Morrissey DISAPPROVES solo singles 1988-1995 vinyl box sets & 3CD set release (TTY)

Re: Morrissey disapproves solo singles 1988-1995 vinyl box sets release (TTY)

I wont feel compelled to buy these box sets, they seem like worthless items to buy anyways even before Morrissey personally issued his dissaproval of them. I much prefer collecting the original singles as they were instigated by Morrissey at the time of their release, not something that is just making ex-record labels more money.

Re: Morrissey DISAPPROVES solo singles 1988-1995 vinyl box sets release (TTY)

Surely he recieves no royalties from me buying a 'Suedehead' vinyl from a dusty record shop in Brighton, the seaside town they should never close down, either?

So really, if you want the 7" singles does it make any difference?

If he didn't approve of the Smiths singles CD releases, who chose the cover image? Or did he approve them for vinyl then refuse for CD, and Rhino released it anyway?

Re: Morrissey solo singles 1988-1995 vinyl box sets release

It isn't unfortunate.

It's all up to individual to decide whether buy them or not.

Morrissey is a pop singer, his former record company is marketing his popularity.

I didn't mean it unfortunate for their release, but unfortunate that the record company is treating him like a cash-cow. (I'm sure that will get some people upset).

All the records are already fairly easy and inexpensive to obtain, save maybe Interlude and HOTYF.

I don't understand how he could get himself into a situation that he would not recieve a royalty from his own work? :confused:

Is the record industry really that complicated?

I think he probably means he won't receive performance royalties direct from the record company, presumably because they are pretending he hasn't recouped. But his publishers will collect a writer's royalty for him, so he will make some money out of sales.

Morrissey has a habit of telling us only half the story.

Morrissey is losing out on this set and doesn't want people to buy it :(

From www.true-to-you.net
Information regarding boxed sets of Morrissey singles, reissued Smiths CDs and LPs
8 August 2009

Morrissey would like it to be known that he has not been consulted by EMI/HMV/Parlophone with regards to two forthcoming boxed sets of Morrissey singles. Morrissey does not approve such releases and would ask people not to bother buying them. Morrissey receives no royalty payments from EMI for any back catalogue, and has not received a royalty from EMI since 1992. Morrissey also does not approve of, and was not consulted on, the Rhino box of Smiths CDs, or the Warner releases of Smiths LPs on 180 gramme vinyl. Morrissey last received a royalty payment from Warners ten years ago, and, once again, he would ask people not to bother buying the reissued LPs or CDs.

Well theres my 'excuse' for not buying them, right there. ;)

The real story here is that if Morrissey makes money out of it, he's happy for you to buy it. If he doesn't make money from it, then he doesn't want you to buy it. As Bored has said elsewhere, if he didn't want this situation arising, he should have looked a little closer at the contracts.

Peter

The real story here is that if Morrissey makes money out of it, he's happy for you to buy it. If he doesn't make money from it, then he doesn't want you to buy it. As Bored has said elsewhere, if he didn't want this situation arising, he should have looked a little closer at the contracts.

Peter

Unless he was tricked.

Me thinks: LIKELY. :mad: :angry: :emoticonthrowinglighteningbolts:

Peter

He's hardly got a reputation for paying close attention to contracts and royalties, though. ;)

Morrissey is a pop singer, his former record company is marketing his popularity.

Correct! However, HE isn't making a dime on these, so why give the labels even more $$$, just so they can "cash in"? If Morrissey were getting paid, I'd have no problem buying them. Since he isn't...I wont be.

That'd be like having a label release something you did musically, and you not making a dime off it, you'd be pissed.

Correct! However, HE isn't making a dime on these, so why give the labels even more $$$, just so they can "cash in"? If Morrissey were getting paid, I'd have no problem buying them. Since he isn't...I wont be.

That'd be like having a label release something you did musically, and you not making a dime off it, you'd be pissed.

I might be wrong, but I remember reading NME that Smiths signed contract with EMI which resulted Morrissey's solo recording contract.

It's his own mistake if he didn't read the terms and conditions carefully.

yeah well i DISAPPORVE of Morrissey stating on his website that he was coming to Australia and then not coming, suck eggs, life isn't fair Morrissey.

Im also curious to hear his thoughts on that upcoming HMV/Parlophone Singles 88-95 3 disc boxset, thats supposed to be released in a few months?

I'd love to know the tracklisting/info for this? I'm guessing the label will include something out of the ordinary, so that folks will pick it up? Surely, they wont re-release something they'd have released just a few months earlier(the supposed Moz solo boxsets)?

The decision to purchase these box-sets is personal.
Each one of us should decide whether we want them, need them, are worthy additions to our collections, etc.

Whether Morrissey makes money from the release or not is totally irrelevant (unless you happen to be Morrissey of course :))

If you want them and can afford them, go and treat yourself.
If you don't, nobody is forcing you...

Ewwwww

yeah well i DISAPPORVE of Morrissey stating on his website that he was coming to Australia and then not coming, suck eggs, life isn't fair Morrissey.

You are not the only one, mate.

I think Morrissey was 99% sure that he's going to tour Australia and New Zealand, but something went wrong, changed his mind. :(

Tags
devious truculent unreliable
Back
Top Bottom