"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

I wonder how long it will be before this poster finally admits they don't like brown-skinned people?

If that's what you took from my post then the problem lies with you, not with me. But to humour you and answer your question: I'll admit it around the same time you admit that while you're decent at memorising facts for appearing on quiz shows, when it comes to having logical and rational discussion and debate you're usually in way over your head. Is that admission forthcoming?

If that's what you took from my post then the problem lies with you, not with me. But to humour you and answer your question: I'll admit it around the same time you admit that while you're decent at memorising facts for appearing on quiz shows, when it comes to having logical and rational discussion and debate you're usually in way over your head. Is that admission forthcoming?

Nope. You're a right-wing loon. And I am right. Now you're going on ignore. Bye.

Laughable. Brexit will be remembered like the Great Rock n Roll Swindle except Brexit actually f***ed some of the very people who voted for its lives up. Those doyennes of the working class - Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage backed by Paul Dacre's Daily Fail and Rupert Murdoch's rags. You delude yourself with this working-class movement nonsense, the fact is most people who voted to leave don't have a f***ing clue what they were actually voting for apart for 'less immigrants', whipped up into a frenzy by a rabid right-wing press. Perhaps ( and I'm being generous) it will be remembered as The Pensioners' Revolt.

Now the October Revolution, 100 years ago this month. That was a revolution.

I would have crawled over broken glass to vote to leave the EU, and not only did I know what I was voting for, many of the issues that concerned me have grown worse over the months since the day of the vote

A lot of my foreign friends were astonished by the result, but they were continually misinformed by the media and remain politicians into believing that staying was a formality. In the last few weeks of the campaign I barely met a remain voter and the one or two I did meet were far from ignited by a missionary zeal to do so. It was clear something was going on.

The day after the Brexit vote a Brazilian friend called me in shock. I asked her what she thought the response would be in Brazil if their laws were made in Buenos Aires by apparatchiks the Brazilian people could not dismiss, and that a final legal court of appeal was based in Ascuncion? She thought there would be civil insurrection.

Well quite, except we did it with pencils.

Of course I am not holding up the Bolsheviks as the ultimate revolution. I was merely suggesting that the October Revolution actually was/is a Revolution in the literal definition of the word.

I hardly think a referendum called by a Prime Minister because he wanted to appease the more right-wing element of the Tory Party constitutes the beginning of the overthrow of the behemoth of the European Union.

Where I live the EU has provided much funding for job creation, social community and enterprise (and I won't lie a lot of crap too) yet people voted to leave. In droves. Ex-working class communities (as there is little community and no f***ing jobs despite the funding) decimated by years of Tory rule. You ask majority of these people why they voted leave and it is due to a perception of immigration taking their jobs. A perception perpetuated by your friends of the Tories in the media.

Without wishing to sound Liam Gallagher #asyouwere

Last edited:
I would have crawled over broken glass to vote to leave the EU, and not only did I know what I was voting for, many of the issues that concerned me have grown worse over the months since the day of the vote

A lot of my foreign friends were astonished by the result, but they were continually misinformed by the media and remain politicians into believing that staying was a formality. In the last few weeks of the campaign I barely met a remain voter and the one or two I did meet were far from ignited by a missionary zeal to do so. It was clear something was going on.

The day after the Brexit vote a Brazilian friend called me in shock. I asked her what she thought the response would be in Brazil if their laws were made in Buenos Aires by apparatchiks the Brazilian people could not dismiss, and that a final legal court of appeal was based in Ascuncion? She thought there would be civil insurrection.

Well quite, except we did it with pencils.

Johnny I have no doubt that you and Born to Harangue voted for reasons more complex and detailed. Most people didn't.
Most people are not politically astute. Even more so, ironically,.in this social media age where everything is seemingly just an echo chamber.

Thw thing is what have you actually voted for? Noone has come up with any answers

Why don't we just get to the root of the problem? We are all holding on (or out) for what once was. Morrissey is not who he used to be and neither are we.
Social Media has ruined Artists like Morrissey because it pulled the curtain back and we started to see a real person and not an enigma. If we are brutally
honest, the Morrissey we all grew to idolize - his last good album was "Maladjusted" and ironically that's right when Social Media started. So by 2004 he
"came back" with an album we were most happy about because he was back. Sure there were some great songs but it was the beginning of the downward
spiral that has taken us to where we currently are. I want to like any new material as much as the next fan, I'm not out to be negative. Spent The Day In Bed
is "catchy" and cool but no where near the days of old. Honestly, the only song that resembles anything close to what once was, is Home Is A ?
That reviewer is probably being charitable with a 5/10 rating. I just hope there are some extra tracks that will be released eventually that are great.
Prior to World Peace I would have said his last good album was Ringleader. Right now I would say his last good album was World Peace. Quarry, Ringleader, and World Peace are far better than Maladjusted imeo (in my esteemed opinion). But you're right about how we have all changed. Secretly I'm hoping Moz releases songs as good as 'This night has opened my eyes' or 'Well I wonder' or 'I know it's over', but that will never happen, so I'm just happy that he continues to make music. In comparison to a lot of other music by other bands Moz is still far above the rest, and I'm looking forward to the new album. It is great to have something like that to look forward to.
It's funny, but someone like Paul Weller is praised for always changing. We criticise Moz for not being the same as he was 30 years ago.

Right now I would say his last good album was World Peace.

In comparison to a lot of other music by other bands Moz is still far above the rest, and I'm looking forward to the new album. It is great to have something like that to look forward to.

My thoughts exactly!

Born to Harangue 1 Ordinaryboy86 0

Is that the number of breakdowns he’s had ? You’ll find it’s higher that 1.
FYI I didn’t even read what he said so feel free to fill me in, but give me the abridged version or we’ll be here all day. (Seems like an intelligent guy to be fair, but I stopped taking him seriously when he said Jackie was a flag)

Why don't we just get to the root of the problem? We are all holding on (or out) for what once was. Morrissey is not who he used to be and neither are we.
Social Media has ruined Artists like Morrissey because it pulled the curtain back and we started to see a real person and not an enigma. If we are brutally
honest, the Morrissey we all grew to idolize - his last good album was "Maladjusted" and ironically that's right when Social Media started. So by 2004 he
"came back" with an album we were most happy about because he was back. Sure there were some great songs but it was the beginning of the downward
spiral that has taken us to where we currently are. I want to like any new material as much as the next fan, I'm not out to be negative. Spent The Day In Bed
is "catchy" and cool but no where near the days of old. Honestly, the only song that resembles anything close to what once was, is Home Is A ?
That reviewer is probably being charitable with a 5/10 rating. I just hope there are some extra tracks that will be released eventually that are great.

A truer word has never been spoken Erik.
I happen to believe many of us feel this way, however we appear to be outvoiced by the lunatic fringe on this site.
Morrissey is still capable of writing a good song here and there, but these are becoming fewer and farther between with the passing of time.
His voice remains largely intact though, in some ways better than in the past, so we are still here, hoping.

A truer word has never been spoken Erik.
I happen to believe many of us feel this way, however we appear to be outvoiced by the lunatic fringe on this site.
Morrissey is still capable of writing a good song here and there, but these are becoming fewer and farther between with the passing of time.
His voice remains largely intact though, in some ways better than in the past, so we are still here, hoping.

That’s assumes that a lot of the fans are people who’ve been there since the smiths days or viva hate days. I didn’t even listen to the smiths until around 2001 and get into getting solo albums until a few years later. I don’t realky have any old impression of him to be disappointed by in comparison to now so I think it hardly a matter of all who disagree being lunatics. It amazes me that some here like Jamie for instance think southpaw is the best record but I don’t think her crazy

You know it's over, still you cling....

Sorry Moz, you is well shit now innit.

From the material aired so far 5/10 seems spot on to me. It´s not awful but it´s Moz by numbers - the lyris are weak and the music plodding. Can´t help but feel it´s time for Moz to get off the stage and leave (what is left of) his reputation intact.

That’s assumes that a lot of the fans are people who’ve been there since the smiths days or viva hate days. I didn’t even listen to the smiths until around 2001 and get into getting solo albums until a few years later. I don’t realky have any old impression of him to be disappointed by in comparison to now so I think it hardly a matter of all who disagree being lunatics. It amazes me that some here like Jamie for instance think southpaw is the best record but I don’t think her crazy

I think you misunderstand me.
I am not saying everyone who disagrees is crazy, that would be ridiculous.
The lunatic fringe is a reference to several people on these boards in whose eyes Morrissey can do/say no wrong.
'Farted myself to sleep, you may please yourself, I really don't care' would be regarded as a lyrical masterpiece by some around here, believe me.

Outrageous. Had Moz died on tour in 1986, we would have missed out on the best of all Smiths albums.

Johnny I have no doubt that you and Born to Harangue voted for reasons more complex and detailed. Most people didn't.
Most people are not politically astute. Even more so, ironically,.in this social media age where everything is seemingly just an echo chamber.

Thw thing is what have you actually voted for? Noone has come up with any answers

What it “looks like” is what it looks like in every nation in the world except the EU 27.

It’s easy to be lulled into the illusion that the EU is the way the world is, when it is a trading bloc, now mutating, without even having the common decency to ask its citizens, into a political union. It is the exception, not the rule.

The UK will be able to make and apply its own laws, build trade agreements with whomever it chooses, and know that the British Prime Minister and government run the country and also that its judicial system is the final arbiter of our law. Far from being a curious arcane system that is the way every other nation state operates except those within the EU.

As you can imagine, I have little in common politically with the late Tony Benn but remember his five tests of democracy:

WHAT POWER HAVE YOU GOT?

WHERE DID YOU GET IT FROM?

IN WHOSE INTERESTS DO YOU EXERCISE IT?

TO WHOM ARE YOU ACCOUNTABLE?

HOW CAN WE GET RID OF YOU?

The EU Commission fails at least three of those points.

Look, if the EU had been a startling success then perhaps Id have been more likely to give it another go, but look at the problems facing it. The Greeks are still looking down the back of the sofa to pay their immense loans, the Italian banks are clinging on by a thread, the Poles, Czechs, Hungarians and Slovaks are threatened with legal action by Brussels over migration, in Germany Merkel is supported by a third of her nation and is struggling to form a coalition. Youth unemployment in the southern nations is an immense problem, and now it looks like even little Malta is a mafia state run by scumbags.

What I’m saying is this: the EU and Europe are different entities. Europe is a wonderful continent. Nobody in their right mind would wander around Prague or Vienna or Lisbon or Seville and hate it. It’s a lot harder to like the EU, and particularly the Commission. They have political ambitions far beyond anything the population has been told or even asked for.

Of course I am not holding up the Bolsheviks as the ultimate revolution. I was merely suggesting that the October Revolution actually was/is a Revolution in the literal definition of the word.

I hardly think a referendum called by a Prime Minister because he wanted to appease the more right-wing element of the Tory Party constitutes the beginning of the overthrow of the behemoth of the European Union.

Where I live the EU has provided much funding for job creation, social community and enterprise (and I won't lie a lot of crap too) yet people voted to leave. In droves. Ex-working class communities (as there is little community and no f***ing jobs despite the funding) decimated by years of Tory rule. You ask majority of these people why they voted leave and it is due to a perception of immigration taking their jobs. A perception perpetuated by your friends of the Tories in the media.

Without wishing to sound Liam Gallagher #asyouwere

But, Bluebirds, like any governmental body, the EU doesn’t have any money beyond that it takes from the member states which in turn, having no money themselves, take it from taxpayers.

The money you speak of is money returned and rebadged as from the EU with caveats as to what it may be spent on. We don’t need the EU to do that. It’s just another layer of very expensive bureaucracy.

We can do that ourselves, and if those in charge can’t, don’t or won’t we can sack them and get someone in who will.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom