Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
The authority on what’s cool is everyone and no one, because cool is subjective. Look, if Nick Cave likes Christianity because J-dogg gives him “inspiration in life,” I can handle that. Do what you will, Nick Cave, as you make your blah late-period music. But I can still think it’s dorky. “Oh, you silly old man …”
Calling Jesus “J-Dogg” in an attempt to come across as edgy and contrarian (which is the sole purpose of everything you do on this site) is dorky. Please!!

Calling Jesus “J-Dogg” in an attempt to come across as edgy and contrarian (which is the sole purpose of everything you do on this site) is dorky. Please!!

This isn’t your fault for not knowing, Samsa, because the original exchange was in some other thread a while ago, but “J-dogg” is nicky wire’s legs’ name for him, not mine. Take it up with your fellow Christian.

This isn’t your fault for not knowing, Samsa, because the original exchange was in some other thread a while ago, but “J-dogg” is nicky wire’s legs’ name for him, not mine. Take it up with your fellow Christian.
I’m sorry. But it’s dorky and silly, whoever thought of it. But the fact is that you took it and ran with it, and it’s completely in line with your aging teenager persona.

Oh, and this thread is dangerously depressing (almost on par with the one on politics). I sneak in whenever I’m feeling frisky, but I always bolt for the door after a quick glance, with significantly less serotonin in my system than before.

I’m sorry. But it’s dorky and silly, whoever thought of it. But the fact is that you took it and ran with it, and it’s completely in line with your aging teenager persona.

Oh, and this thread is dangerously depressing (almost on par with the one on politics). I sneak in whenever I’m feeling frisky, but I always bolt for the door after a quick glance, with significantly less serotonin in my system than before.

I’m not sure why you waited 27 pages to register this petty complaint of yours, then, because “J-dogg” is in the thread title. Anyone who isn’t a sanctimonious scold would recognize that we’re all using “J-dogg” to highlight the silliness of it. It has that absurdist feel of Christian rap music and “Jesus is my homeboy” stuff—making Jesus relatable and all that. Well, it doesn’t make him any more relatable to this teenager.

If this thread depresses you, then for your own sake, stay off of it, even if you’re feeling “frisky” (yikes).

I’m not sure why you waited 27 pages to register this petty complaint of yours, then, because “J-dogg” is in the thread title. Anyone who isn’t a sanctimonious scold would recognize that we’re all using “J-dogg” to highlight the silliness of it. It has that absurdist feel of Christian rap music and “Jesus is my homeboy” stuff—making Jesus relatable and all that. Well, it doesn’t make him any more relatable to this teenager.

If this thread depresses you, then for your own sake, stay off of it, even if you’re feeling “frisky” (yikes).
I just simply couldn’t hold it in any longer.
Well, you’ve really highlighted the silliness. Enough already.

I’ll certainly try. But if you’re getting too dorky, I’ll come for you again!

You really insist on being a headache, don’t you? This is what people mean when they tell you to “f*ck off with your shit, Samsa.” I will use whatever terminology I please for Jesus. If you would like to have a serious discussion on Christianity or religion, we can do that on this thread, and I will refer to Jesus respectfully when addressing you. If, on the other hand, you just want to endlessly snipe at me for casually calling someone a dork (and have your revenge by calling me a dork), then please take that idiocy somewhere else, and at least have the decency not to accuse me of being the teenager here.

You really insist on being a headache, don’t you? This is what people mean when they tell you to “f*ck off with your shit, Samsa.” I will use whatever terminology I please for Jesus. If you would like to have a serious discussion on Christianity or religion, we can do that on this thread, and I will refer to Jesus respectfully when addressing you. If, on the other hand, you just want to endlessly snipe at me for casually calling someone a dork (and have your revenge by calling me a dork), then please take that idiocy somewhere else, and at least have the decency not to accuse me of being the teenager here.
People? You mean Rifke? Please.

Use whatever terminology you wish. But beware, there might be those who’ll react to it. And I have no wish to discuss my religion with you or anyone else on this forum. It’s hard to come up with something more depressing sounding than that.

That’s all very well, but you are the aging teenager. Forever and always.

The authority on what’s cool is everyone and no one, because cool is subjective. Look, if Nick Cave likes Christianity because J-dogg gives him “inspiration in life,” I can handle that. Do what you will, Nick Cave, as you make your blah late-period music. But I can still think it’s dorky. “Oh, you silly old man …”
Glenn Gould said that "the purpose of art is not the momentary ejection of adrenaline, but, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." I agree with that and imagine nick cave would too. You would probably think these words of a world class genius are "gooey". You would probably say that the purpose of art is whatever pleasure it brings you in the moment, hence your desire to commodify it. My question is: what happened in your life that made you turn out this way??

Oh shit, I said that?! I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't sound like my verbiage at all! All this time I was thinking about saying that I found it a lil disrespectful :lbf:

I’m sorry. But it’s dorky and silly, whoever thought of it.

agreed!! :lbf:
Agree with this too! Which is why I usually make a point of not wading in! :cool:

Glenn Gould said that "the purpose of art is not the momentary ejection of adrenaline, but, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." I agree with that and imagine nick cave would too. You would probably think these words of a world class genius are "gooey". You would probably say that the purpose of art is whatever pleasure it brings you in the moment, hence your desire to commodify it. My question is: what happened in your life that made you turn out this way??

:confused:

Where did I say I “desire to commodify” art? Nothing in my life made want that, because that’s not something I want. Are we talking about Nick Cave being a dork for Jesus, or are we talking about something else?

But most art is commodified to some extent anyway. That’s just the world we live in, nothing to do with me. Nick Cave profits from his art. He sells records and charges for concerts. It’s not like he’s sitting on the street corner with Warren Ellis, busking. An artist completely without guile might put his or her work in a cabinet to be discovered after their death, who knows. It’s difficult to have perfect purity of intention. I think that’s part of what Pablo Picasso meant when he said, “after Altamira, all is decadence.”

Last edited:
Oh shit, I said that?! I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't sound like my verbiage at all! All this time I was thinking about saying that I found it a lil disrespectful :lbf:

:confused:

Where did I say I “desire to commodify” art? Nothing in my life made want that, because that’s not something I want. Are we talking Nick Cave being a dork for Jesus, or are we talking about something else?

But most art is commodified to some extent anyway. That’s just the world we live in, nothing to do with me. Nick Cave profits from his art. He sells records and charges for concerts. It’s not like he’s sitting on the street corner with Warren Ellis, busking. An artist completely without guile might put his or her work in a cabinet to be discovered after their death, who knows. It’s difficult to have perfect purity of intention. I think that’s part of what Pablo Picasso meant when he said, “after Altamira, all is decadence.”
Because that's what nick caves letter was about if you had actually listened to what he was saying. Art divorced from human effort, such as we see with AI, is the commodification of art. That's why we who oppose AI oppose it. It's not because we're afraid of it, and that you're so much braver about exploring new frontiers. It's because it's gross.

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom