -- even if it was empirically "better".

But you know when he writes that book I'm sure it'll be a very heartfelt account with detailed recollections and plenty of fond memories.

He'd better find a way to remember if he's snagged a book deal. His publisher won't be euphoric about chapter upon chapter about Electronic, Modest Mouse and those Wakefield gimps that he loafs about with.

Back
Top Bottom