Morrissey lyrics not depressing...

theneverplayedsymphony

The World's Forgotten Boy
I really hate it when people say to me that Morrissey lyrics are depressing, (eg singing "I slit my wrists last night") because I don't find them depressing in the least... but that's not the point of this thread!

There is one thing I find depressing about listening to Everday is Like Sunday, Rusholme Ruffians, Teachers Are Afraid of The Pupils etc... and that is the fact that it is so long ago! Morrissey has been FANTASTIC for so long, but he's a human and he's getting old!:tears: I think about that and that's more depressing than the lyrics! What'll happen to us!? I can't really even explain it... What does everyone else think?

:DOh, you got me! Please excuse my vanity!:p

(I actually thought it was worth 5-stars though!)

I don't find the lyrics depressing at all, especially not his solo lyrics. Although it must be said, the Smiths appeal to me far more when I'm in a depressive frame of mind. At times like that I feel the Smiths are the only ones who can get through to me.

I know, but the calendar on my phone depresses me more than anything! When I'm in my 30s he'll be in his.... well, he won't be young!

Morrissey lyrics more depressing is
Why do you sleep alone tonight?
I know
'Cause tonight is just like any other night

I hope that he do not finish alone

but he's a human and he's getting old!

he need loving . when is finish ???

his voice , still when he was singing verses sad , makes me happy :rolleyes:

I think his lyrics are quite depressive but not usually depressing, ie, as someone has said, I listen to them/appreciate them more when I'm feeling in that mood.

Some songs are unquestioningly meant to be downbeat and soulsearching (immediately 'Asleep' and 'I Know Its Over' spring to mind).

I agree it's silly when people just write him off as 'depressing' though. But it's equally foolish to deny he has some songs that easily lend themselves to that tag.

what worries me is that he seems to be despising the same underdogs he used to "protect". Young people of all times can be young Mozzer, and young Mozzer is no longer around. Now he seems to push them aside because, well, after all he's grown up.

Please tell me I'm wrong, spit on me, I know you're dying to flame me. Do it, I wanna be wrong. :tears:

what worries me is that he seems to be despising the same underdogs he used to "protect". Young people of all times can be young Mozzer, and young Mozzer is no longer around. Now he seems to push them aside because, well, after all he's grown up.

Please tell me I'm wrong, spit on me, I know you're dying to flame me. Do it, I wanna be wrong. :tears:

Maybe he's just not as concerned with the issues of very young adults because he's facing different issues now. He's 48, not 18. But I would still disagree with you, I saw or read some fairly recent interview in which he commented on being that age, and was very empathetic. I think it was the TTY Q&A.

I really hate it when people say to me that Morrissey lyrics are depressing, (eg singing "I slit my wrists last night") because I don't find them depressing in the least... but that's not the point of this thread!

There is one thing I find depressing about listening to Everday is Like Sunday, Rusholme Ruffians, Teachers Are Afraid of The Pupils etc... and that is the fact that it is so long ago! Morrissey has been FANTASTIC for so long, but he's a human and he's getting old!:tears: I think about that and that's more depressing than the lyrics! What'll happen to us!? I can't really even explain it... What does everyone else think?

I like that your topic and opening sentence are not the point of the thread. Good work! :D (we need you in off-topic)

I do not find his lyrics depressing,I find them to be real...
Life isn't always wonderful,it can also be cold and barren,he states this with class,some songs are uplifting and happy while others are downright depressing,just like life.

Maybe he's just not as concerned with the issues of very young adults because he's facing different issues now. He's 48, not 18. But I would still disagree with you, I saw or read some fairly recent interview in which he commented on being that age, and was very empathetic. I think it was the TTY Q&A.

What I find interesting is that today's Morrissey almost seems to be consciously undoing all the old myths. Listening to the new songs he seems intent on demolishing the lyrics of The Smiths. I should cite examples, but I'm at work and facing deadlines. It's just a thought I've had lately. The post about "That's How People Grow Up" about crashing his car, breaking his spine, is much worse than never finding one's sweetie is so at odds to "to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die." :)

Don't you think his survival into middle age argues for the vitality and strength of his early music? Taken in its entirety his career says to us: you can feel like the soil is falling over your head but you've still got a future with some happiness in store-- a future without compromise or loss of dignity or the stench of self-betrayal.

I think his lyrics are quite depressive but not usually depressing, ie, as someone has said, I listen to them/appreciate them more when I'm feeling in that mood.

Some songs are unquestioningly meant to be downbeat and soulsearching (immediately 'Asleep' and 'I Know Its Over' spring to mind).

I agree it's silly when people just write him off as 'depressing' though. But it's equally foolish to deny he has some songs that easily lend themselves to that tag.

So true. People who think he's depressing don't know enough -or any!- of his material. Too quick to write him off. Fine, there's more for us. It's interesting how his music gets through to some and others not. To each their own. Morrissey fans are special, we're just on a completely different plane. We want to feel depressed :p it makes us 'happy'... don't the others get it?! :p

I need to hear his music no matter what mood I'm in. Even the depressIVE songs are comforting and 'uplifting' in their own weird way (cuz I don't feel so alone). I was just listening to 'I Am Two People' on the way home and was having a moment -that I needed- and I thought... this man has 'seen me through' for over 20 years now. Moz for Life :cool:

I do not find his lyrics depressing,I find them to be real...
Life isn't always wonderful,it can also be cold and barren,he states this with class,some songs are uplifting and happy while others are downright depressing,just like life.

Life is like a box of chocolates... ;) I've taught you well, grasshopper ;) Moz is Life :cool:

I know, but the calendar on my phone depresses me more than anything! When I'm in my 30s he'll be in his.... well, he won't be young!

This depresses me. I'm 41 and have a wall calendar :rolleyes:

Hm, I am a depressed person, take meds and whatnot, and have never thought of Morrissey as "depressing". When I listen to his music, it doesn't bring me down more at all. When I'm feeling happy, even though some songs are about sad feelings I don't get sad, it just reminds me of the range of human emotions. I have noticed that when I was younger his solo stuff appealed to me more and now as I am getting older, The Smiths are appealing to me more. Hrm.

Dicartwright, I can even top that statement by making the statement that Morrissey was never as young as you think he was!

Even as a young man, he had sort of a fuddy-duddy outlook (for lack of a better term), which I thought was quite endearing. Think of his musical and literary tastes back then, even watching films before 1970. I think that his sober outlook on things found him at such odds with young people his own age, I can see how he may have felt so different and so isolated from his own peers.

But going back to the main topic, his lyrics have only change in that back then, they were a mixture of sadness and humor. Now, they seem more hopeful and more open to possiblities.

Morrissey is actually younger now than he was then. :p

Back
Top Bottom