Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
But to hear the intro and the music of Bigmouth, How soon is now and Headmaster live is MONSTROUS.
Would have been so great if he'd played Stop me if... and This Charming man, two of his guitar masterpieces...

Saw Johnny live in Amsterdam yesterday. So great to hear the original guitar parts of Bigmouth, How soon is now, Headmaster Ritual, Please please please, Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me, There is a light.... his guitar ability is not diminished at all.
Strange to hear him sing Morrissey's parts. Morrissey is such a unique personality with such personal lyrics, no one else can really feel these lyrics IMO. Johnny really looked his age with dyed hair, and he was charming on-stage without talking too much.

Johnny's top songs Easy money, New town velocity and Hi hello could kind of compete with the Smiths songs, I can imagine Morrissey singing to them. I had the feeling the other solo songs could not compare at all, they're less delicate and less subtle. All in all, I liked this concert better than the Morrissey one I saw a few years ago, purely as Johnny played seven Smiths songs, with the original guitar parts, and Morrissey played only three and concentrated on WPINOYB songs, and no I don't care too much for most of the music that Morrissey put out after Vauxhall.

Watching their concerts is like watching two butchered parts of the Mona Lisa in two different museums. They're so much more together than the sum of their parts. But I'm not telling anything new I guess. And I'm much more a Smiths fan than a solo fan, the solo work is diminishing returns for me, still I love songs like Everyday, Suedehead, Hairdresser, Glamorous Glue, the whole of Vauxhall, Irish Blood, New Town Velocity, Dashboard and Hi hello...

I still feel like a reunion, which is not going to happen, would yield amazing concerts, as Morrissey still sings great and Johnny's still great on guitar, nothing's lost there.

Yes it sounds very strange to hear Drama J gurggle those Moz tracks. Very Strange, like a strange foreign language strange. Is DJ using an ancient Irish dialect on his current button tour? Nobody can make out
the words to the songs. Luckily the chicka chicka riff is still there.:rolleyes:
I wouldnt put it past Drama J to start singing Irish Blood. Hes liable to sing Sunday too, as one of the awful singalongs hes doing.
:mask:
The Never Ending Drama J Button Tour.:grin:

"Bug" undecipherable 'mix' no 2:

I think after much arduous exertion I can make out part
of the introduction:
"this is doodic....(unintelligable)..boog":rolleyes:

"Bug" undecipherable 'mix' no 2:

of the introduction:

Look at you, searching the internet day in/day out for obscure Johnny Marr material...just to lampoon? Or could you secretly be enamoured of him, yet in deep denial? It's cool, Moz loved him too. :sweet:

DdmgzqTVQAIkV6y

They photoshopped Drama J photo so as not to make him so wrinkly.

:dizzy:

WTF? How much did Drama J pay to plant this article?? 'Equivalent to Bob Dylans
wild mercury sound'?? The newest sucky Drama J album equivalent to Bob Dylans
wild mercury sound?? "Warner Brothers" when it should be "New Voodoo":fearscream:

The "Olympian" tone?? :dizzy:
The gurggling is Olympian?
They must have points going on this...DJ must have said to them, 'please help
a fellow left loon sell a few cds".... there can be no other explanation...CALL THE COMET:drama:
Bob Dylans wild mercury sound? This must be an 'indie' publication.:popcorn:

of the introduction:

I can't ever understand a thing he says or sing either. I just love watching him play the guitar wearing a nice shirt. Cor look at tha! Isn't he the coolest? :guitar:
I'm sure he'll release the instrumental version of the album for us, VCS.
Patience.

8/10 in the new Mojo. Don't have the review handy right now, but I'll try to post later.

8/10 in the new Mojo. Don't have the review handy right now, but I'll try to post later.

MOJO!?? Mojo is like one giant commercial LOL:thumb: Odds are 100 percent that Drama J bought a huge
ad on there!! Show me the ad, please post it.:rofl:
You dont buy an ad then your stars go down. Considerably.:censored:

Here's the Mojo text:
Spread between 2013s The Messanger and 2014s Playland, there was enough material for a single killer record, the ex-Smith playing to his strengths with jagged, post punk explorations and dreamy soundscapes, all topped by an unexpectedly warm Manc voice pitched somewhere twist old foils Morrissey and Bernard Sumner. Call The Comet excavated similarly layered 90s sounds, this time with mucho geopolitics and echoes of Sister of Medcy and - somewhat ironic icarly considering a school age Billy Diffy taught him the rudiments of guitar - The Cult. But it's when Marr stops thinking 'big rock festival sound' that this LP shines: Walk Into The Sea - haunting piano notes, an eerie soundtrack figure, sudden bursts of rolling emotion - salutes his Hans Zimmer- pedigrees cinematic nous; Hi Helli is The Smith's There Is A Ligjt ...cheekily recast; Actor Attractor replays icy, mechanized Joy Division beats. Ultimately, it's all about the angle of the jangle - ever impeachable.

I love Johnny and really wanted to like this after reading everyone's positive posts. But after getting a chance for my first listen, meh.

Here's the Mojo text:
Spread between 2013s The Messanger and 2014s Playland, there was enough material for a single killer record, the ex-Smith playing to his strengths with jagged, post punk explorations and dreamy soundscapes, all topped by an unexpectedly warm Manc voice pitched somewhere twist old foils Morrissey and Bernard Sumner. Call The Comet excavated similarly layered 90s sounds, this time with mucho geopolitics and echoes of Sister of Medcy and - somewhat ironic icarly considering a school age Billy Diffy taught him the rudiments of guitar - The Cult. But it's when Marr stops thinking 'big rock festival sound' that this LP shines: Walk Into The Sea - haunting piano notes, an eerie soundtrack figure, sudden bursts of rolling emotion - salutes his Hans Zimmer- pedigrees cinematic nous; Hi Helli is The Smith's There Is A Ligjt ...cheekily recast; Actor Attractor replays icy, mechanized Joy Division beats. Ultimately, it's all about the angle of the jangle - ever impeachable.

all that :sleeping: music 'topped by an UNEXPECTEDLY WARM MANC voice pitched SOMEWHERE twist old foils MORRISSEY and Bernard.'? :laughing: Is this the rubber room version of Mojo? WTF?

"hi hello is the smiths 'there is a light'..CHEEKILY recast' CHEEKILY? wtf?:censored:

I take it Drama J mailed this to Mojo himself, along with the button tours beer budget.doh:

I beg to differ. In a live setting, Johnny Marr really brings it. You can FEEL the music. ...and his vocal resonation and emotional delivery aren’t lacking, in the slightest. As it should be, when done properly.

I’ll take the emotional brilliance of the music - delivered by a top-notch band well ahead of Morrissey’s pitchy, cut-rate, off-strip Vegas, shirt-tossing, karaoke croonery - any day of the week - thanks. ;)
I am sorry for you making these choices. But hey, I am ok with that, as it is all of course very subjective-ish matter, take your commentary on Moz.

If you hear dear Drama J tell it on youtube he has damn near 500 guitars.o_O
Loaned one to a chick who was mystical and put an aura on the dumb guitar
when she returned.
These are 55-year-old peeps we are talking about.

To further analyze, he wrote the one sucky song while watching some Clint
Eastwood movie with the volume down.:straightface:
Song then came to him.:drama: While watching the movie with the volume down.
Sucky song 'fell into his lap'.

But that was then this is now, now is the YEAR OF THE COMET not the YEAR OF THE CAT but the YEAR OF THE COMET:drama:

back to what I was saying I bet he has but the one plastic blue guitar, due to being
broke.:clap:

Back
Top Bottom