Jessie Tobias - 10 years with Moz - thoughts?

Whatever might be said about Morrissey's band sounding like a pubband these days -and i agree- it's not because Jesse Tobias is a bad guitarplayer. The guy was to be the new guitarplayer for Red Hot Chili Peppers in their prime, replacing John Frusciante (!) which only fell through because they got along better with Dave Navarro. So it's fair to say that Jesse is technically probably the most competent guitarplayer Morrissey has ever worked with. So I'd imagine the band sounding like a pubband these days, if you agree with the statement, is not due to Jesse's shortcomings as a guitarplayer, but rather a conscious decision from the bandleader.

it's fair to say that Jesse is technically probably the most competent guitarplayer Morrissey has ever worked with.

You think Jesse is technically more competent guitar player than Johnny Marr, or Vini Reilly? Are you deaf, insane, or both?

I think it's scary to think he's been with Morrissey 10 years.

I have to confess, when mixed with the Boorer/Whyte/Farrell/Tobias mix of the Ringleader/Years of Refusal era, his songs have their place. I really do love You Have Killed Me, and I'm Okay By Myself is just a really visceral performance that's a great closer to a good album.

However, the prospect of a mainly Jesse composed "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd love to see a bit more craft and guile in the music. I'd be happy with Boz's melodic tracks a la "Christian Dior" and "Action Is My Middle Name," and admittedly Scandinavia is something a little different which is what I'd like to see. I would be really disappointed with 12 plodding "People Are The Same Everywhere" style tracks.

I think it'd be nice if this album had a few experimental tracks on, or at least pushed boundaries. I remember seeing a video interview with Vini Reilly around 2004 and he said that he thought Moz needed to do something different, and I still think that's the case. I'll be very interested to see what happens with the second of the two albums that is on this record deal should the first one get slated or flop. Would Morrissey have a complete fresh start if World Peace Is None Of Your Business isn't well received?

Here's to hoping Jesse has found some songwriting form for this record anyway.

Jesse didn't write most of world peace. Boz did.

Whatever might be said about Morrissey's band sounding like a pubband these days -and i agree- it's not because Jesse Tobias is a bad guitarplayer. The guy was to be the new guitarplayer for Red Hot Chili Peppers in their prime, replacing John Frusciante (!) which only fell through because they got along better with Dave Navarro. So it's fair to say that Jesse is technically probably the most competent guitarplayer Morrissey has ever worked with. So I'd imagine the band sounding like a pubband these days, if you agree with the statement, is not due to Jesse's shortcomings as a guitarplayer, but rather a conscious decision from the bandleader.

It isn't fair to say that at all. It's f***ing moronically stupid!

Is there a link to the writing credits of WPINOYB floating about?

There was a few weeks ago but I'm too hung over to remember where. I remember seeing Boz's name for about half the album and then Jesse's name for less than half and a few from GustavO, like maybe 3 or 4 at the most, but don't quote me on it. Someone more competent will know where the list is.

You think Jesse is technically more competent guitar player than Johnny Marr, or Vini Reilly? Are you deaf, insane, or both?

Being technically proficient and being pleasing to the ears are often two different things. The most proficient players tend to make my head hurt.

Either way, Jesse isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He's not responsible for making the sound fudgy.

He had a nice haircut for the Boston show.

I feel he's done great! :)

But why did he receive a non-vegan cake for his birthday? Sad. I would be pissed if fatsos celebrated my birthday with a low quality cake that I would never touch. In fact, people in offices have done that; their ignorance is unbelievable. Moz said in his book that Jesse does not consume cream or eggs, but he doesn't say Jesse is "vegan." So, is Jesse vegan or does he simply have food allergies that require him to avoid dairy and egg?

Alain terminated his contract with the Moz band and that's what prompted the hiring of Jesse. Good for him. If Alain wasn't so dumb (he puts hair gel in before going to bed and believes Rome was built in a day), he could have simply requested to split his contract with another guitarist if he was really getting burnt out. Instead he hires a lawyer to request that his face be on the cover of Morrissey albums. Huh? Plus, if Alain isn't vegan then he really is dumb.

what the hell is this

Has it really been 10 years? Time flies......

I've never rated Jesse in any shape or form. I'll make no bones about it. I'm sure he's a nice guy and loyal but the music sucks. I think there is no coincidence that in the past 10 years the music has taken a nose dive and Moz's reputation is in tatters as a result.

I was a massive fan until 2004 but since then I don't think the loyal fan's patience has been rewarded. Cancelled concerts, bizarre statements and mediocre albums don't repay the fan's faith. And a sanctimonious autobiography of course that totally bypassed the smiths years!

I've brought the news songs and they are mediocre/Moz by numbers at best. Not songs you want to play at full volume to the neighbours. I doubt I will buy the new album when it comes out either! Force of habit would say I did as I've brought every solo album on the release date but you know what? I'll give this one a miss. Enough of my woes! Goodnight!

Morrissey,obviously having had a couple of drinks walks into the backstage tuning area, where Jesse is preparing for the show.

Morrissey:play 'under the bridge".
Jesse: Stop it.
Morrissey: Play 'Give It Away" *sings* "What I got you to give it to your mama"... is that how it goes, Jesse?
Jesse: Stop it.

I've never rated Jesse in any shape or form. I'll make no bones about it. I'm sure he's a nice guy and loyal but the music sucks. I think there is no coincidence that in the past 10 years the music has taken a nose dive and Moz's reputation is in tatters as a result.

I was a massive fan until 2004 but since then I don't think the loyal fan's patience has been rewarded. Cancelled concerts, bizarre statements and mediocre albums don't repay the fan's faith. And a sanctimonious autobiography of course that totally bypassed the smiths years!

I've brought the news songs and they are mediocre/Moz by numbers at best. Not songs you want to play at full volume to the neighbours. I doubt I will buy the new album when it comes out either! Force of habit would say I did as I've brought every solo album on the release date but you know what? I'll give this one a miss. Enough of my woes! Goodnight!

I hardly think the new songs are mediocre. I've been listening non stop.

Stanley, if you are correct you can hardly blame Jesse.
This isn't a band of equals.
Moz is the bandleader. He's Miles Davis, James Brown, Captain Beefheart!
The sound is his sound. He chooses the musicians he wants to get the desired results.
If Jesse is crap then Moz has poor judgement.

The music Moz has recorded in the past 10 years is the best he has ever done there's a wonderful maturity and professionalism about the music.

Jessie guitar tone is generally annoying, listen to the new songs and really focus on what he's playing then listen to the two guitars interplay on Vauxhall or the live version of Glamorous Glue. Also the stage presence of Bill Wyman or a potted plant. And before piling on don't you think Moz fans wished they liked his playing? Generally seems to me a no. Better than Marr, Riley or Whyte? Hmm?

Back
Top Bottom