Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Secret of Music"

the Secret of Music

blows my mind the hatred this song has directed at it. i recognize the fact that i can listen to Moz sing over a toilet flushing, but still, the music, delivery, and overall composition is perfect. could it be a jingle-jangle pop song? sure, but we already have enough of those. so why not?

also, while scattered, some of the better Moz lyrics of recent years.

blows my mind the hatred this song has directed at it. i recognize the fact that i can listen to Moz sing over a toilet flushing, but still, the music, delivery, and overall composition is perfect. could it be a jingle-jangle pop song? sure, but we already have enough of those. so why not?

I didn't like it at first, but I really love it now. I completely changed my mind. It is very surreal, it tries to catch a state of mind. Among the best on Dog.

100 percent agree. Always been one of the very best songs off of Dog. It’s hypnotic, weird and it sucks you right in. Also, the words are great. So many fantastic lines about the emotional power of music.

remember the hatred for it when the album came out,thought it was great,the music almost puts you in a trance because of the repetition.

from the beginning on, first day of release, this wonderful song has been my fav on the "dog on a chain" album. it's psychedelic, it's funny, it's meandering. there is something animalistic about it, a plodding extinct creature that has taken up a trail. (fan?) video is great too.

Can't remember that ppl "hated" the song. Those who can't deal with surprise were irritated, yes, there was derision and the ususal opinionatedness of the culturally depraved.

Noooooo!!!!! Dog, the song, is fantastic!!!! Drop The truth about Ruth, instead 😉
agree dog is fantastic,love the nursery rhyme delivery.

Noooooo!!!!! Dog, the song, is fantastic!!!! Drop The truth about Ruth, instead 😉

Ruth is John... lol. Can't stand that song.

My only real problem with the song is that it goes on a little too long, Morrissey's done singing at the 5:45 mark and it goes on for another 2 minutes, they should've cut a minute out of the song

Someone should do a splice/remix of the opening drum intro of The Operation into the last two minutes of The Secret of Music.

No-one ever hated this song. They just thought it was a bit rubbish and, in all fairness, they were probably right.
In all fairness, you have a hard time appreciating the finer things in life.

Oh man, out of all the recent songs post-Quarry, this probably takes the cake for the worst. I can listen to 'The Truth About Ruth', but this? The record needle is getting pulled at that point

The weakest song (with Ruth) on an otherwise rather dodgy affair called IANADOAC. Barely listenable, unless you are into The Sparks oslt. Teachers is an innovative milestone against it. Morrissey and his musicians in desperate search of inspiration with uncle Chicca twiddling the knobs.

Last edited:
His worst song ever ......

Total pish
We think, dear, you will find Black Cloud was already firmly cemented in that position long before TSOM hoved into view.

Secret of Music is definitely better than Ruth , Darling and The Dog song . (I'm not talking about Bobby here, which is a total flop, unlistenable because of all that Thelma whining). In my opinion, this is a very interesting musical experiment. It's nice that Morrissey has recorded something that is completely different from everything he recorded before. At the same time there is some unsatisfactory, unused potential in this song . But I like and appreciate it.

I don't think it's that baaaaad

But.

I also quite like Who Will Protect Us from the Police?... so please ignore my opinion

Secret of Music is definitely better than Ruth , Darling and The Dog song . (I'm not talking about Bobby here, which is a total flop, unlistenable because of all that Thelma whining). In my opinion, this is a very interesting musical experiment. It's nice that Morrissey has recorded something that is completely different from everything he recorded before. At the same time there is some unsatisfactory, unused potential in this song . But I like and appreciate it.

I usually agree with you on questions of musical taste, but we are divided here on Bobby Don't You Think They Know. I think Thelma Huston makes the song (I hear belting, not whining). Really the only thing missing is one of those duet music videos where they're facing each other in the vocal booth, making sass gestures and staring each other down as they exchange lines. I think Bobby, not The Secret of Music, is the "interesting musical experiment" and "completely different from everything before." It wasn't among my most-liked on Dog at first. Like a lot of the songs, it was jarring. But it's emerged as one of my favorites. And someone on here found a definition for "white mosquito" in sexual slang that makes it even more gloriously weird.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom