Morrissey t-shirt with the queen in 2015 tour merchandise / @morrisseygang image

Re: Morrissey tshirt with the queen "The more you ignore me, the closer I get"

Take them to the cleaners. It's your work, you made it clear your terms, and if what you say is accurate, they've ridden rough-shod over your wishes. If you need legal advice, let me know, I'm married to a lawyer.

P.

*EDIT* I note it's not exactly the same image. There's a different queen. Hmm. Not sure. I'll ask for you. But I would have thought that there's a clear line of communication, they took your idea, they are making money from it, and you are not.

Last edited:
Team Morrissey's routinely forgets that it's 2015 and the audience has a voice too, thanks to the internet and social media. He likes to put out big statements on TTY, but has never wanted any true dialogue with the masses. Which is fine. But if you lie, cheat, evade, or steal, eventually someone will come out with the truth [or at least a reasonable conflicting account], as we have seen time and time again over the years. Classic example: cancelling a show in San Fran only to be photographed out drinking. LOL. Memories.....

For the record, I dislike both the original artwork and this T-shirt. But it certainly does seem a concept was stolen. Doubtful any money was lost, as the images never belonged to the original poster anyway, but credit where credit is due would certainly be appropriate by Team Moz.

Agreed on many accounts but the damage is done. Morrissey is in the news once again as a thief when I suspect he wasn't the thief in the first place.

I really dislike being agitated at people for doing stupid things due to lack of education/insight/reason. But I have no choice but to be angry when all this could have been avoided were it not for a certain stubbornness to PRETEND Morrissey is entitled to more money. And who is getting half this press? THE QUEEN. THe very woman he wants to suppress he is now putting in the spotlight and all the Buckinghammies are going to lambast Moz in the morning for this stupid shit and IGNORE his songs, his voice, his passion, the things that matter. The merch stand doesn't matter. Money doesn't matter. f***!

BIG PICTURE PEOPLE!!! Scrap your stupid tiny battles and look at the big picture.

Yay! SPIN picked it up. Maybe Morrissey's Design Team should think about looking at the big picture before rationalizing their way out of their hole. :straightface: This is NOT helping Morrissey. Are you on his side or not?

16598617817_182ef5b267_c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is it? That's my question. This isn't thievery, it's stupidity that was easily avoidable.

It could have also been avoided by clarifying it in private. I don't understand this need to shout everyting from the rooftops (yes, I know Morrissey does it, too. So don't hold that one against me). But those internet news sites are not a whit better, really. They pick up every nonsense no matter how minor it is and exaggerate it immensely and that without checking the facts too deeply beforehand. As the internet user you have to be aware of the fact how fast stories go around and how fast they get picked up by people. Therefore you should think twice. Just saying.

You are famous now, fyi, artwork is not worth that much, MLB only gets 10% royalties. I would have asked to speak to the man, would have been worth it.

The reality is, is that x thousand people will see the T shirt at the arenas over the next few weeks and will not give a shit about all our opinions on here or even know this forum exists. Some will buy the T shirts, show them to their mates, have a good snigger but will never wear them in public.

Life goes on

Yay! SPIN picked it up. Maybe Morrissey's Design Team should think about looking at the big picture before rationalizing their way out of their hole. :straightface: This is NOT helping Morrissey. Are you on his side or not?

16598617817_182ef5b267_c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is it? That's my question. This isn't thievery, it's stupidity that was easily avoidable.

it sure is, they even emailed asking for permission. but since the creator of the artwork didnt simply give it way they took it.
very unethical, he should just not bother about the veggies and shove cheesburgers down his neck.

It could have also been avoided by clarifying it in private. I don't understand this need to shout everyting from the rooftops (yes, I know Morrissey does it, too. So don't hold that one against me). But those internet news sites are not a whit better, really. They pick up every nonsense no matter how minor it is and exaggerate it immensely and that without checking the facts too deeply beforehand. As the internet user you have to be aware of the fact how fast stories go around and how fast they get picked up by people. Therefore you should think twice. Just saying.

I should think twice? Am I in charge of his media/reputation/marketing campaign? No I am not. THEY should think twice. I'm not responsible for the news outlets picking this up, I'm just a random person commenting on the shady nature of it. For all I know Morrissey made the design and was testing the veracity of his design staff and made it public.

Last edited:

They disagreed with that permission so much that they used it on TTY. There is a clear artistic direction here. But, I will get some legal clarity on it.

P.

Thank you.. I appreciate that.... I just wanted Moz to know who made it.. and if he really liked it to say thank you, I liked it. I love his music.. and for him to have done that would have been enough. I dont have too many accomplishments but I guess I can count on this one being a big one.. even if he will never know whos heart it came from

They asked out of courtesy, borrowed out of discourtesy. They aren't legally obliged to ask permission but probably did so on moral grounds - quickly undone. Morrissey and crew probably also did not seek legal permission to use queen image. Since you own neither image, you have no claim and are in fact in violation of their copyright by reproducing. Either way, the shirt is a tacky bit of clip art.

The image of Morrissey is his copyrighted image, and that old queen is public domain. Maybe ask for a few free shirts, but you deserve no money. Yo! Mporiun, contact me, and I'll make decent and tasteful merch. I'm a professional designer, and I'll do the work for free (with the caveat of getting a box of free samples).

You guys need to steer clear of the jokey, hokey shirts, and the ghetto stuff needs to go. Morrissey should aim for the taste and style we see him wearing.

Last edited:
maybe one should turn over ones boyfriend to moz upon request too, like in a cult.

This is the key word. The original artist made the collage IN THE SPIRIT OF ART. Morrissey's team cribbed the art IN THE SPIRIT OF MAKING MONEY. A judge would side for the artist in a hot second, you might as well cut him a check today.

The collage contains copyrighted artwork of Morrissey. No checks will be cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad you just can't be happy he used it

this.

- - - Updated - - -

this is karma for all the music you stole from him

and this :)

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback. Although these two images were not mine to begin with, I did put a lot of time and effort into creating them. A simple "We love your work and would love to see it on a shirt" would have sufficed for me. I have listened to his music for over twenty years and will continue to do so. Im sure with his busy schedule and all the demands he has in his life he was not involved in this. AS for the stealing of images, hey I took them too too make what is now a cool tshirt... but here is one image that they cant steal because I took it myself.. enjoy...
untitled-by-amadorscarlett

The collage contains copyrighted artwork of Morrissey. No checks will be cut.

- - - Updated - - -

this.

They did so while making a parody. The parody was never intended to generate profit. Morrissey's people took the parody image that was copyrightable by the collage artist and copied the image in order to generate profit.

Money is the sticky wicket in this entire situation, not Morrissey's image.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback. Although these two images were not mine to begin with, I did put a lot of time and effort into creating them. A simple "We love your work and would love to see it on a shirt" would have sufficed for me. I have listened to his music for over twenty years and will continue to do so. Im sure with his busy schedule and all the demands he has in his life he was not involved in this. AS for the stealing of images, hey I took them too too make what is now a cool tshirt... but here is one image that they cant steal because I took it myself.. enjoy...
untitled-by-amadorscarlett

Double ellipsis..

You're sleeping on the couch tonight, buddy.

MorrisseyGang, sorry this happened to you. I actually think you have a case here, since your idea was stolen. In addition to that, you were contacted, asked permission and offered compensation, but the other side did not follow through and just stole your work. I don't think your compensation would be based on amount of tshirts sold, although it could be, but rather the worth of your idea. I would say your idea is worth a lot now since the shirts are printed and being sold.

For all of you saying that this Moz's image and this artist has no right to it, do any of you believe Moz is using the image of the queen with her consent?

MorrisseyGang, sorry this happened to you. I actually think you have a case here, since your idea was stolen. In addition to that, you were contacted, asked permission and offered compensation, but the other side did not follow through and just stole your work. I don't think your compensation would be based on amount of tshirts sold, although it could be, but rather the worth of your idea. I would say your idea is worth a lot now since the shirts are printed and being sold.

For all of you saying that this Moz's image and this artist has no right to it, do any of you believe Moz is using the image of the queen with her consent?

Elizabeth is a public figure. Photos of her can be used as anyone sees fit under Title 17 as Free Use law. MozGang, just ask for some free shirts and maybe an autograph. Start a positive spin, and hope for the best.

Just don't hold your breath. :squiffy:

Elizabeth is a public figure. Photos of her can be used as anyone sees fit under Title 17 as Free Use law. MozGang, just ask for some free shirts and maybe an autograph. Start a positive spin, and hope for the best.

Just don't hold your breath. :squiffy:

Moz is a public figure too, and this would fail under Fair Use and parody. Obvioulsy Moz did not have any problem with the original image because you know he would have sent a cease and desist, which is what I would do right now if I was MorrisseyGang. No, it would not flatter me to be stolen from, not even by Moz. And it's not the first time he's done it.

Moz and this thugs are thieves, plain and simple.

Thank you.. I appreciate that.... I just wanted Moz to know who made it.. and if he really liked it to say thank you, I liked it. I love his music.. and for him to have done that would have been enough. I dont have too many accomplishments but I guess I can count on this one being a big one.. even if he will never know whos heart it came from

I totally understand your feelings here. I remember when I first saw your photo. I thought it was quite original and funny. Showing Morrissey in a humorous light really was a breath of fresh air. I am not at all qualified to judge who has the right to profit from this concept, but from what has been described here you had the original idea to combine the two photos into a greater entertaining image. When you take something personal and turn it over to the universe unexpected things can happen. Unfortunately for you it was not the outcome you would have hoped for, but at the end of the day you know what your input was and that if nothing else it should make you feel some sort of accomplishment. There is more to life than money...or so they say ;)

Elizabeth is a public figure. Photos of her can be used as anyone sees fit under Title 17 as Free Use law.

This is, of course, complete nonsense. But, in any case, US copyright law doesn't really count if you're selling t-shirts in Nottinghamshire.

- - - Updated - - -

They did so while making a parody. The parody was never intended to generate profit. Morrissey's people took the parody image that was copyrightable by the collage artist and copied the image in order to generate profit.

It wasn't really a parody. A parody is something that imitates someone else's style, not just anything that is intended to be humorous.

Tags
mfl morrissey mporium the queen tshirt
Back
Top Bottom