Morrissey interview in Juice Magazine (Singapore)

The online version of a Singapore magazine called Juice has a longer version of what's also in their printed version here:

Morrissey: Wordsmith - Juice
by Aizyl Azlee on Friday, 1st June 2012

Includes:

"I’ve been uncomfortable since the day I was born, so discomfort is nothing new. There is a large audience of music lovers who want to be treated intelligently, and I am appreciated, at least, for that. As we all know, the world of music has become meaningless and moronic and obsessed with the prize system. Suddenly it is ONLY about awards, and awards are given only to people who have nothing to do with advancing music or thought. Look for someone in music with any social commentary and you’ll… need a lot of spare time on your hands."
________

How has being a cult icon affected your life? "I don’t like the word ‘cult’ because it suggests that you don’t actually appeal in the greater world. I’ve had three number one albums in three different decades, so I’m also neither ‘alternative’ nor ‘indie’. I am just one of those pop artists that the media don’t know what to do with. I have never embraced rock celebrity status, and wouldn’t want to. To be called a celebrity these days is to be called an idiot. David Beckham is a perfect example of a celebrity."

"It wouldn’t be difficult to be the most well-balanced person in pop!"

Which DJ/person would you like to hang today, metaphorically speaking? "Most are unpardonable... they all now shout instead of speaking. It’s as if they are addressing a pack of mad dogs. Of course, whenever I hear myself on the radio I forgive the DJ of anything. I fall in love with anyone who falls in love with me. That’s only fair, isn’t it?"
______

"The James Dean essay was called James Dead is Not Dean, but was published as James Dean is Not Dead, which had me rather exasperated. Oh, well."

Still, did you ever want to reinvent yourself as an author instead of a musician?

"Yes… I still do."
________

"Anyone who is aware of such a thing as basic grammar is not trusted."

________

You once said that you don’t foresee yourself performing past 55. Is that still true?
"Yes. I am slightly shocked to have gone as far as I have. This is my 30th year, and I’ve aged a lot recently, which is bit distressing for me, as it must be for everyone. The body changes shape and there’s nothing you can do about it. Do I continue as a modern day Andy Williams? I take one hour at a time. We will all probably be blown up by the Syrian government soon, anyway, so it hardly matters in the great scheme of things [laughs]."

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. That is always something I've found so paradoxical about Morrissey.

In past interviews, he's acted so against mainstream media and such but he sure has no problem parroting their politics!

*sigh*....what can we do?

Well that's a bit ridiculous. You can share a similar view to someone while disagreeing with the way they conduct themselves.

Although his view on Israel does seem hypocritical.

and when he is 55, he will retire at 58, and when he is 58, he will retire at 60. Etc.

Not saying he will still tour for 2 years straight but I think there will be sporadic Morrissey shows past 55/56.

As for aging, he did take a hit between 2005-2009, but honestly I think he has plateaued the last few years and looks pretty much the same.

Like the rest of us he is aging, but come on he looks really good for his age & has clearly taken care of himself. Like many very good looking people in their youth he is probably a little vain & taking aging harder that the rest of us average looking folks would. Most guys his age would love to "decay" like him. When I saw him in Singapore I was mostly impressed by his voice & his stage presence. Many have commented on this tour how he has never sounded so good & powerful, so if he wishes he still has some good years of live performances in front of him. One thing I found interesting about him ranking the Singapore concert #2 is that there were no stage invaders & it was a respectful crowd compared to many of the other dates. Maybe we need to be a little more gentle with the man, maybe he is afraid we will break one of his hips with all the excessive demonstrations on love!

But Israel is kosher. Oh that's right, they are not turning their tanks on their own people, they are turning them on a different set of people and their homes and their businesses.

But "God bless Israel" eh Morrissey? When's the date again?

And robbing their land. While he's prattling on about the uselessness of the UN, Israel continuously flouts and utterly ignores UN resolutions and international law in relation to it's illegal occupation of Palestine. Oh wait a minute he might give a flying f*ck for the Palestinians if they were seals.

Back
Top Bottom