Johnny Marr on The Smiths legacy - irishtimes.com

“And I ended up with a load of almost entirely uptempo, punchy songs, which I think isn’t what solo records are supposed to be about. From what I gather, they’re supposed to be about experimentation and playing with an orchestra. But I’ll do that on the next one.”

Oh? :D

and:

“It’s not that I am someone who wants to be a provocateur – there are other people that are more qualified than I am in that regard."

Indeed!

Geez...Sadly I doubt he was thinking of Moz. I bet he was thinking about his mates: Noel and Liam. It was 25 years ago the Smiths broke up. How often do you think about your friends from back then>

When they're all over the Press trying to stir things up talking about Norway, Kate Middleton, comparing the meat industry to the Holocaust etc? Morrissey is the ultimate 'provocateur'.

When they're all over the Press trying to stir things up talking about Norway, Kate Middleton, comparing the meat industry to the Holocaust etc? Morrissey is the ultimate 'provocateur'.
I have to disagree Amy. Moz is a flaccid provocateur. Whilst I may agree with his disgust with the monarchy and the meat industry, he seems incapable of making a vaild point. He personalizes his criticisms of the monarchy and makes daft comparisons in his arguments against meat. I've yet to hear him make a point that can't be laughed off as the ravings of a twit.
Billy Bragg or Bruce Springsteen for example are much more politically astute.

I have to disagree Amy. Moz is a flaccid provocateur. Whilst I may agree with his disgust with the monarchy and the meat industry, he seems incapable of making a vaild point. He personalizes his criticisms of the monarchy and makes daft comparisons in his arguments against meat. I've yet to hear him make a point that can't be laughed off as the ravings of a twit.
Billy Bragg or Bruce Springsteen for example are much more politically astute.

I never said he was going about it intelligently. He makes 'controversial' statements to get attention and column inches, and succeeds time and time again. He's a media troll.

I never said he was going about it intelligently. He makes 'controversial' statements to get attention and column inches, and succeeds time and time again. He's a media troll.
OK, I can go with that. I just can't see him as a provocateur.

Johnny Marr talks to Lauren Murphy of irishtimes.com

Excerpt:

Mention of The Smiths brings about the question of legacy. While Marr’s reputation for humility is well known, there are certain topics that you imagine will test his zen demeanour. I’ve already promised not to ask his most dreaded question – the one that begins with “Will the . . .” and ends with “reform?” .

“Good,” he good-naturedly grumbles. “Just Google it for the answer.” But my editor will kill me, I tell him, if I don’t at least ask whether Morrissey has heard the album, or, gulp, whether the two are still in touch.

An audible harrumph follows, followed by a nifty sidestep. “Well, I don’t actually have a copy of my own album myself – I’ve got the masters, and I’ve got tracks on all of these different devices, but I was just thinking that very thing yesterday. So that’s probably your answer, really. If I haven’t got one, I doubt he has, either!”

Marr is understandably reluctant to continue to re-tread the same patch of old conversational ground, but it is difficult – impossible, rather – to mention him without also mentioning his part in the band that are regularly hailed as one of the most influential in modern music.

Now, perhaps for the first time, he is being faced with frequent reminders of his past work acting as more of a burden than a buoy. Does his name being constantly prefaced by “former Smiths guitarist . . .” ever bother him particularly when he’s embarking on a solo path for the first time?

“Maybe if I indulged myself I could go down that road, and I understand the question – but Id rather have a legacy than not,” he says.

Plus, people say some really amazing things to me, and I think it would be pretty churlish to complain about anything in light of that. To have created something that people are really passionate about; it’s kind of mind-blowing, really, because I know when a record or a band has really hit me and meant something in my life, how important that is.

“So to be part of someone’s personal lives is a privilege. It’s more than a privilege. So I just take it for what it is, and know it’s a really nice thing, and I don’t analyse it beyond that, because otherwise I could go around in circles, or my head might explode. And also, you can forget to keep moving forward.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish Times

Qualified Irish Jobs Board was launched in November 2011 to advertise qualified professionals and employers within Ireland. We offer an innovative employment platform where employers and candidates can connect with one another using state of the art recruitment software. Our jobs board will be continuously updated with qualified professionals and employment opportunities so that we can achieve our long term goal which is to Get Ireland Working Again!

Irish Times
http://www.qualifiedirish.ie/article/12/Irish-Times.html/

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom