Morrissey on Guardian

Pics very shortly. There's a full page portrait of Moz sitting on a roof that the frinkers will like.

P.

"If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." Philip 1986

Morrissey the Prince Philip of pop!:lbf:

prince-phillip-defies-cancer-scare-415x275.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/03/morrissey-china-subspecies-racism

Morrissey said in a statement tonight: "If anyone has seen the horrific and unwatchable footage of the Chinese cat and dog trade – animals skinned alive – then they could not possibly argue in favour of China as a caring nation. There are no animal protection laws in China and this results in the worst animal abuse and cruelty on the planet. It is indefensible."

Armitage said Morrissey was typically and deliberately provocative throughout the interview. "I thought at the time it was a dangerous thing to say into a tape recorder. He must have known it would make waves, he's not daft," he said. "But he's provocative and theatrical, and it was one of dozens of dramatic pronouncements. I'm not an apologist for that kind of remark, and couldn't ignore it. But clearly, when it comes to animal rights and animal welfare, he's absolutely unshakable in his beliefs. In his view, if you treat an animal badly, you are less than human. I think that was his point.

I got a phone call this morning off my daughter saying Morrissey had been arrested in China ...HAHA.

Scans/Pics here

Some of the edges have been cut off because the pages of the magazine are just a little too big for the scanner. Sorry.

2bruj4.jpg

33lgrnm.jpg

24pcvbc.jpg

2vtbnkl.jpg

Thanks for the scans UnclePeter

I love the sub heading "Singer has history of controversy in interviews"

Like when he told unemployed people to paint on the One Show :lbf:

Dave

He's becoming a right bitter old queen.
His treatment of Simon Armitage is just plain rude and rather aggressive.
As for the "sub species" remark, :crazy:

If anyone on this site posted such a remark they would rightfully be shot down in flames but with Morrissey,"oh,that's just Morrissey..."

Well,if that is just Morrissey,he's a twat. (a great performer and writer,though)

I dont like the tone of this interview.The questions are quite stupid,and this patronizing attitude,and those stupid gifts,omg:squiffy:.He gave him his own book as a gift,:crazy:A"poet"bwahahaha!!!Moron!

edit:An arrogant moron.

Last edited:
It's near impossible to say. He seemed a bit silly to me e.g. " I am meeting him of course, that's a given, but is he meeting me?" Doh! Don't forget Armitage was left with the power to structure how the conversation is represented. The Guardian hasn't been Morrissey's best friend in the past year or so; some partisan interest may well linger.

That's a very good point, goinghome, but it still sounds like making excuses for him. I can't see how or why a fan like Armitage would deliberately want to paint Moz badly, or even why The Guardian would for that matter. Morrissey has a habit of condemning himself from his own mouth, and I don't think it's plausible or realistic to blame every journalist who interviews him for the way that he comes across. Morrissey creates hostility more than he battles against it.

I dont like the tone of this interview.The questions are quite stupid,and this patronizing attitude,and those stupid gifts,omg:squiffy:.He gave him his own book as a gift,:crazy:A"poet"bwahahaha!!!Moron!

You're being ridiculous. Armitage tried to be nice to Morrissey and Moz was an absolute twat to him in return.

Do people really expect Morrissey to mould his tongue in order to fit comfortably with popular opinion? The day he does we will have lost something precious. He has always been sharp and cutting, but his 'targets' have been palatable to most.

Morrissey is being deliberately grandiose here. Knowingly throwing himself once again into the pit. Animals cannot speak, but he knows that he has the power to catapult the issue. I've heard mainstream politicians say pretty much the same thing about China's human rights record, albeit with more diplomatic language. Morrissey doesn't pussy foot.

Last edited:
Im just happy that Morrissey likes..

(I promise I will never post something like this again.. ever)

Pussies...

*hides*

You're being ridiculous. Armitage tried to be nice to Morrissey and Moz was an absolute twat to him in return.
Really?

"Do you own a valid driving licence?"

"What kind of bland, insipid question is that?"

"It's a good question, isn't it? Has anyone asked you it before?"

"No. But that's hardly a surprise, is it?"

"I thought it was a beauty.":crazy::crazy:
(Morrissey's answer:Why? Because you consider me incapable of operating such large and complex pieces of engineering?")

"And I have a little gift for you," I add, pulling my latest slim volume out of my bag.

He spins around on the thick carpet and walks towards the staircase. Except half way down the corridor he opens the book of poems and pulls out – forgive me, people, but who wouldn't have? – a Scaremongers CD.

"Did you know you'd left this in here?" he asks.

"Er, sort of," I admit."

This guy is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something, I gleaned from the article that Armitage enjoyed the encounter- the witty repartee, insights, Morrissey's affection for his fan base. The chinese comment wasn't framed in a derogatory way, and the part about being replaced by a moggy was funny. Also The Autobiography is nearing conclusion! YAY!!!!! (Ps. Why was he drinking Fanta. Having asked for a Coca Cola in a vegetarian restaurant the emnity from the waitress taught me never to ask for soft drinks again)

It's already getting television news coverage. In true Chinese Whispers style the original quote and context have been relegated in the cause of a good story.

I don't like the tone of Morrissey referring to millions of people as a sub-species. In fact its appalling. Having personally witnessed sustained bigotry from a neandarthal ignorant wanker who insinuated that certain races are a sub-species I am disgusted with Morrissey's comment, whether in or out of context.

Feel free to defend him all you like but as his talent dries up (re-released records from 20 years ago) and he turns into a bigoted old man I think he should really consider doing the honourable thing. And men in their fifties should not wear trainers. They're like a f***ing sub-species

Really?

"Do you own a valid driving licence?"

"What kind of bland, insipid question is that?"

"It's a good question, isn't it? Has anyone asked you it before?"

"No. But that's hardly a surprise, is it?"

"I thought it was a beauty.":crazy::crazy:
(Morrissey's answer:Why? Because you consider me incapable of operating such large and complex pieces of engineering?")

"And I have a little gift for you," I add, pulling my latest slim volume out of my bag.

He spins around on the thick carpet and walks towards the staircase. Except half way down the corridor he opens the book of poems and pulls out – forgive me, people, but who wouldn't have? – a Scaremongers CD.

"Did you know you'd left this in here?" he asks.

"Er, sort of," I admit."

Oh come on lighten up he wanted to seqeway into discussing cars as old gents like to do... it was unsuccessful but a humorous exchange none the less, otherwise he would have left it out of the finished article. The present was funny as was the fact that Morrissey replaced him with a cat. There are always some fans that seethe with jealousy after an interview and pick apart every word, flaw. It was entirely humorous. Of course Morrissey knew who Simon was he doesn't agree to being interviewed by any joe smoe after the N.M.E. debacle.

Tags
scans
Back
Top Bottom