"Introducing Morrissey" DVD review (8/10) by Alistair McKay in Uncut magazine

The Headmaster Ritual is one of my favorite Smiths songs, so needless to say when I saw it on the track list for “Who Put The M In Manchester?” I was super excited. I have to say I wasn’t let down in the least! I was actually very surprised to find that there were people out there who didn’t like it.

itssssss wayyyyy toooooo slowwwwww :lbf:

this is more like it

The Headmaster Ritual is one of my favorite Smiths songs, so needless to say when I saw it on the track list for “Who Put The M In Manchester?” I was super excited. I have to say I wasn’t let down in the least! I was actually very surprised to find that there were people out there who didn’t like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Same here and I think Gary Day does a pretty good bass line too.

Same here and I think Gary Day does a pretty good bass line too.

It was shit at the gig and shit on the film. Vocals out of kilter with the guitars probably, as Boz later admitted, due to the guitar parts being extraordinarily difficult to master

It was shit at the gig and shit on the film. Vocals out of kilter with the guitars probably, as Boz later admitted, due to the guitar parts being extraordinarily difficult to master

Yeah thanks for that.

In other news I have always loved this version that Radiohead did. Great video too.

Nice version by Radiohead!

itssssss wayyyyy toooooo slowwwwww :lbf:

this is more like it

Way faster in the old days, no question. But Moz's voice on 'M in Manchester' for 'Headmaster' is far superior to his voice on the Madrid concert. I like the way they slowed it down on 'M' as I didn't want a carbon copy of the album version. That's obviously just my opinion. I think also having the song on an official dvd concert is a great thing in itself.

Yeah Headmaster rips at this gig! Love it!

That's fair enough, I am glad you enjoy it. I just happen to think it sounds awfully 'off', as the post before mine about Boz remarking on the different guitar parts is a testament to. When you consider the rush of the album version, the live version performed on the Quarry tour does not compare - and I'm usually a massive proponent of Morrissey's solo band tackling Smiths songs.

I remember at the gig itself being confused as I didn't even recognise the song until Morrissey came in with the first line. It's just not good for me.

The concert is indeed excellent, so I would give it full marks for that. Zero marks for extras because there are none.

The days of releasing 56 minutes of a concert on DVD and expecting people to buy it are gone. Especially when everyone already has it on VHS 20 years ago or can easily watch it on the internet. How hard would it have been to add another concert or Vauxhall in-store signing footage or just about anything to make a fumbling nod towards value for money?
I already have this on VHS but unfortunately getting out the old video player is more hassle than it is worth. Still I'd rather just look at the video cover for 'Introducing Morrissey' than shell out cash for a different format of the same thing. And I don't care how good the picture transfer is. If it's that good release it on blu-ray with a bag full of bonus content and I might consider buying it.

Lazy re-issue, to say the least.

reissue - repackage , same as always

Back
Top Bottom