it's hard work being a Morrissey fan...

But this is the same old meat and two veg, mid-tempo rockarama

Couldn't have said it better myself. For a LOT of his solo stuff.

It's actually harder for me to let him go, so I would say that being a Morrissey fan is easier than NOT being a Morrissey fan.

that's a good point. Morrissey evokes strong feelings, both positive and negative.
Morrissey fandom must look very strange indeed from the outside.

It looks very strange from the inside. I can't get my head around it, and I've been obsessed for years.

I knew he was trouble from The Smiths days, and I resisted for many, many years.

Ultimately, it was easier to give in (as he obviously knows).

:D :rolleyes:

It's actually harder for me to let him go, so I would say that being a Morrissey fan is easier than NOT being a Morrissey fan.

It looks very strange from the inside. I can't get my head around it, and I've been obsessed for years.

I knew he was trouble from The Smiths days, and I resisted for many, many years.

Mmm, it sounds so exciting... :p

^^It's true.

I knew a girl who lost herself mind to Morrissey in the '80s, and she was an object lesson to all of us.

Ultimately, it's hard to say which is the bigger draw: his spectacular voice, or the remarkable force of his personality. The combination of the two is quite devastating, and deeply seductive.

I knew it was trouble, I knew it, and still I went there...

^^It's true.

I knew a girl who lost herself mind to Morrissey in the '80s, and she was an object lesson to all of us.

Ultimately, it's hard to say which is the bigger draw: his spectacular voice, or the remarkable force of his personality. The combination of the two is quite devastating, and deeply seductive.

You forgot to mention his looks. Seriously. He's gorgeous and unique. Not perfect, but beautiful in any ways. :o Though it really was the music and lyrics that got me first. Then I started looking for pics and I was just astonished by his beauty. :p

HAHAHAHA!!! That is so true! For years I had this thought in my head that if I were to ever become obsessed with or fall for any music person it would be Morrissey. I knew the time would come eventually but for years I almost actively resisted it. Then finally one day I gave up and realized I needed Moz, immediately. :D It's so much easier to give in. :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA!!! That is so true! For years I had this thought in my head that if I were to ever become obsessed with or fall for any music person it would be Morrissey. I knew the time would come eventually but for years I almost actively resisted it. Then finally one day I gave up and realized I needed Moz, immediately. :D It's so much easier to give in. :rolleyes:

Of course "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" was written just for people like us. :rolleyes:

I look at it like this. Apart from all the obvious reasons why we all love him, try listening to other bands and musicians. You will find yourself returning to him again and again. I try to find something else to listen to, but quite frankly, nothing touches The Smiths or Morrissey as a solo artist. The worst songs he writes are ten times better than just about everything else out there.

His butt is lovely too... :o

Happy, Mr Nrith? :rolleyes:

it is hard work being a Morrissey fan and a bit like going out with a girlfriend/boyfriend your friends don't approve of.
On face value they just see the bad things he's done ('Racism', Cancelling shows, being miserable) but don't see the REAL him. The side i see when i'm listening to him on my own.
But it is almost one of the most rewarding things you can ever do.
I sometimes wish i hadn't got into Morrissey so i can rediscover all his songs all over again and try to capture the joy of listening to a life changing song for the first time again.

I look at it like this. Apart from all the obvious reasons why we all love him, try listening to other bands and musicians. You will find yourself returning to him again and again. I try to find something else to listen to, but quite frankly, nothing touches The Smiths or Morrissey as a solo artist. The worst songs he writes are ten times better than just about everything else out there.

You are listening to the wrong bands then.

Yes, Morrissey has written some amazing stuff. That's why we, myself included, are all here.But to say that his worst stuff (erm, let's take Sorrow Will Come In The End, as one example) is better than just about everything else there, only proves that you're not looking in the right places.

It is not difficult adoring the Man, his voice, his lyrics, his art, his compassion, etc. etc.

It is quite exhausting (and quite expensive) collecting his works. I will end up in the looney or the poor house. So be it. :p

As others have said, though...while it's not necessarily difficult adoring him, it can become quite irritating and frustrating having to explain that adoration to those who 'just don't get him'.

In one way, one could say that i just want to be left to own devices to get on with my adoration, but then I also want to try to persuade others of his majestic exquisiteness.

I had an episode last weekend being pinned up against the wall (metaphorically speaking) and being told that I like his music only because I like him, the person, and that I only like the person because of my love for the Smiths.

As others have said, though...while it's not necessarily difficult adoring him, it can become quite irritating and frustrating having to explain that adoration to those who 'just don't get him'.

In one way, one could say that i just want to be left to own devices to get on with my adoration, but then I also want to try to persuade others of his majestic exquisiteness.

I had an episode last weekend being pinned up against the wall (metaphorically speaking) and being told that I like his music only because I like him, the person, and that I only like the person because of my love for the Smiths.

any truth in those accusations? :p
I hate justifying being a Morrissey fan as well, I really do not try to convert people. I adore him, thats enough for me. Although I have to say I was at a Smiths/Morrissey night on saturday and the sheer stupid thrill of being with people who adore him as much as I do was delightful.

any truth in those accusations? :p
I hate justifying being a Morrissey fan as well, I really do not try to convert people. I adore him, thats enough for me. Although I have to say I was at a Smiths/Morrissey night on saturday and the sheer stupid thrill of being with people who adore him as much as I do was delightful.

Absolutely - on the last sentence, I mean, about being around kindred spirits and all that - it's wonderful.

On the accusations, it would be fair to say that we had a break in our relationship when I felt that his solo work was not as good as it could be and that it wasn't a patch on the Smiths, yes.

But then, I once separated from my wife for two years and was on the verge of divorce when we got back together...maybe I'm fickle like that!

^^It's true.

There must be a great song lyric in there somewhere! :guitar:
I think I might nick the last part for my signature.

it is hard work being a Morrissey fan and a bit like going out with a girlfriend/boyfriend your friends don't approve of.

Hi everyone - my first post!

See above quote - that's how I feel - a bit isolated being obsessed with Morrissey - no one I know wants to share.

I was at the Roundhouse (Weds) my first Morrissey gig although I've moved from being slightly obsessed to TOTALLY obsessed, most undignified for someone my age (similar to Morrissey's).

Anyway that's my forst post - tho' probably not my last...

Back
Top Bottom