"It Happens Every Time" by Tim Buckley on covers album?

I still see it on this guys instagram. I guess it is It Happens Every Time by Tim Buckley.

https://www.instagram.com/cellodick/

44249_cellodick.jpg

@cellodick / Instagram
Sunset Sound
#allstars #joechicarelli @billy_mims@rogerjosephmanning thanks for the great session. #morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Tim Buckley song I'm familiar with is the Song to the Siren. George Michael did a very good cover of it live at a concert of his I attended.

That's utterly dreadful. The lyrics are a sickly potpourri of every Morrissey cliche in the book.

"And it happens every time
Give my love, she leaves me behind
Yes, it happens every time
The sorrow makes me lose my mind
If she'd only be as true as I am
And listen to my love that's sayin'
Oh baby, won't you stay mine
Your lovin' makes me feel so fine
And someday baby you'll find
My love was gentle and kind
Someday you'll know that leaving me was wrong
But don't bother all that time is gone
And it happens every time
Now I know it's not worth the tryin'
So baby, don't turn around
Let my tears fall to the ground"

I agree, it's not his best work, and I really don't care too much for
his early work. His masterpiece is STARSAILOR ( for me anyways).

Though he was expanding his lyric writing, some of it on STARSAILOR was written by a poet friend of his Larry Beckett. It is said Tim died of
a heroin over dose, but I think what really killed him was the music press criticism and the general public not embracing his work of art that was STARSAILOR.

Last edited:
I agree, it's not his best work, and I really don't care too much for
his early work. His masterpiece is STARSAILOR ( for me anyways).

Though he was expanding his lyric writing, some of it on STARSAILOR was written by a poet friend of his Larry Beckett. It is said Tim died of
a heroin over dose, but I think what really killed him was the music press criticism and the general public not embracing his work of art that was STARSAILOR.

I think the timing rendered that album DOA and that it was written off as a drug addled couch-crasher left over from the weirder side of the Summer of love. There are vocal exercises and ambient sounds that conjure to mind Bowie's Berlin period, and most people thought that was crap at the time, and the genius label was slow to come. I'm not saying Starsailor is genius, because god knows it's self-indulgent, but art should be self indulgent sometimes. Playing and experimenting with sound will get kudos out of me, even if I don't get it 100%.

I think the timing rendered that album DOA and that it was written off as a drug addled couch-crasher left over from the weirder side of the Summer of love. There are vocal exercises and ambient sounds that conjure to mind Bowie's Berlin period, and most people thought that was crap at the time, and the genius label was slow to come. I'm not saying Starsailor is genius, because god knows it's self-indulgent, but art should be self indulgent sometimes. Playing and experimenting with sound will get kudos out of me, even if I don't get it 100%.

Best TB albums are Happy Sad and Greetings from LA.

TB was a hardcore junkie.:straightface:

Starsailor and both of the first Plastic Ono Band records were released in 1970, a good year according to my taste in music.

Sad so many will go to their graves with never hearing the beauty in this music.

Around 76, Bowie was inspired by Enos work and stuff that was coming out of Germany. Also compounded with obviously
wanting to go in a new direction, he at the time was going through a divorce, drinking and serious depression, saying the reason also for the instrumentals was the fact he at the time was having trouble writing, finding something to say.

Late 60's and 70's are so far the best and most innovative time for music, some say it had nothing to do with... drugs. :lbf: :cool:

Starsailor and both of the first Plastic Ono Band records were released in 1970, a good year according to my taste in music.

Sad so many will go to their graves with never hearing the beauty in this music.

Around 76, Bowie was inspired by Enos work and stuff that was coming out of Germany. Also compounded with obviously
wanting to go in a new direction, he at the time was going through a divorce, drinking and serious depression, saying the reason also for the instrumentals was the fact he at the time was having trouble writing, finding something to say.

Late 60's and 70's are so far the best and most innovative time for music, some say it had nothing to do with... drugs. :lbf: :cool:
I can hear something interesting and beautiful in most music, even if I don't like it. I appreciate the experience no matter what, and seek out things I haven't heard and that often fall outside of my comfort zone (I have sat through the entire Litanies of Satan by Galas, and it wasn't enjoyable, but it was a worthwhile experience) and explore for exploration's sake. I'm always interested in patterns and influences. When I approach say, a youtube rabbit hole session, I'm happy to let it branch out in any number of crazy directions because it's a worthwhile journey no matter what happens. And I'll never demonize drugs, because if a person has the temperament and a strong constitution, they can be a lot of fun and lead to different mindsets that act as a blasting cap to the TNT of the muse. Dabbling can be a good thing. It's when addiction sets in that things start taking a toll and everything suffers, usually (but not always!) including art.

Folks liked havin' fun with sounds back in them days.

I can hear something interesting and beautiful in most music, even if I don't like it. I appreciate the experience no matter what, and seek out things I haven't heard and that often fall outside of my comfort zone (I have sat through the entire Litanies of Satan by Galas, and it wasn't enjoyable, but it was a worthwhile experience) and explore for exploration's sake. I'm always interested in patterns and influences. When I approach say, a youtube rabbit hole session, I'm happy to let it branch out in any number of crazy directions because it's a worthwhile journey no matter what happens. And I'll never demonize drugs, because if a person has the temperament and a strong constitution, they can be a lot of fun and lead to different mindsets that act as a blasting cap to the TNT of the muse. Dabbling can be a good thing. It's when addiction sets in that things start taking a toll and everything suffers, usually (but not always!) including art.

Was talking about psychoactives not addictive hard drugs.

But Willy Burroughs kept creative and sharp as a tack, long life too considering his longtime use of heroin, it worked for him.

I wish Moz had covered this song instead...

I wonder if he’ll be going out of his way to cover songs yet covered or songs that he’s not mentioned already in public that he likes.

I’m very excited about this record! :D

Are you looking forward to it IR ?

I don't like his opinions on certain subjects nowadays but his cover of You Say You Don't Love Me by Buzzcocks is superb.

I wonder if he’ll be going out of his way to cover songs yet covered or songs that he’s not mentioned already in public that he likes.

I’m very excited about this record! :D

Are you looking forward to it IR ?

I am looking forward to this record, yes, more so than the last album.
Many things have changed in the last 35 years, but one thing that remains just as good (better I would argue) is Morrissey's singing voice.

I am eager to find out what his choices will be:
Will it be studio recordings of songs he has already aired live?
Songs we know he likes but never attempted before?
Songs he has never even mentioned in the past?
Or a combination of all of the above?
I am encouraged, if true, by the inclusion of It Happens Every Time.

Whatever the choices, I think we are in for a treat, I believe this will be better than his last 2 albums put together.

I don't like his opinions on certain subjects nowadays but his cover of You Say You Don't Love Me by Buzzcocks is superb.

It is indeed good. Funny to think how Wireless has changed out of all recognition since he headlined it. My son went this year and the line up was stuffed full of rap and grime, apart from Stormzy there was not one single artist I had heard of. The likes of Morrissey wouldn't get a look-in now. Depressing.

It is indeed good. Funny to think how Wireless has changed out of all recognition since he headlined it. My son went this year and the line up was stuffed full of rap and grime, apart from Stormzy there was not one single artist I had heard of. The likes of Morrissey wouldn't get a look-in now. Depressing.
Same goes for Reading/Leeds festivals. Leeds was a must do (day tickets) every summer, this years headliner Kendrick Lamar, errr no thanks

Same goes for Reading/Leeds festivals. Leeds was a must do (day tickets) every summer, this years headliner Kendrick Lamar, errr no thanks
Yeah, my other son went to Reading. I was torn between feeling pleased for him that he'd had a good time and despairing for the future of proper music.

Back
Top Bottom