Morrissey on Guardian

Yeah, balance of power in interviews, the interviewer generally has the power of final word and the interviewee has the high ground as the person of note, the artist, if you like.

But I thought it was interestng that they send a poet to interview M, because in some ways a poet (arguably) has the artistic high ground over a songwriter. (A statement that could be debated ad infinitum, of course, but in a way I can see that being in both their minds.)

If you were going to look for a songwriter who had crossd the line into the realm of the poet, think M would probably be the first person I would put up for discussion, anyway.

Something else, I wondered if the line at the end of the interview where he said that the wings apeared on his shoes and he ascended into heaven, kind if thing, was a way of saying that that was the moment when the hero died, becase I suspect M said something less than complimentary about the fact that A. had put that music in the book, or even that he'd given him the book at all, and that was the moment it happened. (Or something.) After all, Armitage thinks in metaphor a lot, I guess. Either that or I'm completely up the wrong tree. (Has been known. :p)

With the cat, the problem seemed to be the cat's expression, which didn't say, "I'm balancing on a head", to me. (Or anything about a cheezburgr.) I'm confident that M could look entirely as if no cat was on his head when any number really were. :) (Examination of the feet/hair interface proved inconclusive.)

Kristeen Young?

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/1814236&tid=11

http://www.perouinc.com/gallery/ind...ors&pageId=101&id=8606&direction=next&start=0

:D

I have a vague and uncertain recollection that Morrissey commented briefly during a gig over the past year or so on Carol Ann Duffy?

Indeed he did. It was one of the three incendiary nights at Brixton Academy last year, might have been the last night. Yelled something like 'stick that in yer pipe, Carol Ann Duffy' (I think she'd just been appointed laureate) after a particularly rousing opener.
Almost as good as the National. Almost. ;)

Indeed he did. It was one of the three incendiary nights at Brixton Academy last year, might have been the last night. Yelled something like 'stick that in yer pipe, Carol Ann Duffy' (I think she'd just been appointed laureate) after a particularly rousing opener.
Almost as good as the National. Almost. ;)

Thanks, joe :) I feel, oddly, he actually likes her. Where's she from?

Besides it being yet another time-wasting; interviewer-obsessed; busy scissors (editing him out the page) interview, at least we did get to shed some slight light on matters concerning Morrissey, which we may have had an inkling over but now it's been confirmed. If we can go by this interview.

We know he drinks Fanta, which isn't really revelatory but I'll take great delight in over the Coca-Cola brigade at work. I always knew it was the best drink.

We know he emails, which had been mentioned before but was never confirmed. A fiver for anyone who can obtain it.

He still has the ability to stop traffic; shake the British press and its pond life to its core.

He is still one of the foremost commentators on British life. His one quote that still stood intact on when you become involved with an other human being was bang on the money and still shows he has the ability to interpret the working-classes like no other.

His wit is still there, although a lot of it wasn't in print, being that we had to find out what Simon thtought of the whole thing. The best being his quip to Simon - 'you're Vince Cable'.

His autobiography is now complete and as it will be all his own words, will hopefully provide us with a more conclusive and coherent account of what the hell has been going on than a poet's wet dream ever could.

So all in, more positive from him and for those who wished to and had actually succeeded in reading the article. What is maddening and saddening is that you had those fractions of fans (if you call them that) who had made their mind up before actually having read the article and then those who done so thereafter, even though if you had read the article, you'll see there was very little of Morrissey in it and when there was, despite the ill-advised Chinese comment, that in itself, besides being clumsy, still shows he cares beyond belief about the very thing that got most into him, he still has the ability to be as charming; as thoughtful and as magical as ever.

To say that he was nasty; bitter and twisted is so off the mark, as with any interview he's done, he likes to jostle; probe and play with the interviewer as much as the interviewer does with him. I can only assume this is either his way of dealing with it or that he has a genuine interest in others and their well-being. This isn't a bad thing.

Also to say he wasn't interested or was being obviously obtuse is wrong because he even Simon says, he stayed around a long time after the interview, so there must have either been some sort of a connection or as he said, conversation had dried up but Morrissey was still happy to entertain him.

Again, we don't know the circumstances in which the interview took place; what mood he was in or heaven forbid, whether he actually got paid or done it of his own free time. Unfortunately the majority are basing it one hamfisted but none the less, heartfelt comment and marking him out as being a racist when in the next breath, they mention his eulogy to Melissa, who to my limited knowledge may have herself been considered as being ethnic.

Of course Simon goes on to say that there was a lot of talk and dramatic statements throughout the day, so why did he see fit to only publish this one? Where are the rest? Or is this the best one to sell papers? It's hard not to defend Morrissey because again; everything he has ever said when in print or person has been genuine; of kindness; care and concern but again he's being judged on an article that completely cut out and has only the bare bones of quotes; either cut off or quoted to suit the idea of the interviewer. It's not an a poor interviewer; nor is it an assassination; it was done out of love but again reveals nothing of the man; reflects nothing of who he is as a person and at best, conveys someone still actively involved in what he believes in but who will forever be misunderstood by those who cut together these articles; those who don't read them but get it second-hand and by those who have done the interview because it touches on only the smallest amount said.

Well, at least he still has his fans. Oh wait a minute...

Good post, backs up Clarksville's and others' point about selective gateway from interview to article. :thumb:

Besides it being yet another time-wasting; interviewer-obsessed; busy scissors (editing him out the page) interview, at least we did get to shed some slight light on matters concerning Morrissey, which we may have had an inkling over but now it's been confirmed. If we can go by this interview.

We know he drinks Fanta, which isn't really revelatory but I'll take great delight in over the Coca-Cola brigade at work. I always knew it was the best drink.

We know he emails, which had been mentioned before but was never confirmed. A fiver for anyone who can obtain it.

He still has the ability to stop traffic; shake the British press and its pond life to its core.

He is still one of the foremost commentators on British life. His one quote that still stood intact on when you become involved with an other human being was bang on the money and still shows he has the ability to interpret the working-classes like no other.

His wit is still there, although a lot of it wasn't in print, being that we had to find out what Simon thtought of the whole thing. The best being his quip to Simon - 'you're Vince Cable'.

His autobiography is now complete and as it will be all his own words, will hopefully provide us with a more conclusive and coherent account of what the hell has been going on than a poet's wet dream ever could.

So all in, more positive from him and for those who wished to and had actually succeeded in reading the article. What is maddening and saddening is that you had those fractions of fans (if you call them that) who had made their mind up before actually having read the article and then those who done so thereafter, even though if you had read the article, you'll see there was very little of Morrissey in it and when there was, despite the ill-advised Chinese comment, that in itself, besides being clumsy, still shows he cares beyond belief about the very thing that got most into him, he still has the ability to be as charming; as thoughtful and as magical as ever.

To say that he was nasty; bitter and twisted is so off the mark, as with any interview he's done, he likes to jostle; probe and play with the interviewer as much as the interviewer does with him. I can only assume this is either his way of dealing with it or that he has a genuine interest in others and their well-being. This isn't a bad thing.

Also to say he wasn't interested or was being obviously obtuse is wrong because he even Simon says, he stayed around a long time after the interview, so there must have either been some sort of a connection or as he said, conversation had dried up but Morrissey was still happy to entertain him.

Again, we don't know the circumstances in which the interview took place; what mood he was in or heaven forbid, whether he actually got paid or done it of his own free time. Unfortunately the majority are basing it one hamfisted but none the less, heartfelt comment and marking him out as being a racist when in the next breath, they mention his eulogy to Melissa, who to my limited knowledge may have herself been considered as being ethnic.

Of course Simon goes on to say that there was a lot of talk and dramatic statements throughout the day, so why did he see fit to only publish this one? Where are the rest? Or is this the best one to sell papers? It's hard not to defend Morrissey because again; everything he has ever said when in print or person has been genuine; of kindness; care and concern but again he's being judged on an article that completely cut out and has only the bare bones of quotes; either cut off or quoted to suit the idea of the interviewer. It's not an a poor interviewer; nor is it an assassination; it was done out of love but again reveals nothing of the man; reflects nothing of who he is as a person and at best, conveys someone still actively involved in what he believes in but who will forever be misunderstood by those who cut together these articles; those who don't read them but get it second-hand and by those who have done the interview because it touches on only the smallest amount said.

Well, at least he still has his fans. Oh wait a minute...

Full marks, couldn't agree more

The circumstances of the interview were he has product to promote.

His reaction to the news article about the treatment of animals in China sounds like it was a pre-meditated choice of word (to me.) Again we'll never know. But I can't get that leaked e-mail from 2006 out of my mind.

Morrissey has been in the public eye for nearly 30 years. Whether he likes it or not. He knows how to play the game and for better or worse he knows how to create a controversy.

I will continue to find his sub-species comment offensive. I am in no way a memebr of the PC brigade, I just think language like that hinders rather than helps. Anyone or anything. I have defended Morrissey before on the latest racist hoo-has that emerge but that comment is offensive (for me.)

I'm off to skin a cat

Different Jake, different Jake.
Its not. Theres a rather substantial post on the main page detailing the Jake Owen/ Walters conundrum. As long as you can wade through all the Moz-apologists and politically correct brigade
doing the kewpie: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83728&highlight=interesting
this was what you meant?
theyre was always one jake. the owen is most likely his second name.
or it was simply misprinted

I love the last para:

A black cloud has been stuck up Morrissey's ass for a while, so I'm pretty sure he HATES ALL PEOPLE. Bitch is like the Emo Scrooge. I'm not defending his words, but if he could live on a deserted island with only his cats he would. But he'd probably still find a tree trunk or some shit to yell at.​

So true.

In his own statement he said "What are the apologists going to say this time? It looks like in his old age Morrissey has forgotten to include the ambiguity, like he has done in the past. Maybe he just doesn't care any more."

Dave

I love Morrissey and all that, but!...and listen good....I am not now, nor have I ever been, lodged in his rectum! This is how rumors get started!

:mad::mad::mad::crazy:

I love Morrissey and all that, but!...and listen good....I am not now, nor have I ever been, lodged in his rectum! This is how rumors get started!

:mad::mad::mad::crazy:

Uh-oh. I've already seen a Guardian article appear on their site, discussing the outbreak of the "black cloud anus controversy". It's actually a blog entry from a concerned staff writer asking readers for their reactions to tomorrow's news report describing readers' furious reactions to a news report scheduled for publication next Thursday. The Guardian is nothing if not proactive.

THIS. :thumb:

Uh-oh. I've already seen a Guardian article appear on their site, discussing the outbreak of the "black cloud anus controversy". It's actually a blog entry from a concerned staff writer asking readers for their reactions to tomorrow's news report describing readers' furious reactions to a news report scheduled for publication next Thursday. The Guardian is nothing if not proactive.

It wasn't me and I can prove it!! I'm constantly on the internet, for starters, and I don't think that even Morrissey has a wi-fi hotspot on his g-spot!

Morrissey's complete lack of humility regarding other poets and musicians reminds me of Mozart...not one of Mozart's most sparkling personality traits. :straightface:

Morrissey's complete lack of humility regarding other poets and musicians reminds me of Mozart...not one of Mozart's most sparkling personality traits. :straightface:

But Morrissey adores many poets, especially John Betjeman who actually was the Poet Laureate for a while.

At a reading by Nobel poet Seamus Heaney tonight in Dublin, I spotted many illuminati carousing afterwards, including Alan Rickman, Fiona Shaw, Eaman Carr, Brian Friel...:cool:

I can't help but contrast this article with the one Douglas Coupland wrote a few years ago. They both seemed to be hoping for some connection with Morrissey, some acknowledgment of them as an artist or a peer, his blessing, or whatever, and neither got it. Coupland concluded that Morrissey was, "interview-proof," which is correct.

Is anyone here familiar with Armitage's poetry? What I've read is very unstunning. Perhaps I've missed something?

But Morrissey adores many poets, especially John Betjeman who actually was the Poet Laureate for a while.

At a reading by Nobel poet Seamus Heaney tonight in Dublin, I spotted many illuminati carousing afterwards, including Alan Rickman, Fiona Shaw, Eaman Carr, Brian Friel...:cool:

Yeah but Kylie Minogue? :tears::p

Here's your gold, Steve & Co. 40 seconds. ANd of course the sentiment of the entire song, a whole stack of keys. Gimme my life back now. :mad: And stay away from unreinforced concrete masonry buildings for awhile.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGykXOamGqE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGykXOamGqE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Morrissey with cat on his head

morrissey_cat.JPG

No stranger to oddball photo shoots, Brit-rock iconoclast Morrissey appears on the cover of tomorrow’s Guardian Weekend magazine with a cat perched atop his unsmiling head for a feature headlined “Bigmouth strikes again: Morrissey lets rip.”
The folks at the Guardian are hyping the cover and Simon Armitage’s interview on Twitter today, but are remaining mum about its contents, aside from deputy editor Katharine Viner’s claim that, “He has some sparkling lines — with one appalling expection.”
That, of course, already has Moz fans, er, atwitter, worried that the singer has mouthed off again like he did during an infamous 2007 interview with the NME in which he aired his feelings on immigration, reportedly saying, “Although I don’t have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears.” He later sued the publication over the quotes.
UPDATE: The Morrissey interview is posted, and, sure enough, already is causing a bit of a brouhaha, at least according to the Guardian itself, which has posted a separate story claiming Moz “reignites a simmering row about his views on race” with new comments about China’s poor animal rights record: “Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare?” Morrissey asks Armitage. “Absolutely horrific. You can’t help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies.”

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2010/09/03/morrissey-guardian-weekend-cover-cat-on-his-head/

edit: I think I am late to the party with my news. Merge where best fit.

Last edited:
Is anyone here familiar with Armitage's poetry? What I've read is very unstunning. Perhaps I've missed something?

You've missed nothing. It's as if you're reading a fifteen year-old Stuart Murdoch's diary entries from his "Auden phase". Not bad, exactly, but...

I can't help but contrast this article with the one Douglas Coupland wrote a few years ago. They both seemed to be hoping for some connection with Morrissey, some acknowledgment of them as an artist or a peer, his blessing, or whatever, and neither got it. Coupland concluded that Morrissey was, "interview-proof," which is correct.

yeah, I had a similar feeling. celebrity interviews with S Morrissey simply don't work. he becomes too guarded and defensive.
in fact, I'm wondering whether interviews with him are a good idea at all these days. the best stuff I've read in recent times has been when he's published his thoughts via True to You, or responded to written questions from fans.

Tags
scans
Back
Top Bottom