It Comes To Us All or Morrissey In School

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
For years my daughter has had to put up with me and my Smiths obsession. She told me that at school today, her best friend was telling her how much she loves The Smiths (they're 15), so I said to her that it may take time, but it comes to us all. And then they went to R.E class, where the teacher demonstrated the Buddhist attitude to vegetarianism by playing Meat Is Murder and asking the class to analyse the lyrics. Fab.

Peter

For years my daughter has had to put up with me and my Smiths obsession. She told me that at school today, her best friend was telling her how much she loves The Smiths (they're 15), so I said to her that it may take time, but it comes to us all. And then they went to R.E class, where the teacher demonstrated the Buddhist attitude to vegetarianism by playing Meat Is Murder and asking the class to analyse the lyrics. Fab.

Peter

Ha, great story.

One question: wouldn't an analysis of the lyrics to "Meat Is Murder" yield a very short discussion? :rolleyes:

Peter
great story indeed-did your daughter tell her about you then?

I'm relatively young at 14, but I'd still say The Smiths and Morrissey influence me as much as anyone else, regardless of age. But, ofcourse I'm glad I found M sooner rather than later :thumb:

Peter

Wow.
What a great teacher. My teachers never liked Smiths. What a pity.

Wow.
What a great teacher. My teachers never liked Smiths. What a pity.

This past spring in my psych class I decided to ask my teacher his opinion on Carnegie Hall (Because I was going to buy tickets for Morrissey and needed to determine which seats to get) and he asked "Oh you're going to a show there? Which one?"

And I said "oh well I'm going to see Morrissey in March...you might not have heard of him but--" and he replied "No way! I'm going to see Morrissey at Carnegie too! I love him and The Smiths!"

That day a great friendship was born. I wound up going to his office periodically to talk about Moz and The Smiths. He was a true fan having all of Morrissey's CDs in his office and a couple of postcards he got at gigs etc.

Peter

Soooo very cool!! :thumb:

Hahaha, that's great! Why can't my school be more like that?

:clap:
I wish more kids around here were like that.

I swear that no one where I live knows who The Smiths are. At my old school there was like one girl who liked them besides me, but where I am now they prefer all crap hiphop and other shit. :(

Peter

what a fantastic teacher.. :thumb:

Unrelated to Morrissey but my son had his some milk and a buscuit and when i told him it was time for bed he says Dad i dipped my nob in my milk so obviously i ask what do you mean? and it turns out him and his mates call hobnobs just nobs so i was stunned for a minute.

Alan

There are kids at my school who know how awesome The Smiths are, and it makes me a happy teacher. The next generation - maybe we can trust them after all? I was wearing my Meat is Murder t-shirt the other day, and one girl excitedly told me how much she loves The Smiths. I don't know who she is, but I like her a whole lot more now. Even though she was wearing a beret.

I had a different English teacher today and she was talking about the influence of 'The School of Pessimism' (Shakespeare, Hardy, Larkin etc.) on popular lyricists, mentioning Morrissey is English graduate (James Dean Bradfield too), I shook my head but I think she chose to ignore me. I wonder how many other falsehoods she managed to slip in.

Last edited:
hmmm

There are kids at my school who know how awesome The Smiths are, and it makes me a happy teacher. The next generation - maybe we can trust them after all? I was wearing my Meat is Murder t-shirt the other day, and one girl excitedly told me how much she loves The Smiths. I don't know who she is, but I like her a whole lot more now. Even though she was wearing a beret.

What's wrong with wearing a beret? :confused:

I had a different English teacher today and she was talking about the influence of 'The School of Pessimism' (Shakespeare, Hardy, Larkin etc.) on popular lyricists, mentioning Morrissey is English graduate (James Dean Bradfield too), I shook my head but she I think chose to ignore me. I wonder how many other falsehoods she managed to slip in.

Pedantic teachers are annoying, they pretend to know everything.

Back
Top Bottom