"Morrissey 25: Live" film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

Morrissey 25: Live: Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter
by Stephen Dalton

Remarkable singer marks quarter century milestone with unremarkable concert film.

Snippets...

The original performance began with an onstage introduction by Morrissey’s friend and cheerleader Russell Brand, a heartfelt eulogy which – bizarrely – has been cut from the finished film. Brand and other celebrity acolytes, including Patti Smith, are now glimpsed only fleetingly in an opening montage. This is a baffling omission, considering Brand is not just an eloquent orator but arguably more famous nowadays than Morrissey himself. But as we long-suffering fans know all too well, the Oscar Wilde of pop moves in mysterious ways.

Among the musical highlights are a clutch of Smiths classics. They include a scouringly heavy remake of Meat Is Murder, an angry vegetarian manifesto illustrated with hellish visual clips of animal cruelty, and a graceful rearrangement of the melancholy ballad Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. Fans of Morrissey’s retro-crooner side will also enjoy his sumptuous, feverishly melodramatic cover version of Frankie Valli’s 1967 torch song, To Give (The Reason I Live).

Compared to the last official Morrissey concert film, Who Put The M In Manchester? In 2004, 25: Live is a largely lackluster affair. Which is frustrating, because the singer remains a unique cultural icon, with more than enough musical treasure and prickly charisma to make a Don’t Look Back or a Stop Making Sense. But that would require a heavyweight director to challenge and cajole him out of his mid-life comfort zone. Until then, he will continue to preach to the converted with perfunctory promotional items like this, which is as good as it needs to be but no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Morrissey 25: Live" film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

Yeah, he didn't say all mean things, this is true. I was just so disgusted by the Korean Dictator and other comments. I feel the overall tone was that of disgust. He almost made it worse by suggesting he kinda/used to like Moz, but this was too much. His compliments seem insincere.

he refers to Moz handing the audience the mic "sickly ritual, which feels more suited to North Korean dictators than popstars" These are not the words of a man disappointed in a concert film, they are hateful words!

He says Moz appears" increasingly uncomfortable on stage as he ages". Maybe the author is uncomfortable with an ageing Morrissey on stage, but Morrissey himself. is absolutely at home on stage! Not only is he comfortable but he shines!

I was not at this show but I saw him a couple of days later as well as earlier in the year and he's still brilliant on stage.

A negative review is one thing but there is no reason to be viscous!

Sigh.

You know I love Morrissey. I really do. Ask anyone I know and they would tell you I am slightly obsessed with him. I think his voice is amazing and could probably make anything at least slightly interesting. He could sing One Direction songs and I'd still appreciate the richness of his voice and what it has to offer. And unquestionably the Smiths are my favorite band of all time.

That being said I don't think the man can do no wrong and I don't think everything he's ever done is utter and complete brilliance. And I don't think anyone who dissents from that line is part of some sort of terrible anti-Morrissey conspiracy.

Yet, I also don't think everything he's done since (pick a point it really doesn't matter) has been the absolute worst most horrible thing ever in history and anyone who disagrees is hopelessly delusional.

And I feel like to be on this site I have to have one of those absurd positions. Either his career is over and no artist has ever sunk so low or The People Are the Same Everywhere is the most brilliant pop song ever!

I guess I just don't belong. To anywhere. I am mine.

Re: Article: "Morrissey 25: Live" film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

You do know what 'viscous' means, right? And please do go find a review to counteract this terrible viscosity.

P.

Oops, I misspelled a word. I'm glad it tickled you so.

Sigh.

You know I love Morrissey. I really do. Ask anyone I know and they would tell you I am slightly obsessed with him. I think his voice is amazing and could probably make anything at least slightly interesting. He could sing One Direction songs and I'd still appreciate the richness of his voice and what it has to offer. And unquestionably the Smiths are my favorite band of all time.

That being said I don't think the man can do no wrong and I don't think everything he's ever done is utter and complete brilliance. And I don't think anyone who dissents from that line is part of some sort of terrible anti-Morrissey conspiracy.

Yet, I also don't think everything he's done since (pick a point it really doesn't matter) has been the absolute worst most horrible thing ever in history and anyone who disagrees is hopelessly delusional.

And I feel like to be on this site I have to have one of those absurd positions. Either his career is over and no artist has ever sunk so low or The People Are the Same Everywhere is the most brilliant pop song ever!

You actually sound down right reasonable! I don't think everything Morrissey does is perfect, but he's my favorite so I give him more leeway and have a soft spot for everything he does. I'm like that with those I love in "real life" too:D

Sigh.

Yes, you are the only one who has mastered the concept of Nuance. Have you picked up your Nobel prize yet?

Has it ever occured to you that people here are outspoken because they feel passionate about Morrissey?

Your boring nuanced drivel doesn't make you wise or special. It makes you sound like my grandmother.

Goodnight and Thank You.

Yes, you are the only one who has mastered the concept of Nuance. Have you picked up your Nobel prize yet?

Has it ever occured to you that people here are outspoken because they feel passionate about Morrissey?

Your boring nuanced drivel doesn't make you wise or special. It makes you sound like my grandmother.

Goodnight and Thank You.

“All internet debates, without exception, are entirely futile... There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, random heckling and a notional 'live audience' quickly conspire to create a perfect storm of perpetual bickering. Stumble in, take umbrage with someone, trade a few blows, and within about two or three exchanges, the subject itself goes out the window. Suddenly you're simply arguing about arguing. Eventually, one side gets bored, comes to its senses, or dies, and the row fizzles out: just another needless belch in the swirling online guffstorm. But not for long, because online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way. An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on messageboards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity” - CHARLIE BROOKER.

https://vimeo.com/72055073

This bimbo (who refuse to wear a bra) helps run a support page for that shit wade robson. that page is out of control! shameless......they've even invited gene simmons to the page......they have like 12 thousand followers......she should rot in hell!

I think this is the same jasmine that people were saying knows moz back in 2011. do you guys remember all of that?? did she ever show up at any of his shows?
it's rumored that the two of them are actually acquainted somehow (I think she actually mentions something about that in the video) and it's been said that she is the "twin" he referred to earlier this year......

justice for mj!

I wonder if she knows him because of her father......he used to be an actor......I doubt it's because of the wr supporters nonsense because that just started this spring......
anyway......no robson supporter deserves our Morrissey.

Ive just seen the promo video of this gig! Jesus!! The crowd WERE DREADFUL!!! IT WAS SO SHOCKING!!!!

Goodnight and Thank You.

If you think I'm not passionate about Morrissey you clearly know very little about me. If I wasn't passionate about Morrissey I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have seen him three times on the last tour with two more times cancelled. I wouldn't listen to his music constantly. I wouldn't be writing long posts here.

But there is a difference between being passionate about and one-dimenisional idiocy. And being a troll.

You actually sound down right reasonable! I don't think everything Morrissey does is perfect, but he's my favorite so I give him more leeway and have a soft spot for everything he does. I'm like that with those I love in "real life" too:D

Thanks.

And that's understandable. I can totally relate. I just don't think the film review--while not the most charitable thing ever written about Morrissey--was a vicious one or written by someone with a serious axe to grind. It was very contemptuous of the fans, which is a reoccurring theme in these reviews, and that is really rather irksome.

That being said I suspect this while not the greatest concert film ever or Moz's finest performance (though I could yet be proven wrong) I will, most likely, go to see it at theaters and I will almost certainly have a great time. I probably (if what we've been told so far is true) won't be running out to watch the Blueray and watching again and again. I also though won't be running here to whine endlessly and bemoan for Morrissey to quit. In fact, I'd rather like to see him in concert another three times--new album or not.

“All internet debates, without exception, are entirely futile... There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, random heckling and a notional 'live audience' quickly conspire to create a perfect storm of perpetual bickering. Stumble in, take umbrage with someone, trade a few blows, and within about two or three exchanges, the subject itself goes out the window. Suddenly you're simply arguing about arguing. Eventually, one side gets bored, comes to its senses, or dies, and the row fizzles out: just another needless belch in the swirling online guffstorm. But not for long, because online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way. An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on messageboards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity” - CHARLIE BROOKER.

The same Charlie Brooker who made a comfortable career from writing in the Guardian, until he became upset his readers realised he had sold out and decided to take his ball home. Diddums.

https://vimeo.com/72055073

This bimbo (who refuse to wear a bra) helps run a support page for that shit wade robson. that page is out of control! shameless......they've even invited gene simmons to the page......they have like 12 thousand followers......she should rot in hell!

I think this is the same jasmine that people were saying knows moz back in 2011. do you guys remember all of that?? did she ever show up at any of his shows?
it's rumored that the two of them are actually acquainted somehow (I think she actually mentions something about that in the video) and it's been said that she is the "twin" he referred to earlier this year......

justice for mj!

I don't really like Michael Jackson......sketchy......and I don't know about wade robson......came out with the accusations at a strange time.....
but on the mozza thing......maybe we could find someone who knows him and ask them if they know about his connection with jasmine???
I too remember when she was being talked about in 2011.....I think it was during the summer, when he was touring. I never knew who anyone was talking about. it might be this girl though because I remember hearing that her name was something like jasmine van....something.....I knew she was supposed to be an American, too.....
i don't think moz has ever mentioned her by name though....not her full name anyway....not publically.....
have you contacted her?? she seems nice.

I wonder if she knows him because of her father......he used to be an actor......I doubt it's because of the wr supporters nonsense because that just started this spring......
anyway......no robson supporter deserves our Morrissey.

yeah.....i also heard something about that......i think that was back in the 60s, though......he was on stage and in an old African-American film.....i don't think he's acted for awhile....besides....she said she lives in Pennsylvania....not los angeles....though i don't know where her father lives....

I'm happy he's bothering to do anything. Look forward to seeing this in one way or another. Two date's to choose from it appears in the NYC / NJ area.

some guy named matt on youtube mentions her in his video......
she's posted a ton of shit on here......and apparently, she's a braggart......bitch, nobody cares that you don't wear makeup....stfu.....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wade-Robson/20078152404?hc_location=stream

ahhh......I found this link posted on the wade supporters site.....
is THIS the matt guy and his video mention of her????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Vd45EHZxA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPOWhUhAfUryj1QLnHhw6zw

I guess she claims that what he said is a bit inaccurate....
she commented on it on the wade supporters thing....
she seems to have quite a few posts there......
and yeah, I see that they have some celebrity associates there.....there's also something from Roseanne barr.......but yeah.....I also see something from simmons
also saw that the page made the news.....I missed that article....and i'm a radaronline fan....go figure....
i'm not going to bother her but it would be nice if anyone with any inside knowledge on her and moz could share.....someone here must know him.....I know his associates and contacts troll through here....they've commented on things before.....
it would just be neat to know how they even know each other....and why she made such a strange video......

Good thing I limit my pointless, futile, unproductive addiction to just one website. This one. :D

Should have filmed the San Diego show. Was a one-off good set list...

I've edited your article:

"“All internet debates, without exception, are entirely futile."

Thanks for sharing.

It's awful to think that anyone could compare Moz to a bizarre cult leader. Can't think where that idea originated. If only people would defer to Morrissey's 25 Year Victory Celebrations without raising uncomfortable questions. And you're right, there's no need to be viscous! "Viscious, you hit me with a flower, you do it every hour, ooh, baby, you're so viscous/viscious, whatevs!"

I hope you recover from the trauma of this non-compliant response to Morrissey's bizarre copying of George Michael's tour. I totally empathise with your distress when you write: "I was just so disgusted by the Korean Dictator and other comments. I feel the overall tone was that of disgust". I agree. Its' just discusting to discuss this film like this, it's just.........INAPPROPRIATE!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom