Morrissey's Most Underated Song

Trill

Morrissey has, of course, written some of the most amazing songs ever heard and has been praised highly for them. But some songs, I feel, aren't praised enough even though they're obviously brilliant.

My pick would have to be Shakespeare's Sister. Hardly an obscure track but I don't think it gets the full attention and recognition it deserves. It just sounds so different to anything else The Smiths released at the time. Really fresh and unique. And Morrissey really sounding inspired both lyrically and vocally. Amazing.

I quiet enjoy the song, especially how he played it live during 2004 tour, but I think the production on the original recording is absolutely dreadful

I never understood why King Leer is so bashed - very funny song

Roy's Keen!

Keane.jpg

Also Picadilly Palare for not making it to the semifinals :rolleyes:

And by the Smiths... Wonderful Woman I guess.

My pick would have to be Shakespeare's Sister. Hardly an obscure track but I don't think it gets the full attention and recognition it deserves. It just sounds so different to anything else The Smiths released at the time. Really fresh and unique. And Morrissey really sounding inspired both lyrically and vocally. Amazing.

It's the first song I ever liked by the Smiths. I had Louder than Bombs and rarely went further than this track, playing it over and over again. Always in my top 5.

The Smiths: London, A Rush and a Push and The Land Is Ours
Morrissey: Yes, I Am Blind

The Smiths: London, A Rush and a Push and The Land Is Ours
Morrissey: Yes, I Am Blind

Yes "A Rush And A Push And This Land Is Ours" is really an underrated track. It's a fantastic opener and brilliant lyrics, together with "Death Of A Disco Dancer" it has the finest lyrics on Strangeways. Just loves the caffeine part.

How do you define "underrated" anyway? Is it comparing to There is a light and Everyday is like Sunday?

A Rush And A Push is an excellent song! I've never actually met people who would think otherwise.

Edit: Agree about Unhappy Birthday though. Always surprises me, when I read that it was a poor effort from Morrissey. I think it's absolutely brilliant both musically and lyrically.

Last edited:
I Dont Mind If You Forget Me
Lucky Lisp(even though it sounds very eighties)
King Leer("cute" i think)
I'm The End Of The Family Line
Ambitious Outsiders(i like weird)
America Is Not The World
Alsatian Cousin
London
Never Had No One Ever
Unhappy Birthday
Reel Around The Fountain

I Dont Mind If You Forget Me
Reel Around The Fountain

I agree, I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is terribly underrated.

Reel Around The Fountain should be universally accepted as one of the greatest songs in existence (both versions included)... IMHO of course. :D

How do you define "underrated" anyway? Is it comparing to There is a light and Everyday is like Sunday?

Would guess that it's like an song that you takes as an wonderfull example of The Smiths capability, they don't get much credit even if they're as good as "How Soon Is Now?" for example.

That's my guess.

I agree, I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is terribly underrated.

Reel Around The Fountain should be universally accepted as one of the greatest songs in existence (both versions included)... IMHO of course. :D

Reel Around The Fountain is easily The Smiths best song ever, has been my favourite since the start. The perfect opener and everything, too bad that he dosen't do this live, would prefere it before "I Know It's Over". WOuld be interesting to see how Boz & co would do it live.

I think Morrissey`s most underated song is Driving Your Girlfriend home.

does anyone agree that spring heeled jim should have been a single?
It's one of my favourite moz songs and I love the energy he put in it.

Back
Top Bottom