Votes: 35 31.5%
  • No, I've liked it since the beginning

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • No, I didn't particularly like it at the start, and still don't now

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Don't know, don't care

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Probably the best album I like by Morrissey, sounds more modern Smiths for some reason and I like it! I'd like to see Johnny Marr trying to play "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"

I haven't really given it much of a chance.
Listened to it when I got it, thought it was a bit poor.

Tried again a few days later, still disinterested, then again before seeing him live, not great.

Some good tracks, lots of filler.

Probably the best album I like by Morrissey, sounds more modern Smiths for some reason and I like it! I'd like to see Johnny Marr trying to play "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"

Oh Davie, you just opened Pandora's Box there.

Trying?

Do you mean that you'd like to hear his take on it, or are you suggesting it's a difficult song to play?

Don't want to argue. Just trying to understand what you mean.

It was. I was disappointed when I got it because I'd expected more. But after a few weeks it became my favourite Moz album. I can even stand 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' now, which, contrary to everyone else's opinion, I disliked intensely to begin with.

the horrible chugging guitar sound,
the ghastly operatic intro,
and in "I was driving my car. I crashed and broke my spine. So yes there are things worse in life than never being someone's sweetie", quite possibly the worst lyric of all time.

actually, when I first heard the song being played live on the You Tube, it sounded pretty good. the accordion was much higher in the mix, and I thankfully couldn't make out that lyric.
What part of that line do you not like? The choice of words, the way it flows?
I love it, though it did have a lot of personal resonance for me at the time... :o

shit then, shit now.

What part of that line do you not like? The choice of words, the way it flows?
I love it, though it did have a lot of personal resonance for me at the time... :o

I think the fact it sounds so affected, and Morrissey-by-numbers is my problem with it. It sounds awkward, doesn't seem to fit the flow of the song (when I first heard it in the YouTube, audience recording a couple of years ago I assumed it was a place-holder lyric until he thought of something better).

better than Ringleader

is that your idea of an endorsement?

i'd rather listen to my wife fart in her sleep for forty five minutes than be forced to endure the awfulness that is 'ringleader of the tormentors' ever again. i'd even put my head under the duvet and sniff.

is that your idea of an endorsement?

i'd rather listen to my wife fart in her sleep for forty five minutes than be forced to endure the awfulness that is 'ringleader of the tormentors' ever again. i'd even put my head under the duvet and sniff.

:lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

I happen to think That's How People Grow Up is the best track on this (fairly poor) album.

Morrissey has talked of a broken spine for many years now, so its neither new, nor particularly bad, and I quite like the bluntless of the 'sweetie' line. It works well for me.

Overall the album is pants compared to his early solo albums (up to AND INCLUDING SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR), whilst this hasn't grown on me, ROTT did grow on me significantly, though there is still far too much shit for it to be comfortable on both albums!

The fact remains, the last exceptionally wonderful track made by Moz is Let Me Kiss You.

it was my favourite Moz album from day one of release

It's really up there for me too. It's a mature record and extremely painful in parts, particularly "You Were Good In Your Time". That song plus Carol and Birthday make it my favorite next to Viva Hate.

I hated it at first and now it's my favorite album, but I think that's less to do with YOR than with my having PMS when I first listened to it. Once a month I decide that Morrissey (and everyone else I love) is a twit. Later, of course, I snap out of it. :)

Really liked it since the beginning, so I voted as such, but I will say that more than any other album certain tracks grew on me in a way that hadn't happened (wasn't necessary?) before. Particularly Black Cloud and the last two tracks on the record. Jesse will probably forever struggle to reach the heights and more importantly the range of Alain, Boz and obviously Johnny but I'm Okay... is as worthy an album closer as any other in the discography. He done good.

Probably the best album I like by Morrissey, sounds more modern Smiths for some reason and I like it!

I agree, my favorite song is It´s not your birthday anymore. I can´t hate Mama for these words:
"it´s just so lonely here without you, Mama" - I always cry

Last edited:
'Twas love at first listen for me.
And I'm still madly in love with it.

So I'm a "No, I've liked it since the beginning" gal :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom