Morrissey mentioned in Blogger's article

modrevolve

Standard Model
http://blogs.wsj.com/hire-education/2010/09/21/jenn-pelly-no-giving-in/

Jenn Pelly: No Giving In Article Comments Hire Education

By Jenn Pelly
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job,
And heaven knows that I’m miserable now.

—Morrissey, singer of The Smiths, 1984

When listening to gloomy ‘80s pop bands like The Smiths, it’s common to think: “Damn, I never want to feel like Morrissey.” For hard-working college seniors, that sentiment can be especially strong—see above. Whether you want to be an astrophysicist or a food blogger, no one wants to give in to “the system”—right?

Getty Images I don’t. That’s largely what’s driven me since I discovered my unending need to write. William Blake once said, “I must create a system or be enslaved by another man’s.” I read that in ninth grade and have spent seven years applying it to my work.

I study journalism and English at NYU—as an aspiring music writer, blogger and radio DJ, I’m breaking into fields that are changing right now. My college experience has revolved around my work at NYU’s student-run radio station, WNYU, and my editorial internships at SPIN and Rolling Stone. My internships provided me invaluable experience in writing and web production, not to mention opportunities to attend private in-office concerts from my favorite bands.

Throughout the year, I’ll be working on my personal blog while pursuing freelance writing gigs, hosting my 3.5-hour weekly radio show, and contributing to hyperlocal blog NYULocal.com. I’ll fine-tune essential reporting skills in my coursework, as I produce videos and podcasts. I also hope to land a final killer internship this spring—in preparing for that, I’ll be streamlining my online presence, since much of my work is web-based.

Some people think music criticism is dead; others think the journalism market is entering a Golden Age. It will be an interesting year—for better or for worse, the soundtrack will rule.

Moz mentioned in a blog? I've never heard of such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom