Is Morrissey trolling for headlines, politically driven... or coming apart at the seams?

Oh god - really its almost too tragic to be funny. It's always dangerous when beliefs based on fearful conspiracy theories became an ideology. Maybe just maybe he was having a laugh.

Steve has never written a song in his entire life. It's the biggest myth going in the music world - the idea that he was once in a band and then became a solo songwriter. Absolute nonsense. He cannot compose music, and he cannot play an instrument. He writes words and he sings. He is not a musician (his words). He most definitely does not have a talent for writing songs - writing lyrics and singing songs, yes. And, please, let's not have any nonsense about the 'vocal melody'.

"I don't think Moz has ever pretended to be a singer/songwriter and nobody has ever suggested he was one. Mental or not he is way beyond that. Most singer songwriters would kill for the skill he once had, maybe still has. Music is just a tool to get ideas/emotions over . Morrissey can do that with words and singing and like him or not he has had more ideas than most . He was/is able to take people on an emotional journey that very few other artists have managed.
There are millions of singer songwriters , nobody cares about them, what moz had was something special . Its beyond the singer/songwriter BS. That is why even now people still respect his talent. He wasn't a middle class "indie" person following a pre laid out plan , which is why Martin from Gene never stood a chance of being like his hero . He isn't an ex boy band member who showed his arse and made tea at smash hits to become famous, he hasn't had a team of advisers making his decisions. He doesn't pretend to write songs when really there are other singer song writers writing the music and words and out lining the vocal melody - he isn't a member of the Spice Girls or WestLife and he isn't Robbie Williams .
He is a true eccentric and that means people will get upset , he will let people down, he isn't cozy he isn't Jarvis .
He is very honest in as much as hes always said he is a words and voice man with entertainer thrown in. What Morrissey Managed with the Smiths and with his solo career , for a while, was to create a whole world and that is very rare in music , especially a world as honest and real and as beautiful as the smiths "

Here here or is it hear hear?

i think Morrissey just has always felt an obligation to say what he thinks or believes, as a matter of character. clearly what he says isn't popular, but I don't find it to be particularly drastic.
The kids call it being an "edgelord." The need to seem edgy, nihilistic, or adversarial just for shits and giggles.

Or in the olden days a blowhard
A blowhard to me just talks a lot of shit.
To be an edgelord you have to deliberately try and get under the skin and take joy in other people's negative reactions.
Either way you look at it, I don't think he's making anything easy on himself. In my personal life, nearly all of the Morrissey fans
I know have abandoned ship because they're embarrassed by/for him. The one holdout I know is turning Woody Allen levels of neurotic
trying to justify his recent behavior. I'll say this, all of us are keeping the t shirts in the closet.

To be an edgelord you have to deliberately try and get under the skin and take joy in other people's negative reactions.
Either way you look at it, I don't think he's making anything easy on himself. In my personal life, nearly all of the Morrissey fans
I know have abandoned ship because they're embarrassed by/for him. The one holdout I know is turning Woody Allen levels of neurotic
trying to justify his recent behavior. I'll say this, all of us are keeping the t shirts in the closet.

At this rate he"ll be left doing a tour consisting of gigs in Austria and Finland nursing homes; where the residents are too infirm or heavily medicated to leave the lounge.

At this rate he"ll be left doing a tour consisting of gigs in Austria and Finland nursing homes; where the residents are too infirm or heavily medicated to leave the lounge.
And the Finnish nursing homes can't recall whether anyone asked him to play in the first place.

Funny, I'm wearing a Morrissey & Marr t-shirt right now, but under a jacket and I can unzip it a little so that only Marr's head shows. I am definitely conscious and embarrassed of what it means now to support Morrissey - and I'm not even white!

Funny, I'm wearing a Morrissey & Marr t-shirt right now, but under a jacket and I can unzip it a little so that only Marr's head shows. I am definitely conscious and embarrassed of what it means now to support Morrissey - and I'm not even white!
All I can think of are all of the people who have tattooed portraits, his autograph, etc. That's a helluva permanent t-shirt.

All I can think of are all of the people who have tattooed portraits, his autograph, etc. That's a helluva permanent t-shirt.

I have seen people on Twitter lamenting this very thing! On the other hand, the news cycle is so short that people will forget who he is and what he said in a about a week. It's how the Republicans stay in power in the US.

Most famous people are neurotic, aren't they? Throw in age, and albums not selling like they used to...it just eats away at some people.

I'm a big fan of Paul Simon, but he's a 75 year old manchild and is worse than Moz for point-scoring. He's still obsessed with being short, and how Art Garfunkel went off to make a film without him and it was all so unfair. He is bothered about balding, and worried that people will think Garfunkel wrote Bridge Over Troubled Water, and nobody gives him enough credit, etc etc. Some people never get to a place where they are happy with what they have. It's not madness, just egotism fed by fame and yes-men.

You're right, he's always been teetering, but these public pronouncements seem to be accelerating and they don't look to me like the work of a man who's got his feet planted firmly on the ground. I imagine it's pretty much as you say, those who say no to him are excommunicated. It's a pretty unhealthy situation all round.

And yet, when he was making clearly suicidal pronouncements thirty years ago, this was someone acceptable... cuz reasons.

Of course Morrissey is a provocateur, but people can't handle anyone actually THINKING anymore and expressing their THOUGHTS, whether serious, flippant, jocular, or otherwise.

I don't care what Morrissey believes, ultimately, any more, really, than I care what Kanye West thinks. However, I do respect their ability to think aloud, even in public, and to test ideas, learn, explore, and grow as individuals.

To me, that's actually HEALTHY behaviour. To a society that is as sick and twisted as ours has become, it is seen as UNHINGED. Go figure!

I have seen people on Twitter lamenting this very thing! On the other hand, the news cycle is so short that people will forget who he is and what he said in a about a week. It's how the Republicans stay in power in the US.

How foolish you are. In fact, it's how the money-laundering, child-trafficking, Satan-worshipping tyrants stay in power. Politics is no longer about parties. Expand your thinking.
#QAnon #GreatAwakening #TheStorm

How foolish you are. In fact, it's how the money-laundering, child-trafficking, Satan-worshipping tyrants stay in power. Politics is no longer about parties. Expand your thinking.
#QAnon #GreatAwakening #TheStorm

You talk about thinking for yourself but then you just copypaste alt-right conspiracy nonsense like everyone else who reads the same websites you do.

I don't watch CNN. Even if I did it wouldn't change the fact that you're pushing right wing views and claiming it's not political.

Nothing I said here is right-wing, as far as I can tell. You need to be able to actually address what is said rather than just labelling things as meaningless buzzwords in order to dismiss them.

I'm not "pushing" anything except THINKING.

Nothing I said here is right-wing, as far as I can tell. You need to be able to actually address what is said rather than just labelling things as meaningless buzzwords in order to dismiss them.

I'm not "pushing" anything except THINKING.

I'm dismissing you because you're dishonest. I've argued with you before.

Back
Top Bottom