Morrissey should do a cover version of...

It just struck me. Morrissey should do a cover version of The Misfits song "Saturday night".
I heard it for the first time just a minute or so ago, and I spontaneously started thinking "this almost sounds like a 00's Morrissey song, with some added fuzzy distortion to the guitar sound".
I think it would fit him perfect, with an arrangement suited to his style.

I guess there will be some elitist kind of replies to this unfortunately...so be it though. This was just a thought I got now, and wanted to share.

What about Saturday Night by The Dwarves? "I once had a girl in Phoenix/by a railroad track/and I left that girl in pieces/in an Arizona shack" - sounds perfect to me!

or better still, Whigfield.

"Da ba da dan dee dee dee da
Nee na na na - be my baby
Da ba da dan dee dee dee da
Nee na na na - pretty baby"

Am I the only one who thinks that Moz would do a great version of Dizzee Rascal's 'Bonkers'? :confused:

With a lyrical ability like his, why would he need to cover songs?

He wouldn't need to, of course. If you've seen his setlists during the last...5 years though, he does perform some cover songs at concerts.

I should add that I meant that the music(/vocal melody) of the song I mentioned seemed fitting to Moz' style, while I haven't read the lyrics, so I wasn't referring to those.

And...of course I got some elitist kind of replies to this particular topic! They probably haven't even listened to the song. Blah blah

Last edited:
I guess there will be some elitist kind of replies to this unfortunately...so be it though. This was just a thought I got now, and wanted to share.

You, my good sir, are a boorish lout who obviously do not possess a grain of sense or taste.

There, that's that dispensed with, leaving us free to get on with the question at hand, which is actually a very good one. :)

Definitely Scott Walker's "The seventh seal". Maybe The Hollies' "The air that I breathe". Current 93's "A sorrow song", although that's as likely as an asphalt souffle. "Till Victory" or "We Three" by Patti Smith. Probably something or other by the Tindersticks - "Let's pretend"?

cheers

My life would be complete if he ever recorded Marc Almond's 'Say Hello, Wave Goodbye'. :eek:

In fact, I would happily go to the grave with that 7" vinyl in the coffin with me. :thumb:

My life would be complete if he ever recorded Marc Almond's 'Say Hello, Wave Goodbye'. :eek:

In fact, I would happily go to the grave with that 7" vinyl in the coffin with me. :thumb:

a fantastic song ! great songwriter and lyricist ! had the mother fist album at the arse end of the 80's (still have it somewhere) .. baroque pop at its best !

One for my baby, one more for the road or what is this thing called love?

Where or When by Peggy Lee (with the Benny Goodman Trio).

I can just imagine Morrissey singing it. He'd work wonders with the vocal melody. Plus some of the lyrics would sound perfect coming from him:

"The clothes you're wearing, you were wearing then..." and "some things that happened for the first time are happening again..."

It's just a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnA78ravpY

...A Live encore of "Ernie (fastest milkman in the West)" would bleed my sobbing heart dry....or even better....It's B side......

PS, to all the "Say hello, wave goodbye" fans.....Search out the 12 inch Version.....There is some sincerely AMAZING Sax/Horn playing.....sorry, I No longer have it, or I would have tried to "Post" it here...

Where's Kewpie? She usually says this thread was posted (insert date here):lbf:

How about Paranoid by Black Sabbath?

One for my baby, one more for the road or what is this thing called love?

Yes, yes, yes. :thumb:

This is the song I've always wanted to hear Morrissey sing, especially if he sang it like Cole Porter did, in that slow, mournful, eerie way. It would be swoon worthy.

Back
Top Bottom